Making coffee - back to basics

I use an old fruit wood Peugeot, but it’s good to have a spare one or two in the kitchen…

Have also got one of the big old Peugeot moules that were used in the cafés

2 Likes

That’s where I first discovered monsooned Malabar.

2 Likes

Now here’s a thing. Is this something to do with Brexit or is it, as an SFista once commented, that “The French are the only people who pay RRP”

This is the machine I have. If it died I’d buy another instanter.
4.5/5 from 78,037 ratings. [FR & U.S.A.]
Brits slightly less chuffed 4/5 on 465 ratings

The scent - smell is too coarse a word here - must have been [pun intended :grinning:] fabulous. The pro film lab I used for 20 years was in the basement of Fern’s, tea and coffee merchants, where they roasted their coffees. Gorgeous aromas.

3 Likes

Nice thought, but I think that would have depended on several other factors, particulalrly whether as in St Martin de Bouilac’s twin viillage opposite it on the Lot, the sewage ran down the streets to the river…

Our local torréfacteur does an organic Honduran bean that we have settled on as our daily choice, and have a Sage expresso machine can adjust grind, pressure, water temperature and the like especially if we change to another bean doe a different occasion (I did not pass my formation so am banned from coffee making). It makes excellent coffee.

Since we don’t have a café that makes great coffee nearby we convinced ourselves this fell into the necessity rather than luxury category.

I have instructions for roasting beans at home, but haven’t yet tried.

Think this thread is polarising between techies and an unlikely alliance of old school and hipsters (well, of that ilk at least) - computerised versus artisanally crafted morning coffee.

But of course there are also middle grounds - instant apology for that one (or two)!

1 Like

We forgive you - at least you kept your tamper

1 Like

We’re very happy with the Senseo system. Easy to use, no mess, no faff.

There are often really good deals to be had on both the genuine Senseo bags & the vast range of third party ones.

Over recent years I have noticed very long queues at the coffee stalls … at the various exhibitions/salons we visit…
Folk never used to have to wait so long, in the days when coffee was produced in a large whatever… several cups of freshly-brewed could be dished out swiftly…
Nowadays, with so many using the individual sachet thingies it takes an absolute age…

1 Like

Exactly, used to make a filter jug of coffee and it would last the whole day.

1 Like

OH does that at home and so do some of our neighbours…
One pal makes a pot in the morning and lets it cool. then reheats his coffee in a small pan on the gas… and watches carefully to make sure it doesn’t boil… lovely chap, but I’m sure he’ll set his beard alight one of these days… :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

I ground up fresh beans a few times as the shop up the road sold them in many different mixes freshly roasted. Put that in my basic filter and it was fab.
My fancy bean to cup delonghi also made a fantastic cup of coffee but at £1200 I doubt it covered its cost and it packed up. ( I got it 2nd hand so didnt pay that).

1 Like

It also needs the right water. Very soft water (little dissolved impurities) can give a great crema whereas hard water is the opposite.

2 Likes

One lovely lady, living just outside the village… will often ask me to stay for a “quick coffee” and (sadly) I don’t always have the time as it never is “quick” (albeit it is delicious).

Even though she knows I’ll be dropping-by, she is never prepared… :wink:
She searches her cupboard for the packet… then measures out the beans… then grinds 'em by hand… then searches her other cupboard for the oldstyle stovetop thingy… and eventually it all gets going… :rofl:

Mind you, while we wait… she will produce all sorts of eau de vie… which she urges me to taste… hic…

2 Likes

Or those who just want a cup of coffee, and those who want espresso with crema?

Also have the La Pavoni, makes great espresso, after letting it heat up properly - the best things comes to those who wait. But for normal coffee I like a standard Melita paper filter job. It is not so much the system, but the quality of coffee you buy

1 Like

and the quality of the grind!

1 Like

Easy tiger :joy:

5 Likes

Aeropress. (inverted method with steel filter)

I got to this method 11 years ago via stovetop, filter and cafetiere.

I don’t have much of a palate, but I currently blend 3 kinds of bean from a local roaster - an El Salvador Bourbon, a “natural” Brazilian of varying composition and 20 percent of Columbian to add a little brightness.
Handground …

I tend to time the brewing by how long it takes to prepare my slice of toast, but there’s lots of stirring so I get the last bit of flavour out.

1 Like