Log burner Chimney liner

Never suggested a liner for an open fire Dave. :wink:

1 Like

But you haven’t answered my question.

1 Like

Mark I did say an open fire is an entirely different case, check :slightly_smiling_face:
I did Dave, I can’t be bothered arguing over the obvious, if you can’t see keep your fingers crossed :slightly_smiling_face: :crossed_fingers:

It is the increased incidence of chimney-fires/house-fires, across France, that have led to new rules and regulations brought in recent years.

2 Likes

Obvious? You’ve lost me. If it was obvious I wouldn’t be asking. 400 year old stone chimney, a house always heated using wood. Why has the chimney suddenly become a fire risk?

Bye Bye, Davey :wave: None so blind’ etc etc :rofl:

To many DIYers who don’t know, as much as they ‘think’ they know Stella :slightly_smiling_face:
Btw, combustion gasses leaking thro’ unlined stone work is also a grave danger to occupants :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks everyone …that spread like the proverbial wildfire. Much appreciated

I have never had a lined chimney on the 2 in my old house and most people I know don’t have one either, apart from the new installion I mentioned and of course inserts !
Not advocating lined chimeys here …
https://conseil.manomano.fr/comment-choisir-ses-tuyaux-de-poele-et-ou-conduits-de-cheminee-459

Spot on Bill. Nice of you to admit it.

Misty… you’ve lost me…

From your link…there is lots of info… and it talks about all aspects of wood burners and the pipework that is necessary to take the smoke/fumes whatever… up and up… to the skies…

Perhaps we are at cross purposes… “having a chimney lined” …

I am talking about pipework within the old chimney, which links carefully to the wood-burner and reaches up to the chimney pot… :thinking::relaxed:

:rofl: Unlike yourself, I do prefer ‘to admit my ignorance before I prove it’, when I know little or nothing of the subject Dave. Try it :wink:
I stand by what I have said re this subject However :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been asking around… as I understand it… legislation changes…

Sometimes improvements and/or changes are merely advisory… sometimes they are mandatory… but it is often not enforced immediately… folk can carry on with the status quo. :relaxed:

However, at … Point of Sale or Change of Tenancy… certain aspects should be addressed with regard to Normes, Safety, etc etc.

I think it interesting that the Notaire raised the matter… :thinking:

2 Likes

Considering when we bought ours, the wooden timbers were part of the chimney stone work, and the professionally fitted liner had been squeezed between them and the stone it was a wonder the place was still standing.
The new chimney we built and lined with stainless liner was also insulated with vermiculite to perfection.

I’d expect nothing else Bill. In that way you are consistent.

1 Like

Well done John, sounds a ‘proper’ Job :slightly_smiling_face:

We did a modification to our chimney which someone may be interested in.
We purchased a 11 kw freestanding wood burner and a stainless liner to poke out of the top of the chimney on the roof. During fitting the liner I cut into the stone work just above the ceiling line and put !/4 inch galvanized plate around the liner, set it into the stones etc and sealed where necessary.
I cut a hole 10" x 3" in the bedroom near the floor, and put a dummy electric fire over the hole.
Then cut a 6" hole below the ceiling to fit ducting to feed hot air into our bathroom and the other bedroom.
The convection current does not need air fans or anything to help, there is enough flow to use up all the surplus heat, and the chimney breast in the bedroom is very hot all night long after the fire went out.

Did something similar by utilising the heat trapped between the two register plates, I added a higher 2nd register plate. We have two holes to heat two upstairs rooms which works better than expected. Checked to ensure enough heat was left to exhaust the flue gases.