Jet-lag or Nostalgia

All my friends are mostly foreign because they are just soo more open minded. All of them speak two or three languages. We organize get together and chat about own asperations and we'd like to teach the French about positive thinking and life coaching, we think it's a really good idea!

Wow, that must be really difficult to travel so many hours, do you stop in a city to rest. They say it makes it easier. I'm going to do that next time, stop in Paris and stay a night then hop on the plane back home. It'll make it that much more refreshing. I'll just take into consideration the time it actually takes to travel!

Hi Elena,

From an Aussie who's been here nearly 17 years I have just one thing to say, 'Only you can know why you're doing this, both why you're in France and why you're working in a job you don't have much passion for.' Everything is difficult in the beginning, especially living in a new country, learning a new language or starting a business. However, the heart of the matter is just that: what does your heart tell you? What do you need to learn. Why ARE you here? It's only going to get easier once you decide you know what you want and what you're doing.

I empathise with you but once you are dead clear on your reasons for being here though, you'll find a way through. NO business is profitable when it starts and you'll have to see it through the long haul for a couple of years, giving it your all before it will become so. Even in the US and Australia (where I come from) it takes time for a business to grow. It's just the attitude here is different so it takes a bit longer and much more energy. You'll also need to get over some of your shyness (I remember my own) and surround yourself with French speakers only for a while to speak a bit more French. I've always found the French to be lovely when I made lots of mistakes (and still do), it's a great way to make close friends.

In any case, France has taught me a lot about my own strength and resilience in the face of all odds. Did I need to learn the hard way? Obviously, because I stayed. I can't say that I wouldn't move back to Australia or NZ. In fact in some ways I'd really like to. But I've so many wonderful, true friends here now - mainly French, and a life I've made that I love and suits me, after much effort and learning, that I'm not sure of what the benefit would be any more.

Ask yourself first what you want and need from France. Then the efforts won't be so disheartening :)

xx

trite though it may be, in the different culture, you can find new insights and pleasures. The better your French becomes, the easier your socializing with the French will become. I've been here for 12 years, believe me they can, and do, get past the difficulty our accent presents them. Moreover, it's a beautiful, diverse country with a fascinating history, well worth visiting. E bay is a place to start, but Mairies, neighborhood restaurants and brocantes also offer you the possibility to show off your work.

Good luck.

We fly to and from New Zealand to Europe frequently, usually a mind numbing thirty hours, yes 30 hours, travel time one way. Main tip as already stated but worth repeating, don’t overdo the alcohol, drink plenty of water, make sure you get at least 1.5 - 2 hour slots of sleep, for us this is achieved with the use of pills, make sure you walk the isle, prior to sleep. On arrival we sleep for usually 12-15 hrs making sure we awake around 9-11 am local time, so as to slot into the local time zone.

Yes and Champagne too! It's an old grandmother's cure!

How to cure jet lag though, that's a tough one!

-- Here are some tips to really get back to the subject of JET-LAG

- Management -

Minimize the effects of jet lag by following some advice from your doctor! Before departing, make sure you have all your affairs, business and personal, in order. Don't be stress out, use some zen thoughts and breath. Any try not to be hungover from partying the night before! That is a major pre-flight excitement! And doesn't quite help with shut eye!

- Before the flight -

It is recommended to visit the doctor to plan a coping strategy, including when to take meds any other necessary detail. Get plenty of exercise in the days prior to departure.

One tactic is to attempt to partially adapt to the destination time zone in advance. This includes starting the daily routine some hours before or after one normally does during the week before departure. The use of a light box might help speed up the body's body clock adjustment.

If you’re traveling east, start moving your bedtime earlier and shift it a half-hour earlier each night for several nights before you leave.

Plan according to time zone!

- During the flight -

You should right away change the time on your watch upon takeoff.

One option to counteract jet lag is to break the trip into smaller segments if it is too long and stay overnight in some city (so stop in NY or PARIS). Additionally, it may be advisable to adjust sleeping hours on the plane to match the destination time.

If you drink alot on the plane you probably feel really good in the moment, and it makes it funner to try to walk down the isles. But don't count on practicing for the police officer to the walk on the strait line, it's probably not going to fool anyone. LOL!

Try not to watch too many movies or to top last flight's movie count! You'll make your eyes over-worked and red.

Just drink alot water and bring your blindfolds, ear plugs, neckrests and blow-up pillows. And no the blindfold is not for your lover on the plane! But you can strip off your shoes, bring your slippers!

By the time the dinner is served on the flight, be up nearly 12 hours and hopefully fall dead asleep (or I take another herbal sleep aid).

- Upon arrival -

A helpful way to minimize jet lag is to adapt: eat accordingly. Remember how sleepy you felt after eating all that turkey on Thanksgiving, eat that or a peanut butter sandwich!

Again don't drink too much coffee you'll look like a crack addict with the shakes! Drink more water after to replenish all the dehydration being up in the air did to you. Don't forget the no coffee rule after 2 -3 pm.

Dinner should be carbohydrates (e.g. cereal grains, wheat, rice, oats, potatoes, fruit, peas, pasta , bread, dried fruit) with little protein foods. Carbohydrate foods stimulate melatonin.

Sleep in 4-hour increments. That is how long the sleep cycle is to re-set the cycle and it seems to be true. Also, exposure to sunlight and excersice during the day is helpful!

And just do what the locals do, whatever that is!!

There's some tips for you all!

I totally love indian culture> I know the food is DELICIOUS! As french food is!

Hello Shashvat!

You are super nice and advice is always good even if it's repeated, no one ever said it'll harm anything.

Feeling bad because my boyfriend see's how hard it is for me and tries to make me feel better. I speack french and there will always be a accent and that creates a barrier with the locale. You know how the French can be when they hear the slightest accent they go berserk!

As far as free lance goes it's not so stable but trust me I'd love it to work. Also, I went to different galleries in Toulouse but they are way too 'closed' for a new verging artist like me!

And for socializing I have my own English speaking group but when it comes to his friends,who are all french, I automatically become more quiet because they all are French. So, he see's that and we does less socializing because he sympathizes with me. Trust me I'd like to open my mouth and blab like they do!

So I'm gonna try to focus even if I wish i could be somewhere else anD try selling my art on EbaY?