Leaving france with carte de titre

I have British and Israeli passports. In May 2019, I received my Titre de Sejour, valid for 5 years until May 2024. My intention was to live in France, but with Covid etc. I left in June 2019 and did not return until June 2022. I spent 3 months back here in 2022. I am now back and would like to be here for most of the next 6 months. Is my Titre de Sejour still valid? Or will be subjected to the 90 day Shengen agreement?

Hi @Michal and welcome to the forum… thinking about it… did you apply as a Brit or Israeli… and were you covered by the Withdrawal Agreement (for Brits)

this question has been thrashed about
Here is a link which might help you… there’s others on the forum and I’m sure someone will drop in with exactly what you need to know…

The titre de sejour you have was issued because you told the French authorities you were resident in France. If you are not resident in France then technically you are not entitled to it.

1 Like

Thank you.

In theory the card is still valid, however you may not be able to renew it at its expiry due to your prolonged absence from France. It is also possible that you may be able to renew it if you can show permanent residence in France, but likely will be given another temporary 5-year card, instead of a permanent resident card.

Is your primary residence in France?
Have you completed the mandatory tax office request for your ‘Biens Immoblier’?

Hand in hand with a valid titre de séjour to be a legal resident there is the responsibility of submitting an annual tax return (even if no tax to pay) and having health insurance or contributing to the French Health system.

So having left for over 6 months, and if you don’t fulfil these other conditions then no, this carte de séjour is technically no longer valid. So you would be in an irregular situation.

Getting a visitor visa would be the best way to go, as long as you don’ plan to work here.

1 Like

@michal

You didn’t say what type of ‘title’ / permit you have / had…? Which is the usual first question.

@janejones follows up with the normal Q2 and 3 - France health cover and tax return. Would there not have been at least the need for health cover for your ‘current’ permit?

I can’t quite figure this out because my understanding is UK passport holders didn’t get (or need?) cards until the WA thing was set up - was it October 2020? Or is it that they could ask and get one - it must be that - and they then had to be swapped for a WA card, or not if the cardholder didn’t want a ‘WA’ card.

@janejones Does one need health cover for the visitor visa… is that the one which is extends / removes the ‘schengen’ limit for France?

And another thought, I presume there is no EU-wide visa to extend / remove the 3 month out of 6 restriction?

1 Like

We had standard EU cards for quite a few years. And then simply swapped them for a WARP card when these because available.

And 6 month visitor visas are ok with just a GHIC.