Marx and Engels - Still influencers after all these years

2 Likes

But let’s not beat about the bush, the OP has not added anything positive to the conversation.

Who has managed ro add anything positive about the current crop of Tories?

Well let’s face it, it’s impossible to defend the indefensible! :laughing:

And please can we stop confusing UK politics with the UK as a whole. Yes to good stuff about the UK but no to feeble excuses for those in power.

3 Likes

I don’t know which conversation you are referring to, unless it is the point of my question which, without wanting to wind anybody up, was about the freedom of speech and the apparent oppression of views which argue for it. I thought the piece by Marina Hyde posted by @vero above captured it perfectly (IMHO).

I guess you will need to provide concrete examples of people being shut down?

And to refer back to your opening statement you say “Every single Forum piles on any member who extols the virtue of Conservatism, Capitalism and even Liberalism” Do you mean every single person or every single thread?

I can think of some examples for sure but not all the time. Most of the time, people’s freedom of speech grumbles seem to consist of telling others they don’t like what they are saying and to please stop. I started the amazing things about the UK thread when I felt the constant news about the UK was becoming too depressing. I didn’t embark upon a cancel culture missive.

Maybe you think I am shutting people down by saying the current government are indefensible?

I would love for you to exercise your freedom of speech and tell me how they are not.

When you say you are looking for a pro-conservative website to enjoy during your sunset years do you mean traditional old school conservative or the current iteration?

1 Like

I agree with your sentiment, Paul. I was absolutely delighted to find SF (i.e. an ex-UK-in-France forum that has some left-leaning members)!