Législatives…

Don’t they? How revolting. Isn’t it compulsory?

I must admit I’ve never known anyone not to so I didn’t understand the comment, but maybe some don’t :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I can only talk about the public pools I’ve been to, and it is not compulsory. Most have a trough you walk through for your feet, which is good, but there is no obligation to use the showers made abailable. And many don’t.

Which is strange. Especially as my impression is that the British are generally inclined to wash their hands after going to the toilet. One positive of Covid is that this seems to be a stronger habit now - it used to be extremely hit or miss with the women that I have crossed paths with in public toilets here.

It’s a long, long time since I went to a UK swimming pool - but certainly showering before entering was rare there many years ago.

I must say though, now that I run our pool here - often shared by 2 or 3 families - we don’t insist people shower before using it. Is it important @corona? Surely the reason we take so much trouble adding, or getting the water to make its own chlorine, testing and maintaining lots of other water characteristics, and pumping it through many filters for hours every day, is to turn it into a huge pool of biocide?

There’s a difference between what is important for absolute hygiene, and what is a courteous and respectful thing to do. Although I believe cryptosporidium can survive days in a treated pool, so water treatment isn’t 100%. But I don’t expect people to share a bath with me, so why should they share a pool with my dead skin and sweat? And for gîte pools I also wouldn’t want to be swimming in an oil slick of sun cream (and I would :t have thought the owner would want that on his liner)

Now this is excellent… Very long and very erudite (be warned if you don’t like ‘intellectuals’) - but I think exceptionally insightful on both French politics and cultural life in general…

I very much agree with David Foenkinos.

Really? That’s very (explicitly) pessimistic…

Yes, I fear violence and chaos… In that sense the legislative elections will be decisive… But whatever happens I’m very worried about the future of our democracy. Precariousness and disillusion are getting the upper hand.

I felt closest to Sudhir Hazareesingh. (And he does teach French politics!)

We only had 1 poster on the boards for the Presidential… but for the Législatives 6 out of the 12 boards have got something on them… although a couple of posters have been defaced/torn.

It will be interesting to learn the turnout figures of the first round…

Well they will have one vote extra with mine! Have every intention of voting .

1 Like

I’d love to be able to vote… perhaps I will manage it in the coming years… intend to have a good try.