M. ou Mme Bat hopefully saved for the nation

seemed like this little one couldn’t climb out of the washbasin… so I offered it a towel and it gratefully clambered onto it… then it was a swift exit to find a more suitable spot…
OH grabbed his camera for a quick photo while I was gently heading for the front door with my precious cargo …

5 Likes

:bat::hugs::heart_eyes::bat::hugs::heart_eyes:

Incidentally, due to this interesting thread, I’ve done a bit of research and…
next time I find a bat indoors… if it’s a bit sluggish it might need water.
A small, shallow lid, with a tiny drop of water… left beside the bat… can help them recover.
Mustn’t be big or deep as if they flop into it they will drown…

2 Likes

Since my experience of rats occupying my house, I’ve learned that they can emit, like bats, ultrasonic sounds. Tame rats for example emit ultrasonic ‘laughter’ when tickled – they like being tickled. And they communicate with each other ultrasonically.

I have bats around and about but which I rarely see, so I’ve downloaded an ultrasonic sound detector app to my smartphone. Didn’t know these things existed. Not sure if this will work but will find out soon.

No detectable little ultrasonic voices this morning but will be listening this evening as it gets dark, when both rats and bats wake up.

It’s experimental at the moment and the app I’ve downloaded is Ultrasound Detector DEJ Technology GmbH for Android.

4 Likes

yes, the bat detectors can be fun/useful… experienced them when visiting a Reserve in Devon a couple of years ago… wandering around at dusk hearing the beep beep…

Here we don’t hear our little friends, we say hello every morning at Roll Call… and note their absence from their bunkhouse in the evening…

Early dusk… birds are still flitting… but bats are zipping much, much faster… acrobats in the darkening skies…

Our large barn is home to a number of bat families and also home for our motors. We have a large tarpaulin fitted over the beams where the motors are parked to catch any dust that falls from the roof structure when windy but it doesn’t impede the bats flight path. It took me a long time to work out why we get small water marks appear on our cars (both of which are black) which look like a water droplet has landed and run down for a few millimetres.
How could water be getting through a good roof and tarpaulin when it wasn’t even raining?
Bat pee in flight!!

A bat detector can also pick up rat & mouse ultrasonics, so I’m getting one! A new toy!

Want to know how my rodent visitors react to me….as well as identify the local bats.

1 Like

I don’t mind identifying bats… I’m not over the moon about rodents :wink: :wink:

My daughter had one in her hair.
It came into the house and roosted on her head tangling her claws in her hair.
Tgere was some screaming I can tell you.

1 Like

I had similar with my wife when we were in the hot tub, cue lots of screaming and I had to rescue the bat from the water :laughing:

I’ve quite often had creatures seek refuge in my hair eg after I’ve rescued them from a cat and they’ve scuttled up my arm - a worry as you don’t want them to get tangled up and hurt themselves, or hurt them yourself as you try to untangle them.

2 Likes

Warms the cockles - take a bow!

If they explain all this to pippi s/he will understand s/he has to up his/her game

Bat or Rat?

Sadly our bat died yesterday, presumably due to internal injuries sustained in its accident, according to the CHÊNE animal hospital.

So sad. You did all that you possibly could. Let’s hope he/she has flown to a happier place.
:lotus:

1 Like

Oh that is sad news… but well done for trying.

I always worry about our bat family if some go missing from their usual roost… then breathe a sigh of relief a few days later when it’s “business as usual”.

2 Likes

Can’t like the post, so thanks for the next chapter of the story despite being sad.

6 Likes