Loft renovation advice please

We’ve (almost) converted 2/3 of our attic space into a double bedroom and a separate WC & sink.
The bedroom has a steam punk theme - old shutters from a reclamation yard were used for under the eaves storage:

We still have to convert the remaining 1/2 to a bathroom - headspace is very tight.
Below are a couple of pictures I’ve kept for inspiration:

attic bathroom 07

1 Like

That looks fantastic. Well done. I love the reuse of the doors.

Oh, I’m copying that! Just lovely Nigel. We have a massive space in the loft that we don’t have the finance to sort out. but at least we might be able to give the eaves some character rather than the dreadful etagere comble I made the mistake of buying at one point which subsequently sagged badly.

We stayed in a very old place in Northern France. Our “appartment” was in the tower across the landing from the attic under the eaves.

I managed to catch a glimpse of the attic and it looked lovely. Presumably insulated in some way, then with cloth draped down on all sides, from the centre line (possibly covering a multitude of naff whatever as well as disguising any insulation materials). The Owners slept there.
It was very “Arabian Nights” … almost wished we were in there rather than our glorious tower… almost, but not quite. :wink:

Looking at your photo, you have a tall wardrobe under the cross beam, that would be roughly 6ft+?

Its a large room so going to be expensive. Some modifications to make it a cruck or collar braced roof but only if necessary.

As Nigel has done, fitting reflective multifoil correctly! To seal the air space but with the required air gaps and vapour barrier will keep out a tremendous amount of summer heat. It has completely changed our house from far too hot to remaing comfortable. But our roof is also backed up with bulk rockwool at 200mm min, but enough to show some timber to 400mm in the apex where there is more room. This combination is also great in winter keeping the heat in as confirmed with the thermal imaging camera. You could also modify old large chimneys whilst you are there to more thermally efficient modern ones lined with SS flueliner and vermiculite granules to further insulate the flue.

There were quite a few logistical issues that had to be carefully thought out.

Water & Waste
Piping and tubes had to run down from the attic, then down through an ensuite located in the next floor, next down into the dining room, and finally into and across the cellar. All of this has had to be insulated and boxed in (with shut-off valves and suitable access panels fitted).

Central Heating
We extended the(gas) central heating up from two of the bedrooms (one at the front, the other at the rear) to provide heating. Again new pipework has to be boxed in.

Electrics
We had a ‘feed’ run from the main consumer panel on the ground floor, up the outside of the house and then into the attic. This goes straight to a mini consumer panel with 8 ‘disjoncteurs’. This way all of the attic electrics can be easily isolated and controlled.

Network / Internet
At the same time that the water/waste work was done, we had a cat6 ethernet cable run from a patch panel in my study, next down into the cellar, then up to the attic next to the water/waste pipes. In the attic this runs into a network switch so that I can have an access point and media server there.

Insulation / Isolation
We fitted doors at the top and bottom of the attic staircase to be able to better control the heat from the main house below. In the under eaves storage areas, there are verticals OSB ‘walls’ about 70cm high lined with glass wool panels to prevent draughts.

Other
Also fitted a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors.

2 Likes

I have done two attic conversions on this property. The first for us, as a bed room, dressing and bathroom. I would say from your 'pic that our attic was slightly smaller than yours, it’s floor figured at about 8 x 15mts before conversion. 200mm EPS on the walls and 2x240mm fibreglass above the ceiling, means a constant medium, no sweating or freezing, and we use no heating other that what climbs the stairs from the wood burner on the floor below. If you are considering Velux type windows, think about the height and if you will be able to open and close them. Ours are powered and triple glazed with climate control operation.

The second attic, I am on the vinegar strokes as far as finishing. I have built a separate 1 mt wide
staircase for access and produced two apartments for permanent rental of 84 and 88²mts. Launch some timbers across the top of your existing beams and then suspend a ceiling which will leave much of the original woodwork visible.

2 Likes

I would add, if the budget allows, use Rockwool rather than glassfibre. Its water repellant so it doesn’t sag to half the original thickness or less as time and water vapour take their toll. Also stops the spread of fire should that occur.

This particular bit may prove difficult therefore expensive. It is possible but €€€€

1 Like

Thanks for all of your replies and the images. All very helpful.
We were over in February and a builder came to see the property and we are waiting for a devis for various job and the loft works.
So we have decided that raising the beams is going to be prohibitively expensive. So 6ft 3 husband has agreed to stoop when required!

1 Like

Thanks. Agree. We have decided against it now.