Language requirement for carte de sejour

In that case no language requirement.

1 Like

Just to reconfirm…

Yep - you did misread the page . There is NO language requirement for the permanent CdS for EU nationals. The permanent card (aka the 10 year card - same thing) needs to be renewed every 10 years - simply to update it - photo, chip etc just as you do with a passport. It’s simply a renewal, not a re-application, no big deal.

I don’t think I did, and I made the same observation that you just did - you can renew the 10 year CdS for which there is no requirement to show proficiency in French.

But the requirements for “CdS Permanent” do seem to have the language thing.

What I don’t have a handle on is why one might apply for a CdS Permanent, rather than just renew every 10 years - unless its tied up with citizenship in some way?

The 10 year CdS is the permanent one Paul. The only difference arises where you are, or are not an EU citizen. No language requirement for EU citizens. Take another look at the page link you provided - there are 2 tabs under 'demande de carte’.

As already stated - the permanent card needs to be renewed every 10 years - for obvious reasons.

And both have the phrase “preuve de votre connaissance suffisante de la langue française, notamment le Dilf (si vous avez moins de 65 ans)”.

Doesn’t sound terribly “permanent”. :slight_smile:

Paul - let’s put this to bed :slight_smile: I’ll show you mine if you show me yours…

Copy of my CdS below (or most of it at least!)- clearly indicating Séjour Permanent (centre, bottom). It still needs to be renewed every 10 years though and no language test was required to obtain it. Just have a chat with your local Prefecture.

3 Likes

Gosh, I will have to ‘dig out’ my previous Cds’, I know that I am on the system, I moved here when they were obligatory.
Only one worry, my photos were taken when I was just a ‘young thing’, I suppose they will have to be updated, maybe I can airbrush the wrinkles away !

2 Likes

I’m only reporting what it says on the bloody website.

I don’t mind you saying I am wrong but telling me that when I’m actually trying to make a little sense of it myself without a decent explanation is a bit irritating.

The phrase is there, for both tabs, depending on whether you have “signé de contrat d’intégration républicaine” - I was rather hoping someone who lives in France could shed some more light on that.

As to 10 years vs permanent my quip above was not meant to signify disagreement, hence the smiley.

However I wonder whether there is an error and that phrase should not be included on the tab for “CdS longue séjour EU” - if I look up “contrat d’intégration républicaine” I find this page which says: “Le contrat d’intégration républicaine (CIR) est conclu entre l’État français et tout étranger non européen admis au séjour en France souhaitant s’y installer durablement,”

So that undertaking/contract would not seem to concern EU citizens?

Paul, this is the list of requirements sent out by the prefecture in Poitiers. Since December 1st British residents in the department send copies of the relevant documents by post and await an email telling them that their card is ready to collect and giving an appointment to do so. There is no language requirement.

http://www.vienne.gouv.fr/content/download/18528/115744/file/SupportingDocuments.pdf

And I feel bound to add that the procedure operated by the Préfecture in St Lo (Manche) has been and remains quite different from the systems operating elsewhere, as applications are received but no receipt was given, and no notifications of any kind have yet been issued (in our case since April) presumably because of the uncertainty surrounding Brexit.

I am not aware that any applications from UK/EU citizens have been fulfilled by St Lo by the issue of a Titre de Sejour.

If there is no ‘deal’, then our applications for Titre de Sejour (which were told EU citizens did not need) will be invalidated by our leaving the EU and relinquishing our EU entitlements. The application form was clearly marked for the use of EU citizens.

That makes sense to me so I fail to see how it doesn’t seem prudent for the French to wait until dawn on 30 March when we’ve brexited. Then it may seem obviously right for them to shred all the pending dossiers, and start the process over again in the light of altered circumstances.

If there is a ‘deal’, or if Article 50 is revoked and we remain in the EU, the whole sorry business can be put wearily to rest. Some hopes!

1 Like

You might need this one

That’s my understanding, David @Aquitaine, (re your recommended reading) and we have no illusions about the future scenario in the event of their being no withdrawal agreement.

As we are a retired couple much will depend on the portability of our pensions, and the rate of exchange. If the pound lost value so as to reduce our net income by more than 40% we would be challnged, but presumably we would pay less income tax and have some entitlement to abatements on TdH. We are used to adversity and major material reverses e.g. homelessness and starting over from destitution.

Health insurance might present difficulties, perhaps, but we could budget for basic health cover, and - so far - we are both in good health. I would not struggle to stay alive if struck down with an illness that robbed me of my capacity for self-care. I reckon my wife would take the same position. We are both retired nurses and know the ropes, and when to call it a day!

So keeping fingers crossed and thinking, after Voltaire, “J’ai décidé d’être heureux, parce que c’est bon pour la santé” :grinning::hugs:

1 Like

Here’s the latest (14 Dec 2018) advice from the UK government as far as CdS applications in France go - scroll to the section ‘Registration in France’

1 Like

Health care will not be a problem. If your S1 is withdrawn you will be able to apply through PUMA. Hopefully you will be issued with a 5 year card, lots of people in my area who have only lived in France a couple of years have, and when that needs renewing income will not be an issue. Think positive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow - that is quite a comment @Peter_Goble!

1 Like

I’m still hoping article 50 is revoked…the billions now being ploughed into a no deal brexit are turning my occasional flickers of anxiety into gigantic manic butterflies…x :smile:

1 Like

Well, I suppose it is, Mat, and I have given it thought. But managing a situation in theory is one thing, practice is another.

My philosophy is that I shall face what comes, whatever comes, and trust what comes as it unfolds. My consciousness never presents what it knows I cannot face, and that has never let me down so far.

My relatively short sejour in France has opened my eyes to the cycle of life, mainly through my living, breathing garden and its inhabitants, and the importance of death in closing the circle :o::+1::skull_and_crossbones::grin:

Spooky or what?

2 Likes

A very reassuring touch, David :hugs:, will keep my suuny side up…

1 Like

I don’t think we’re disagreeing on the “normal” CdS, EU citizen or not.

The service-public site wasn’t found by me, it came up in another thread, don’t recall which for a second but it definitely talks about the carte de résident permanent as a thing distinct from a carte de résident de longue durée - UE - I’m not imagining this, my French is good enough to translate what is on the page.

No-one has really said what the carte permanent mentioned is actually about - SImon maintains it is the same as the CdS LD EU 10 ans, but - as I said - the language used suggests it is something different - subtly different perhaps, not different in any practical way perhaps, but different.

It doesn’t help that there are at least three terms - carte résident, carte de séjour and titre de séjour. Are these interchangeable or is there some subtle difference between them.

Thanks @anon87147852 for that up-to-date HMG overview of the various Brexit end-games and their consequences for some of us, maybe.

My general feeling (of misgivings slightly exaggerated by recent shenanigans in Westminster) is that if everything goes pear-shaped for Brits in the EU the blame will be placed at the door of the Brussels bureaucrats for not playing fair and reciprocal, typical of your garlic-guzzling surrender-monkeys (I know that last attribution is an American jibe) . :confused:

Just have to wait and see, eh?