Logs - now is the time to order

Eek never thought of that! Although I think there are already munchers…

Oh that is just stunning! Go for it Geof!!!

Tory :star_struck:

I’ve just spent 5 hours stacking mine.

Or hornbeam or acacia.

You are super fast! Takes us two days…

I think that must only apply to your village. I’ve lived in Moselle for 30 years and I’ve never heard of that.

Similar applies to all the villages round here. Each year a notice goes up of the date when you have to put your name down to get a parcelle. Depending on how many people on list, and what’s available for felling that year, you can get a larger chunk, or smaller. And then off you go…

Logs theme keeps on giving!

No scheme here. A few trees including 3 in my garden surviving urban development. Although I’m feeling motivated to réorganise the log pile. Especially with this hot weather I can’t see a match being struck for a while.

This often happens in communes which have a lot of trees on land owned by the commune itself.

Selling the wood in this way, is a way managing the woodlands and raising funds for communal use.

Having this income can help keep local taxes from leaping up every time some expensive “whatever” is needed…

Certainly all the Meuse and the Ardennes does. But not in the towns or cities.

What a wonderful system :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: shame they don’t do it here! i think all the forest is privately owned around here though.

:smile::smile: not since the revolution! Maybe one day there will be enough woodland iin towns again to parcel it out!

The forest here is national. We get trees from about 40cm to 120cm diameter and no pines in the forest at all, all good wood. To be able to get your “cut” from the Marie you have to have your certificate to prove you have been on one of the Forestry Commisions training courses in the use of the chainsaw. felling and safety. Also proof of public liability insurance. We share the forest with the chasseures so there are times when we can’t go. All has to be in by the end of September. The winter is a no go time.

There’s some lovely postings above. We’re surrounded by chestnut forest - this stretch of the Lot Valley is known as the Chataignerie and until the C20th the local economy was based on the myriad uses of chestnuts. Unfortunately, our hectare of woodland is on the other side of the Lot and beyond the Figeac - Rodez railway line, it’s also 500 metres up the side of a steep gorge, and finally it largely consists of re-wilded silver birch (pioneer species). So, I just lie in my hammock enjoying looking at at ‘our wood’ that runs along the skyline - that’s sufficient!

Not everyone knows about the culinary uses and health benefits of the humble chestnut.
They form a part of school dinners during winter months… at our village school.

The chestnuts were mainly ground into a flour, for galettes and the like; they were also used to fatten pigs.

David do you have any contact details of those courses? They sound jolly useful.

Contact the nearest Office Nationale des Forets. Hopefully they will help

1 Like