Limousin - warm welcome?

Can you please explain how it takes you four hours to Lyon?
We live in Southern Burgundy and it takes us about an hour and a half to get into Lyon by car.

Via N145 A89 331 km, OK I admit it, I got the time wrong…it’s actually posted at 3hours 57mins. That’s from home to the hotel (Hotel Le Royal Lyon-MGallery) in the centre.

2 Likes

We go by coach and it takes us a whole day… (mind you we do enjoy breakfast and lunch on the way…) :hugs: :joy:

1 Like

That’s interesting, Stella - I’ve never gone anywhere by coach in France and wasn’t really aware that they existed as a possibility :roll_eyes: Shows we’ve spent too much time in the garden and not enough exploring :smiley:

There is quite a decent coach network in France,some of the times are a bit odd though

1 Like

Thanks @Eddie . In our neck of the woods the train times are definitely odd, so we’re used to that :smiley: How do I get to look at the coach network? (Sorry - I know this is off topic and I’ll go away soon but I was intrigued!)

1 Like

Eurolines,BlaBla/Ouibus,Flixbus all run services in normal times or you can google coaches in France and get an agent type system who will search a journey for you

2 Likes

That’s very helpful, @Eddie - thank you :hugs: Now all we need is the freedom/safety to roam and we’ll be away :rofl:

2 Likes

Must confess this was a private hire… we do it every year, with friends… (except last year, of course…)

But there are all sorts of coach trips around France…( in normal times… )

1 Like

We have been looking at a few properties for sale near Bourganeuf. Looking at the town itself, there are a lot of places for sale. Is this another dying Limousin town? Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of Bourganeuf?

I live about 40 minutes away, rarely go there these days (lots of Turkish immigrants from what I remember, not that that’s a problem). Aubusson is more vibrant, but has its own issues too. Problem is that there are just not enough people (except in the summer) around to keep these places economically viable.

1 Like

Aubusson is in a nice area with loads for sale, for a reason. Look the other side of Limoges around St Junien, Rochechouart or a bit further south near St Yriex la Perche, these areas are more vibrant and not so harsh in winter.

2 Likes

What are the issues in Aubusson?

Lack of population, shops closing, empty houses. Its a great little town though.

3 Likes

Thanks Mark. For a minute there I thought it might be something more sinister!

we are hopefully completing soon on our purchase in peyrat,seems to be quite busy in summer pre covid,hoping it stays as it is with a spar,local shop hotel and bar etc,we were aiming for proximity to limoges airport and national park,for some reason I wanted to be within a short distance to a good supermarket which borganeuf has

2.25h from where we live to Lyon Perrache/Bellecour, I used to drive it every week when subcontracting for a firm in Lyon.

1 Like

Most of the Creuse and the Corrèze are losing population, from what I understand. Not really surprising given the poor infrastructure outside of the larger centres (Limoges, Brive-la-Gaillarde, etc).

The "infrastructure " is ok, roads are good, public transport exists, hospitals, doctors etc and we’ve even mainly got fairly good Internet (not everywhere). The cause (not necessarily the problem) is the lack of industry. Most employment is agriculture, leisure or retail, none of which is particularly well paid so a lot of younger people leave in search of more. Upside is there is very little aggro, crime, litter, graffiti or antisocial behaviour.

3 Likes

How is the train network? Here in the Puy-de-Dôme, if you don’t live on the N/S mainline through Clermont, it is pretty grim, and the replacement coach service is inconvenient at best, and insufficient at worst. Even getting to Lyon is quicker on the Flixbus!