La Chasse - are they really a law unto themselves?

But what happened to Red Riding Hood’s Granny?

She’s self isolating :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We’ve had one issue - a meute (hunting with a pack of dogs, rather than the more usual shooting) that broke into someone’s garden and broke down a few fences. That’s in about 10 years.

Most of the hunters round here are very well trained. Carry their guns ‘broken’ when not actually shooting, wear high viz, also provide a useful service to hen owners in keeping the fox population under control. :slight_smile: Plus we have had the occasional pheasant or wild boar leg delivered.

And the chaps we know are: a local farmer; retired army; local baker (hunts on Mondays because the shop is open Sunday). Not posh chaps - they’re interested in hunting but they are also interested in having game for supper.

We did warn the guys who hunt the field out the back once that our ginger cat had got lost and they promised to keep an eye out (he came back some time the next day). “Don’t worry, we don’t shoot cats, there’s not enough meat on them” !

2 Likes

Boar given to the dogs? If I were fourtunate enough to get the occasional leg I would not waste it on the dogs.

It’s mainly the bones of boar and deer, but usually a kg or two of meat on them. But given reports of the amount of lead in wild game I’m not sure I’d eat it even if we did eat much meat…

Enjoy…I love these guys “les chevaliers du fiel” :star_struck:

Lead would only be a problem if you were to eat feathered game and rabbits and hares. You don’t hunt sangliers and chevreuil with a shot gun.

3 Likes

Sorry David but they do here, I know because I was shot at a few months ago, if it had been a rifle I wouldn’t writing this now!

Hi Tim… Glad you escaped … :roll_eyes:

but la Chasse should not be hunting Sanglier/Chevreuil with a shotgun… there are specific rules about the weapons and their use.

If an animal must be killed, the aim is to ensure a swift, clean kill… so the animal does not suffer unnecessarily.

I do think it makes sense to wear something brightly coloured when you go out to avoid confusion with the hunters for safety.

I have tried various options with differing levels of success.

I have had mixed results with my current brightly coloured clothes:

6 Likes

La Chasse have to be given permission by the Prefecture to hunt anything… and the information should be available to the public via the local Mairie.

I thoroughly enjoy scanning the Notice Boards… helps my French… and keeps me abreast of what is going on…

and, yes, a bright gilet or clothing is a good idea when out walking … anywhere.

Too often, we have only seen a walker at the last moment, when driving along a country road… same goes for cyclists, especially when they don’t have lights…

“Be Seen, Be Safe” I’m sure that was part of a road-safety project some years ago… and it still holds good today… :relaxed: :relaxed: for roads and in the wild… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The guy that shot at us broke a cardinal rule - shooting in the direction of a road, he got excited when a deer ran in front of him and just let loose with both barrels, luckily as he was using shot we weren’t harmed. We never ever walk on the chemins on hunt days but foolishly assumed that we were safe on a public road, nope.

1 Like

Tim… did you report the incident…???

We are certainly selective when we take our dog out for a walk although for the past month things have been very quiet.

No, it is an issue, and recommended only to eat it three times a year and not at all if you are pregnant. See here

Although hunting had been extended to 30th March this year, the confinement order on 17th March stopped it, and fishing.

Again many thanks to those who have commented and helped educate me on this particular part of French countryside life and at least now I go in with my vegan animal loving eyes wide open. Thankfully, both my spouse and I, and our two small dogs, already have our ‘gilets jaunes’ so will at least be suitably attired for any walks into the countryside. I have also dug out my father’s old football referee’s whistle to warn hunters we might see of our presence (and hopefully scare off any prey they might be stalking). And, if (a very big if at the moment) we do manage to move to and settle in France then I know it will be up to us to fit into the French way of life as much as possible. We don’t want to be known as “Les étranges hommes anglais”, well not forever.

3 Likes

Soil and water contamination are hot topics… and work is afoot across France to reduce/remove it. (has been for some time now… in our area)

The 3 Chasse in our commune used to get together for a clay-pigeon shooting competition followed by a super meal… an annual event, well supported by locals and visitors alike…

By tradition, it was always on a certain farmer’s land… but maybe 10 years ago, his earth/land was tested and found to be high in lead… so everything ceased and clean-up began… He had to protect his livestock and his crops… and all of us, of course…

Incidentally, as a precaution, when we have the annual fireworks. in the village… there is a group who scavenge all the bits and bobs from the surrounding fields, to avoid contamination… yet picnickers still leave plastic etc around and this is becoming a great source of death/contamination within the natural world…

3 Likes

Have you ever seen what a hunter does to an animal? I have and its disgusting, they do not hunt to keep populations down they hunt out of sheer perversion! Animals kill to survive not for fun! There are too many humans in this world maybe they need shooting too!

2 Likes

Try lookng at some anti chasse websites and you will see what the hunters are really capable of. Stay away from rural areas is a must if you are vegan - try properties in small towns. Good luck Steve.

Are you putting yourself forward?