Only collège, not lycée. The closest lycées are in Pgx Berg or Sarlat.
I expect several dog hairdressers too ![]()
Isn’t a collège a secondary school?
Yes but only until 14ish, then lycée.
Thank you Cat for the intro and hello everyone!
We are in California doing our house hunting digitally (and also with the help of an agent Cat recommended, Paul Simper), so all your info is so helpful.
We don’t have the address of the house (you know how secretive the listings are ![]()
We hope to be there in a couple months to see everything in person but meanwhile are trying to hone in on our top properties and area so we don’t spend a year as vagabonds.
No children at home but yes on the pets ![]()
Again, thank you all!
Google satellite view can work if the house is in its own setting, and has some distinguishing features, like a pool, in relation to the house or a river or pond.
I found quite a few houses that way, and it’s quite good fun solving the puzzle..
I’m still looking for a lodger or lodgers and I’m not far away - could be a handy base for house hunting. Pm me if you’re interested, the house is full until the New Year though.
As I noted in an earlier post the author Martin Walker has a property in Le Bugue and the fictional town of St Denis in the Bruno books is strongly based on Le Bugue. If you read any of the books and take note of his description of St Denis you will recognise Le Bugue when you get there.
Thank you for the tip! We do that a lot, and my husband is a bit of a whiz at finding things in Google Earth! But this one doesn’t have a pool so…
Oh that’s great info! Thank you so much. Will keep it in mind!
Oh, I don’t know that book series, but I will definitely check it out. Thank you!
Martin is a dual citizen US and British, you will find a list of his books on various web sites.
I live in a village just south of Le Bugue, and will be delighted to help you with any particular questions - I’ve lived here for 25 years now . . . If you want to ask any “confidential” questions, feel free to PM me.
here is the listing…
Thank you! I am new to the forum so I don’t believe I have PM access…
Hi Melinda - To send a PM to any SF member just right click on their username, then click on ‘message’.
That’s a nice house, fairly priced - and looks to be a good example of what local builders do very well: new houses built in the old style.
Something needs to be looked at in the bedroom with the wet stain coming down the wall. Looks like it was an old person’s home. Interesting that ‘ICI Dordogne’ have been instructed - they are a small outfit without an office in Le Bugue.
This looks to be an attractive property.
I’m not sure it is "new house built in the old style"as the listing description clearly says:
“Major renovation and modernization work will be necessary to reveal the full potential of this character residence. A great opportunity for renovation enthusiasts wishing to create a unique place to live, combining Périgord authenticity and contemporary comfort.”
and the energy listing etc are those for an “old-build”
I know several people who have bought similar old properties in Nouvelle Aquitaine over the years. They’ve done wonderful work to bring the necessary bits and bobs up to modern (eco-friendly) levels whilst maintaining the character and style.
I reckon this property is well worth visiting and thoroughly investigating.
Best of luck @Melinda
Looks nice but there’s a lot to do, you can easily spend the asking price again once you’ve dealt with wiring, plumbing, the fosse septique, the roof etc.
I can’t see the 5th bedroom or have I gone mad. (quite possible)
there are certainly 5 photos with beds, but 1 room looks exactly the same in 2 photos…
ah well.. wish I lived closer I’d love to see this property for real as it’s got my mind racing with ideas… ![]()
As @vero says, there’s quite a lot to spend and thus the price needs negotiating but… what a project!
Something amiss here, Stella: the property details that come up when I clicked on it clearly state “Construite dans la plus pure tradition locale” - no comment about renovation - and you only have to look at the photos to seed that it’s a new-build. Loads of these around Le Bugue.
AH ! - I’ve read right to the end. I do not think this means ‘renovation’ in the way Brits think of it ! As I observed - this has been home to someone old, probably now in a ‘retraite’ or worse. It needs updating.
