Linky - electricity bill now seven times higher

It will be interesting if Jane is right and you’ve got a family or a business in someone’s garage next door stealing electricity. The idea does match with them seeing the EDF/Enedis technician arrive and hastily unplugging.

I wonder how feasible will it be to take the thieves to court for all past bills and costs of broken windows etc (you have camera footage of that, don’t you ?) here in France.

This is what my electricity bill used to look to like for an empty property prior to installation of Linky.
It pretty much matches the consumption of the devices installed:
Internet router: 15 watts running 24/7: approx 10.8 kWh per month
5 x security cameras 25 watts running 24/7: approx 18kWh per month
50-watt lightbulb 6 hours a day.approx 9kWh per month
Total usage: 37.8 kWh per month
Between October 2020 and February 2020, the bill is slightly higher during the colder months as the boiler is switched on remotely at a minimal level occasionally to keep the pipes warm. Outside this period, it is pretty much switched off.

Linky, you need to get over to your house and get an electrician to do a survey and a report. This is the only way. Make an appointment with Jonathan to meet up and go through the whole caboodle once and for all. Remote diagnosis doesnt work.

1 Like

No, that’s three phase; complicates the heck out of measuring your own consumption though.

Jonathan’s (@Badger) theory is interesting but it will need someone to trace all the wiring to find out. EDIT - Ah I see my reply crossed with others.

1 Like

I’ve heard this but don’t understand how the Linky can trip them - controlled earth leakage?

By the way @linky - whereabouts in France is your property?

I seem to recall that tampering with any EDF meters, Linky included, requires removing one or two crimped lead seals, and even if they were put back in a bodged way, a visual inspection would show that they had been tampered with when the technician came around.

But doesn’t stop someone plugging s cable into a handy external socket…, or having a connection from the past ownership into an adjacent barn….

But sounding more as if an electrical problem with the phases rather than outright theft. As odd to suddenly start stealing when linky arrived!

1 Like

Near fontainebleau

I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m paying for one of the neighbour’s electricity. EDF stated in the last email that the consumption changes throughout the day correlating to living activity. We’ll see when the app updates to 30 minute intervals.

Sadly I suspect that you are outside of Jonathan’s patch.

The Linky does not trip the DdB, it has an internal relay that opens when your “puissance souscrite” is exceeded. Once the load is reduced you can reset it by holding the “+” button in for a couple of seconds or, if the DbB is remote, by switching off the main supply isolator in the house for a few seconds.

Indeed, by nearly 400kms…

This is the email I received from Enedis in November 2020 before installation last year.
According to the following, someone should be present when they come to install the Linky meter, but I wasn’t there due to the COVID situation. With no one present, would they be able to properly install the Linky meter? Maybe this is part of the problem?

“Votre présence est indispensable à la bonne réalisation de l’intervention, mais il vous est possible de demander à la personne de votre choix de nous donner accès à votre compteur en votre absence, en cas de non prise de RDV sous 15 jours, votre compteur n’est pas remplacé.”

Oh, OK so it effectively takes over the overcurrent protection. To that extent I wonder why they did not build in the earth leakage and replace the disjoncteur entirely - especially if they need  to replace the DdB for some installations.

Not sure whether I’m totally comfortable with a “software” overcurrrent protection (admittedly more protecting the EDF wiring than mine) compared with electromechanical protection which almost certainly has fewer failure modes.

On reflection maybe that’s why they leave the old disjoncteur there as well.

As long as the meter & DdB (Disjoncteur de Branchement) are both located in the same place (i.e. the external box that you have pictured) then there is no reason for a Linky fitter to need access to the rest of the installation.
Older installations may be split, with the meter outside & the DdB indoors.

The old DdB will still protect both ENEDIS’s side of things & the main installation supply wiring against overload. The private conductors departing from the DbB must, by regulation, be large enough to take the maximum current that can be supplied via the DdB (as opposed to the “puissance souscrite”). This means using a minimum of 16mm² for a 12kVA monophasé supply, but larger for runs above 27m.
The DdB still acts as a 500mA différentiel.

The first set of data for daily consumption has just come in. For some reason, the consumption has suddenly dropped to 3.5euros for the day rather than 5 euros every day. As I have mentioned before, the property is empty and I haven’t switched anything on or off remotely.
I have no idea why there are gaps between midnight and the morning. 0.5kWh for every half hour is way too much considering that the total wattage of appliances plugged in totals less than 100watts.

Do you have a timer on a water heater that’s gone bananas?

or a timer on space heating?

If not, your neighbour does :slight_smile:

Sonething that uses 1000 watts per hour, evenly, is plugged in to your supply (or waking itself up on a timer) from 7am solidly to half an hour after midnight.

Every hour in the middle of the night, it switches itself on, for half an hout.

Sounds people-oriented to me.

It will be very interesting to see what it does on weekends. Especially Sundays.