La mannschaft

I remember being told that the regimental nickname for 2 RTR came from it recruiting from Somerset, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and SE England with many troopers coming from farming families.

My late father was a Lance Crafty in Real Engineering Made Easy back in the early 1950s.

It was said my regiment’s cap badges (one at the front, one at the back) were connected by a bolt which went through the wearer’s head. It has been merged twice since my time but they kept the back badge.
:heart:Glosters. Edited to say I was only TA.

2 Likes

Ah, but was it true? And if it was, has the bolt (perhaps due to MoD cost cutting) since gone the way of so many other traditions?

Think I’ve previously posted somewhere on SF about Neolithic trepanning (as of course, so many of us regulalrly do) but hadn’t realised this was also much more recently practised in the British army.

Or these days, does the Army just use self-tappers?

How far am I allowed to go on this forum? Should we start a new thread with an 18 certificate?

1 Like

We have fun translating expressions literally. One of our favourites is the German “tote Hose”. This is what you say if you’re in a town or a place where absolutely nothing is going on, “Hier ist tote Hose”, literally “Here is dead trousers”. It’s even better in French, “pantalon mort”!