Looking for a companion dog to ours

Hmmm OH will not decide :rofl:

Yes seen the mouthing stuff and a bit more but no big deal. Just play and testing each other out

Look at Paws United UK on Facebook. They have some dogs they are desperate to home. We got ours from them. I can send you the link if you are interested.

Something they learn in play as puppies. If another dog, or you, squeal they generally stop. Squeal every time and the dog learns not to mouth.

We have two doodle sisters who have been together since birth. They play together (still, at 10 years old!) and the favoured trick is for one to try grabbing the hind leg of her sister and flip her. Hardly ever works but she still tries. Not something she tries with any other dog.

You are right, they learn as pups, mum and siblings soon stop that habit. Unfortunately our GSD was taken from his family far too early for any of them to stop him so he is really mouthy.

@Susannah what an amazing trick! And how funny.

BTW everyone I was only joking when I said OH doesn’t have a say in this. Of course he does, taking on another dog is not to be taken lightly and we will have patience and wait for the right one to come along as it will be a forever home with us.

3 Likes

Do you live in France and was your dog adopted to you here? Just wondering because I see they insist, rightly, on a home visit before acceptance. Perhaps they have French members who can do that. :smile:

Hi Davis, yes we live in France. Our dog was not adopted here but in the UK. I would be happy with any adoption service to come and visit us to ensure we are a good home

I think you misunderstood my post @blade46, if you look to the top right of it you will see that it is in answer to the post about Paws United UK, posted by @Smudge2012 and it was to them that I posed the question about UK dogs being adopted to France, because it might be more difficult now.

I took a look at the Perigueux SPA site just now, prompted by this thread but also a bit of nostalgia because it was from there that we adopted our little Lab X oldie (14), Opie last December. She was a darling and, although we only had 8 months with her they were full of joy.

But I just wanted to say how impressed I was, again, with the honesty on that site. They pull no punches on the ‘defects’ of each dog, be it barking, can’t live with opposite sex, or only with opposite sex, even destructive in the house. It is a bit of a minefield adopting a dog, particularly a stray, so information like this is worth its weight in gold. :grinning:

3 Likes

Just moved to France this week. They did a virtual home visit but it is mainly you they are checking out. Our dog was rescued from Bosnia and they have just driven 8 dogs from Banja Luka to Limoges. I would recommend them as everything is very professionally done. Amber is chipped and has a passport too!

I see, thank you, so my question on their site is irrelevant then. I posted to ask if they adopted dogs to France and you have answered the question, although not physically via the UK, which would have been a bit more complicated.

I am not quite so happy about the virtual visit though. I was turned down as a prospective Greyhound (well Galgo really) adopter because they asked for a virtual tour of my home and garden. The reason was because they misinterpreted the sight of a very large mobile cage in my veranda even though I had told them that it was there merely for overnight dogs who were temporarily there before moving on to new homes. They just said we don’t adopt Levriers to be caged.

However, that criticism is from the association’s and dog’s point of view, not the new owner so I am very pleased that it worked out for you. :smile:

@Susannah Yes, Phoenix have always interpretated the law that way, that they are not permitted to make charges or fees. We fostered for them for many years and were told to inform prospective owners that this is the cost of rehoming the dog and perhaps they would bear that in mind when deciding what contribution to make. I never knew anyone to pay less, and many paid more.

On the other hand, PAD, which is also a registered French charity, but run entirely by French people (unlike Phoenix), they are quite clear on their website of the fees that are required for different classes of dog. Male, female, young or old etc.

Not sure which is correct, I suspect PAD but maybe the founders of Phoenix always had in the back of their minds that we immigrants always have in the backs of our minds that we may not always have the right to be here. :grinning:

Apologies all, for attaching a link to Phoenix rescues with no explanation. It posted it as a source for the OP and anyone else looking for a pet. Sorry for confusing @David_Spardo with the Phoenix link header into a conversation on rescue home fees.

That said, I do think it is a good idea to charge adopters a fee. No guarantee but helps to weed out the less serious adopters.

1 Like

I agree entirely, there should be a fee, but no apology necessary, I wasn’t confused but just thought I would point out an anomaly of the way 2 different charities interpret the law.

2 Likes

Have you spoken to a dog behavioural therapist.
It could be some anxiety issue and another dog could help.

However I’ve heard of getting a puppy, and it settled the older dog down. I’d be careful with getting an older dog as it may want to be take command of what is already your dogs domain.

I’d definitely recommend having a chat with a behavioural therapist first.

1 Like

Have indeed done that. After goodness knows how many hundreds we spent the conclusion was he is guarding his flock of sheep :hushed: