Living in a country without speaking the language

This is not funny at all. As @KarenLot points out, may well be foul play. Bodies found in separate locations is odd. Could also be murder/suicide. Perhaps their MT can shine a light on if one was very ill?

I thought/hoped from your original report that it was a mutual suicide. Back when I was in UK we had an elderly couple at our church who chose to end themselves together. (BTW our vicar and congregation were very sad and there was absolutely no religious judgement.)

Thank you Stella, our news reporter!

1 Like

I’m curious why the deaths of two people you don’t know, and have never heard of before are of interest? Two people die every second across the world, and France’s daily death rate is about 1,500 people. So there are always weird, strange, sad and unexplained deaths. And I would sink into depression if I paid attention to all the tragic stories.

1 Like

this Report/story came out, as we were discussing Brits isolating themselves in France… and highlighted that it’s not necessarily due to lack of language…
The article explained how guilty the Maire felt … how wrong it seemed to her that folk could (perhaps) need help… could die/lie dead for so long… and no-one knew or cared…
(I think that’s the short version)

2 Likes

One of my very elderly uncles died alone, at home, on his farm and was not found for weeks. In fact it was absolutely how he wanted to go. He would not have wanted to go to hospital (“that’s where people go to die”!) And he was of an age (in his 80s) where so far as he was concerned it was time anyway.

3 Likes

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses!

если тебе нечего сказать хорошего, не говори ничего!

1 Like

and you point was? :roll_eyes:
So, no statistics then… just more hot air.

Taceo, tacere, tacui, tacitum, maneo manere, mansi, mansum: learnt principal parts off by heart 50 years ago and it’s nice to see I can still remember them :slightly_smiling_face: ah the joys of chanting fero ferre tuli latum to the tune of the German national anthem :joy:
(Not to mention the sniggerworthiness of eg surgere, ok we were 8)

Edited to add hello Kermit, and what do you do? I asked earlier but you must have missed the question.

1 Like

Knowing Fren ch is important yes but understanding the way the administration works is another story.
Han d holders do not always get it all right and French people with admin jobs often get things wrong,
Who really knows?

Being able to communicate well usually gets you through most situations even if they are tricky - French administration is geared to dealing with French people so good communication will help avoid the pitfalls due to ignorance and assumptions about foreign ways of doing things. Some great-and-good old English ladies went to visit my children’s primary school and started asking questions about governors - well we don’t have any such thing, they found it difficult to grasp that the head isn’t the boss of the other teachers, and so on. And their French wasn’t good at all so confusion ensued.

Edited to be more precise: due to ignorance and assumptions about foreign ways of doing things on both sides

3 Likes

“No doctor, aid worker or reporter can do their job if they are crushed by the spectacle of death and suffering. The trick is to preserve compassion without bearing each individual tragedy as your own.”

Richard Lloyd Parry
Times Asia Editor

Why have you posted that in triplicate? Your assumptions about posters on here are very rude.

4 Likes

Indeed

Dear @kermit - your post above makes it very clear that you don’t think much of SF or its regular contributors, that is your prerogative of course but I wonder why you are here in that case.

I can help you permanently unsubscribe, if you wish, since you appear to be frustrated that you are not able to do so…

If you don’t wish to be removed from the site, please drop the personal attacks and snide comments.

6 Likes

Hello again Kermit, so what do you do?Are you an ‘expat’? I think many people present on SF would consider themselves immigrants rather than expats but I may well be wrong. I certainly think of you as immigrants like any others.

3 Likes

Hello Vero

Glad you survived Latin at School. I had to learn atomic physics but was turned down for a job at the RAA because I did not know Greek and Latin! To answer your earlier question, I got a degree in Behavioural Sciences, became a Chartered Accountant and worked for several overseas governments with regard to fraud and prevention thereof.

Have a god evening

I agree. My niece is an emergency/ intensive care doctor and she has a remarkable ability to be objectively compassionate, and very focused. Her months in a Covid ward would have had me floored.

I can be hugely emotionally affected by, for example, stories emerging from Ukraine. But it actually seems slightly voyeuristic to want to know details about the private deaths of two anonymous people. A bit like the hysteria over the death of Princess Diana. Very sad, but nothing to do with me.

3 Likes

Maybe. Or, empathetic?

Those of us without children may fear this sort of ending. To know all and be forearmed?
:pleading_face:

1 Like