La Chasse - are they really a law unto themselves?

I’m still an EU citizen!

Very few are true accidents - by UK Police they are now referred to as crashes rather than accidents which infers nobody is to blame.

Excess (or inappropriate) speed is the main reason for crashes giving the driver too short a time to avoid a collision.

1 Like

which is why I used inverted commas… :hugs: covers a multitude …

Wild boar can be a real menace and need to be controlled, so the chasse can prove invaluable.
You might find that you need to ask for their help.

6 Likes

And delicious!

2 Likes

I lost my Simca Rallye to a wild boar on the outskirts of Detmold in Germany in the 70’s. The local Jäger knew he was around and took him down a few days later. The critter caused or was involved in 12 accidents/crashes.

1 Like

As are a lot of us, but we’re still mostly immigrants

We have been told that we have also been adopted by our village.

1 Like

How are you an EU citizen? If we were we could have voted… I am an EU resident but as a UK national I am no longer classified as and EU citizen, and my passport has had EU stripped off it.

1 Like

I think that whatever the brutal realities of Brexit imply for @Jane_Williamson, her obvious hurt and distress are so palpable that the only worthy response is a sympathetic one. It is good that Jane and her husband have been adopted by her village community, and that is testimony to their fidelity to France, and the reciprocal fidelity they’ve earned. That goes infinitely deeper than any man-made treaty IMO.

4 Likes

My continuing research on the subject has given me much to consider, as I am a pacifist, vegan, lover of nature and supporter of British hunt saboteur groups. The killing of any animal except in extreme circumstances is an anathema to me. I had already realised that veganism is even more disregarded in France than it is in the UK, but I hadn’t considered French country life to have such a dark side to it. I understand you can have a word with your maire who will put you touch with the local La Chasse President to request that they do not enter your land, and even put up notices on your land to that effect. But when you are new to an area you want to make friends and fit in, and not be seen as an awkward and somewhat strange outsider. It is not say that there are not already French people with similar views to my own, but 'when in Rome… ’ It has given me much to weigh up and consider and I thank you for your comments.

1 Like

More people in France have a direct link to the land as source of food and income from labour than do in the UK. It makes a difference in all sorts of ways.

9 Likes

From your own description of yourself… it would seem inappropriate to be looking for a property, whose location might well put you slap bang in the middle of so much you abhor. :thinking:

sticking to towns/suburbs might be better…

5 Likes

Hi Stella,
I think you raise a very good point here;
“I know Brits who have fallen in love with the idea of “gorgeous property and so much land… for our money…” only to find themselves cut off from human contact… They never see a soul unless they travel… and now they wish they had a small village/hamlet… within a brisk walk.”
We had been looking for something with land, views and privacy but it was all in the middle of nowhere - we ended up buying a house on the edge of a village. The village in on a hill-top so we have the views, we are on the edge so we have the privacy but as much as we value that we also value having neighbours pop round, neighbours to pop round to and the journey home from café/fete is a 2minute walk and not a drive :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Have you ever seen what a fox has done to chickens or new born lambs?

Exactly so… we live in a village house… originally bought as holiday home/hovel… which we could use as a base to find longterm/final home.

We love this place so much,we’ve never looked any further…
We have all our neighbours at the front… yet we have a valley and endless views out the back… :hugs:

this is a small village… with many second homes… around 35 fulltime breathing souls here at the last count… not sure if that included the cats… :roll_eyes:

of course, the commune itself is big… but still with only a small wideflung population…

1 Like

How can the instinctive behaviour of an animal have any bearing. I abhor hunting as a sport, particularly trophy hunting. I do support hunting where animals have no natural predator as happens with deer in the UK. I cannot comment on hunting in France as I know little about it. I am a meat eater who is very fussy about provenance. I would rather see animal populations controlled by predators like the wolf.

1 Like

Personal observation actually Tim.

Firstly I would like to say I love the work that Catharine and James do with the Survive France site. :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: So what follows is in no way a criticism just an observation.

I am all in favour of the use of the word immigrant or migrant, especially as these are often used an unjustified slur. However for new visitors to the site, I can see how it may be confusing to be told to use the word immigrant when Survive France is described as a site for expats.

4 Likes

La chasse is a world away from the English Fox hunt. As has been stated they are there to help maintain the balance of wildlife in the countryside, not hunt for sport. Many of the horror stories I’ve heard come from people who have entered the countryside already blinkered and being very anti from the start.

2 Likes