Lowcost locations in France with good public links to coast

Speaking from personal experience,we had a fair sized property but when OH suddenly died at 56 I was left all alone(kids both gone their own way) and had to cope with all that entailed and eventually I became a slave to the garden which was not immense but two hours plus to cut the grass weekly became a chore I would put off and then have to spend longer next time. You have to consider these things should you still be living in a big place when one of you eventually dies (I know its not something people like talking about but it can happen just like that and in a few minutes your previous life is gone forever) and how they will manage as they too, get older. I saw many neighbours downsize over the years when they were left widowed or divorced and all said they had no regrets and were glad to have done so even though the memories they left behind upset them. Eventually the thought of the kids inheriting the family home and only being able to visit maybe once a year plus upkeep and taxes pushed for a sale which has given me a new life whilst the memories will stay with me for ever.

4 Likes

I think it’s also about envisaging how one can adapt one’s life - we’ve started talking about this. I, for example, would buy garden robots and let them do it for me.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for sharing your insights and for all your good and sound advice. It has definitely made me think more about affordability, lifestyle, property maintenance, distance from amenities and friends/social circles etc. Really appreciate it. Will keep you posted if we do make the move in the future. Many thanks :slight_smile: