Learning French online

:thinking::rofl::joy: maybe … maybe not.

My 10 year old grandson loves using the word… trottoir … and he does a little trot to emphasize… (he is learning French only very slowly, but it is something… )

and he insists on saying mousey instead of merci… that will stick with him for life I reckon…:hugs:

1 Like

Anything is possible Janice but if they want to talk to me about it I will expect them to use the words sweets and pavements.

3 Likes

More likely to be sayimg lùmiàn or pavimento…

Yes and so would I Mandy … It’s not futile Janice, the English language has been ‘bastardised’, if the Americans want to use their version that’s ok, in their country. I will stick with the version that I know and that I hope will continue.
In France I try as much as possible to use the correct language of all the great writers and philosophers. Amongst French friends we do use argot, but when writing I ask that they correct my mistakes and they do.
It would be such a pity to be too lazy to care !

3 Likes

I’m really please I mentioned it Peter as several people seem to have now tried it. I have found it invaluable and love how it reminds you to watch your accents etc. It will accept English words as well as American versions so if you want to say trousers not pants or underground/metro instead of subway it will usually accept them which is good. I’m glad you are enjoying it.

2 Likes

We used to use stuff called Pollywog Paste at school.

I’ve just had a look at it, and can’t seem to understand how it works…I’m missing something somewhere so grateful if you can explain. When I went onto the site there was a test to assess my level. Which I did and got right. So then I was presented with a page of icons but when I click on them they are all very basic - the cat sat on the mat type of thing? How do you find out your level and get to the right place? Do you know?

I think it asks you at first encounter what your level is, and then tests your self-assessment to check out your level of attainment.

You can message them, I think, if you want help on the technicalities, but I have found they’re slow to respond. It all seems to be managed by Artificial Intelligence, clever but runs on immovable rails.

You can fast track to Level one. I think that you then work through the modules. It won’t work for everybody but suits me fine for a bit of once a day revision.

All the icons have a 1 on them, so does that mean level 1 I wonder? A bit dull to work through them all, but never any harm in repeating the basics I guess so I’ll keep it for a while longer to see if it gets more varied.

A little crown with a 1 on it means Level one but that’s not the starting point. At first I thought that it didn’t actually teach you anything but as you progress it makes you think. I like because it’s the background revision that I need, it’s not a mainstream teaching programme. Having said that, if I wanted a challenging, progressive course I certainly wouldn’t be looking online anyway.

1 Like

You can skip levels by clicking on the key :slight_smile:

It does make you think the more you progress.

There are also stories to read with questions to answer.

There are also timed practices !

1 Like

I use an iPad and as far as I can tell you don’t get the stories? Yet you do on the laptop version.

Mon dieu! You mean you haven’t listened to story number one and all the ‘traumas’ ?

Well seriously I have to sat that once I tapped on the story I realised what the outcome would be, I think that it might become addictive, like Crossroads did all those years ago.

Hang on, maybe you are too young to remember that ’ bonnet de douche, mais oui, mais oui’ :joy:

Open it in Safari on the iPad not the App. You get the full version and it’s much better.

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks. I wonder why they haven’t added it to the app?

1 Like

I’ve only discovered it recently. The information pages are excellent, easy to understand and to the point.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I’m looking for too, as although I speak french most of the time I know there are some holes in my grammar that need patching up. And watching films, and going to the theatre isn’t always the best way to absorb perfect grammar.

Mrs May has taken to saying ‘not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good" and, although it’s at risk of becoming clichéd, it does make sense. Perfect grammar has its place in human discourse, but only a niche.’ Only connect’ should be the watchword, I think.

BTW I got a publicity card in the post from Point Vert the garden-centre giant today, saying “Merci pour vôtre fidélité” when I always thought remerciement took a “de” in proper french, not a “pour”.

Top of the slippery slope of grammatical french? :scream:

I found this useful… explaining when to use “de” and when to use “pour”

Voici une règle communément admise: lorsque «merci» précède un verbe à l’infinitif, il est toujours suivi de la préposition «de». On dira ainsi «merci de m’écouter». Il est également d’usage de considérer que «merci pour» est employé pour introduire une action ou un fait à venir, qu’on espère ou qu’on enjoint. En disant «merci pour votre attention», on invite par avance l’assemblée à être attentive.

En revanche, «merci de» est employé lorsqu’il s’agit d’un fait qui s’est effectivement produit. À la fin d’un discours, lorsque l’intervenant dit «merci de votre attention», il félicite a posteriori les auditeurs pour leur écoute. Girodet, lexicographe français, estime pour sa part que l’expression «merci de» appartient à un registre plus soutenu.

thus Point Vert are thanking you for your future/continued custom/fidelity… “merci pour votre fidelitée”