Let us look at the EU question a little closer and think about it and form our own conclusions instead of those politicians are thrusting on us

Alexander - as well as horse meat in our all beef hamburgers?

To some degree the questionable credibility applies to all political groups the same. Like Tom Waits is singing: "I don't lie but I don't want to tell the truth"... For me its fun to read these moderate and balanced comments here as they come from those of us who are practicing the European idea and live in another contry. Although books are ultimately more productive sources before mass media, I recommend the European Media Monitor, because it covers a wide range, almost in a global overview, to compare opinions on a particular subject when clicking "more stories" about a topic. Suddenly you can read voices from all over the planet. Of course these are still journalistic filters, but after all is it not just in the nature of policy strategies not to be burned prematurely. That is probably like with the many cooks ...

Merkels situation: a large part of her success is based on the changes initiated by the government arround Gerhard Schröder between 2001 to 2005. Those were hard but necessary interventions in a social system that originated in times of almost forgotten periods of growth that had been outdated by globalisation. The former communist ideologues of the East enjoy themselves only in bogus discussions with their reactionary counterparts of the West, but in reality both pull at the same string of nationalistic thoughts. Merkels other legacy is e.g. the "aid" for Greece which is rather for Germany's own benefit in order to avert damage. Companies such as, Thyssen-Marine (sub-marines) had been warned nicely before the collapse and had moved on time to this Fata Morgana in the dessert, Abu Dabi, (its a bit like the BAE-Saudi thing), but that would really go too much into detail... However this with the "paymaster of Europe" is a more romantic interpretation.

If I remember the success of certain candidates in France's presidential elections, France still lags far behind necessary changes. Texas Instruments, Accenture to Virgin, the list of companies that are closing their offices or reduce them to a minimum status will inevitably become longer and longer. A few days ago, there was here the long overdue agreement that salaries may be frozen in times of economic constraints. A more transparent approach in the fiscal imbalance within Europe is possible and has long been guaranteed by the SWIFT agreement, this economic Facebook. It would help political credibility to make the actual usage of these collected data accessible so that everyone can see how "other" make use of foreign corporate transactions. This of course is a scheer horror the boys in City but in contrast to SWIFT WikiLeaks looks like a kindergarten. Surly transparency will not happen when not even the legendary LaGarde list is being used, - but journalists are imprisoned when they publish the list.

Great read, Brian ;-)

Why I wrote this, and particularly had to write from the UK point of view although the German one is also interesting, it that I am an avid news reader. I read selectively from about a dozen newspapers in four languages. I have always done that and probably always shall. I read The Daily Telegraph and Le Figaro and also The Guardian and Le Monde, plus political 'colours' beyond and between and then similar with German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch papers. I also shuffle my selection around so that I do not read the same every day and fall into the obvious traps that might bring. So, what does all of that inform me?

Firstly, I am pretty well spoon fed the opinions, positions and conflicts coming out of incumbent governments and their friends, opposition parties and foreign opinion fed toward those countries that is about them. Very little is really said in substance about other countries, other than what their PM, president or whoever has the public face has to say. There is a negligible amount of information about what and who informs those people. Indeed, it would appear that the last thing anybody tells us through political statements, press interviews or via the interpretation of journalists what is actually behind the politicking. Very little appears to come out of the finance sector directly, not meaning finance ministers but the banks and other financial institutions. The same is in regard to manufacturing and trade. Of course, we do get snippets when a major trading company goes kaput like Argos, Jessop, HMV and Marks and Spencer not doing very well at present and likewise when a large manufacturing company shuts down. Delve a little further and one finds information about one in five small shops being on the knife edge of survival and how many small manufacturing companies either last less than two years after being set up through to ones that have been around for centuries folding.

I find it telling that Ben Bernanke, Chairman of the United States Federal Reserve, with his support for the IMF helping the Eurozone's ailing economies thus supports the Euro and is keeping very quiet about the City of London. It used to be the other way round, from him at that having been in that position since 1996 which, financially, is a very long time. Think what has happened in that time after all.

So I simply get the feeling that UK politicians, in office or opposition, in waiting or hoping to become more influential, are all very disingenuous. They all tell us party and, I sometimes feel, personal positions but not the whole truth behind, whether that be how the UK would survive out, on the margins or staying in. It is all politicking from different positions but it does not tell us facts. One could contrive a phrase in the fashion of typical Mark Twain wisdoms such as 'facts are dangerous' and that would sum up what politicians are doing to us with their words and no substance behind them.

Germany, yes that is interesting. Merkel is the scapegoat for all that is wrong at all times and again who bothers to explain why? At the same time does anybody bother to see why she is leading a successful nation that is at the heart of the EU and trying to hold it together. Again, no facts but lots of journalism. We are told that the Germans want to be the centre of a United States of Europe but then see from other German politicians there that is the last thing any of them wants. They want a stable EU, particularly the Eurozone, with closer banking and fiscal ties, call it union if that is appropriate and the outcome is a single currency and banking economic area, but not political union. Nobody has ever mentioned that. There are indicators to say that Merkel will be returned in the autumn but no certainty but with a relatively weak SPD who would almost certainly need to go into coalition with the Greens and FDP that might be either a single term outcome or lead to a great deal of uncertainty. Ultimately not much will change except faces and the content of speeches. Politicians do not run their countries, we all know it is bankers from the central banks via the big international and national banks to small financial institutions. Germany is the same as the UK in that respect.

Yes Theo, I share some misgivings about the outcome of reunification. I was a fellow of the FU Berlin until less than a year before it all really happened, but I shared seeing the process happen whenever I was there and so had good insights when 1989 events occurred. It is a very much incomplete process that was left unfinished so that Germany could concentrate on consolidating its position at the heart of Europe. If both had happened synonymously I suspect the outcome would have been different and a far more right wing government sit in the Bundestag today. Poland is now up and coming and the east German buffer zone between Berlin and Poland that is very narrow has very useful symbolic purposes that are little discussed or analysed. However, if Poland and Germany become politically closer given that Merkel needs friends at present, then that is going to be a very powerful regional block with immense manufacturing and raw materials resources. The UK and France would be economically overwhelmed by the economic impact. Who really says much about that apart from a few German political journalists? Again, back to what we do and don't know.

So, it is being informed and not preached to throughout the EU I am concerned about. Politicians with biasses that are trumpeted through news media of various political persuasions are not helping. The fact that some of these people put hand on heart that what they are telling us is the truth yet opposition reactions do the same thing with a contrary set of facts does not instil confidence.

Will somebody please tell us the facts, the truth and let each and every one of us form their own opinions on the basis of knowledge and not on the ambitions of politicians, that is all I ask.

Great piece Brian. As I said with the euro last year, I never thought for a moment it would fail and it hasn't, though many predicted it would. I also believe this is nothing more than Tory sabre rattling to appease the far right and push UKIP out of mainstream and pretend to be tough in Europe. The UK simply can't leave the EU, as many experts in the media have pointed out, it took decades to create and set-up, and there has never been any methods or procedures invented for withdrawal. They would have to create them, and unpick the various treaties, one by one. It would again take decades.

Can you imagine the political and financial uncertainty that would unleash on the UK economy, it would be nothing short of catastrophic. The financial sector would move within a year, and the UK would be in the sort of recession that would make what we have seen recently like a kinder garden party.

I think sensible business leaders in conjunction with the wise old politicians in all parties will put this one to bed, and Cameron will return from negotiations in Brussels declaring a massive victory, that in fact will not add up to a can of beans. Unfortunately it damages our reputation in Europe but achieves next to nothing.

Very interesting to read a objective view, editorial unfiltered. So this I have to get of my chest ;-)
Merkels ambivalent attitude in this matter towards Cameron is strange. According to the recent polls her party is far ahead of all others and she does not have any thing to worry about for here re-election. So,I imagine that Clark and Schäuble have much in conman, share certain values and that these two would be better to prepare for a time-line for a solution which is beneficial for all Europeans. Cameron need to grow to use favor of the situation now instead prevailing a status quo. Actually Washington did him a favor.

I have been living abroad for decades, not only in France and see the development in Germany rather skeptical since its reunification, but this was the time when I left Germany. The idea of a Germany that could dominate France does not make me worry today, it always did since! Thats why I think it is so important that England is finally getting its act together and engaging much more! Its not only a European Country, its is also a pillar, so whats all about these "princesses capers". E.g. UK's current support for the French in Mali is far more constructive then the lukewarm promises for support by Mr. Westerwelle (yes, the guy who said to the BBC Corri "you are here in Germany, so you have to speak German" on the election day).

Exactly for the financial aspects you are mentioning it is of mutual importance that the UK is more actively involved rather laying back. However, the illusions with the belief in the self-healing powers of the markets have to make place for a fair view on social realities so certain issues work, because the "kids" in the City can not even sell quite a lot of their hoaxes a to German cleaning maid. Not to forget, Italy has election now, their finacial chaos is by far not out of the woods and therefore Italy has the potential to give the euro the killerdrug like the "latinic franc", the predecessor of the euro, 100 years ago. So someone interested string the pot has good chances left. For me this financial crisis ist simply not over.

Most important is England begins before these "balkanisations" movements in Scottland, Catalonia and elsewhere dominating the news. Once Italy slides up it will be too late for England to think about if to stay in or out.