McAfee or AVG?

Brain, Windows 7pro64 SP2 must be paid if you use it on more then one machine, you can not install it. Otherwise, once the machine is plugged into the cyberspace patches are blocked. (I use it now only on the travel laptop and it is a German version, MS Germany is crazy but I think its the same with English versions). Linux is completely free. Also hassle-free. And offers simply full control what we can't say about MS as it is drawing the buyer into all kind of dependencies.

Seconded here.

Microsoft Security Essentials does the trick assuming you've got a legit licence of XP, Vista or Win7 and is an easy fire and forget solution. I used to use Avast! on all my systems (and my family's) but I just swapped to MSE. You do need to download and install it, but it doesn't take long. Avast! has more features, but not worth the hassle of having to renew the (free) licence key each year in opinion

Windows 8 has Microsoft Defender built in, which is both AV and Anti-spyware and you don't need to install anything.

Diana, that's the only program I miss on Linux. It took me 3 years to get the same results with with this funny Gimp. But since a year GIMP has very much improved. Keep in mind that you will work on UNIX (like you do when working with Mac) and this does not destroy your photos as Windows DOS generator does with it permanent compressions.
The alternative for "Lightroom" is clearly digiKam I use digiKam as it allows to change EXIF data, automatize all the caption writing, working on RAW, makes uploads via FTP and/or to most of all this photohosting sites like photoshelter or flikr. With the new versions even panorama stiching
Anyway, better take your time to get used with a semi pro editing program then using a "easy to use" one, they simply don't offer enough editing options.

Hi Theo, just wondered which photo editing prog you use on Linux. You can't use photoshop?

Every year I buy mine (Kaspersky) from Amazon UK - considerably cheaper than buying direct. Exactly the same product. I'm sure the same with all the paid versions. However Avast and AVG free versions are supposed to be quite adequate for general usage and they are user-friendly.

that's what I use too, used AVG for years without a problem either.

Another reasonably priced (free!) antivirus software is Avast, which I used for years while on Windows.
I do not understand why people pay for that kind of software, since even Microsoft offers protection for free.

I use Avast! which is free.

While i was on holiday some years back my stepdaughter downloaded loads of music from a site well known for virus onto my home pc she overuled AVG she actually admited doing it but wanted the music that was more important not content with that she also used all my discs she did tremendous long term damage i eventually lost all my work and data she has done the same to her dads pc also her friends and her friends fathers pc do they ever learn she is now banned from every pc in her group of friends and has to go to a cafe i now never open any mail from her its safer on the telephone even then i'm not sure i never found anyone who could repair the system to original in the uk

Wendy, AVG free. If you go for a paid version: Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 because it is both user- and resource-friendly while AVG is jamming a bit...

Have you ever considered to use eg Linux? I use Linux since 4 years for photo editing since Mac became too intrusive, Mickysoft 8 ridicules and the Servicepack 2 for Windows 7 costs 200 US$. Linux is not so effected by maleware as windows.

Use AVG free and Microsoft Esentials which is also free, there is no need to pay for these things.

I have a very fine pair of shoes in my sights Roy!!

Very true Roz, our other computer suffered a similar fate with paid for McAfee AV protection...

This AntiVirus thing is pretty much over-hyped. Simply by being prudent and not blindly opening e-mail attachments or following suspicious links most people will never be troubled. As for paying huge annual amounts simply to slow down your PC that really is a waste of money. I agree that the free AVG is fine for the vast manjority of PC users, and even the Microsoft free supplied Firewall/Antivirus isn't too bad (but not as good as AVG).

Don't waste your money - I am sure that you can find something else to spend it on that will be much more rewarding

Hi Wendy,

AVG allowed a trojan into my computer and now have avira free they are very good but the hackers are also good and will get into anything, I think it is all a chance we take

second that, Brian ;-)

I have tried a lot of anti-virus products and definitely second using Microsoft Security Essentials - it is free and integrated with Windows and people seem to feel that it is a product that Microsoft have got right!

Hi Brian, it was around 2009 that they began to make it difficult to get updates etc. I think previously it had been auto-updated everyday. perhaps it is again now? They were pushing you to use the pay version from what I can remember. Lots of messages etc etc. So I switched.....

Perhaps we should have another debate now about the best free AV.....

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful...and money-saving...I could buy quite a nice pair of shoes with the money I save...couldn't I?

I have a Symantec Corporate version which is fantastic. Even though the produced Norton, it has none of the quirks like slowing everything down. Most universities use it, so I get a copy from them plus the user number and so on. MSE is good too. A couple of computer pros I know have told me that no AV is best, if you have the self-discipline to check everything yourself.