Moles infestation

My dogs are double coated so lots of underfur groomed out when they seasonally shed their coats…I leave it for the birds to line their nests with…I’ve not tried leaving shed underfur in runs yet but they do wee on the molehills…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only way I found is to blow the little buggers up, get a detauper and petards from your local brico or gamme vert

2 Likes

Let the moles live their lives in peace! Poor moles, harried and hated…:cry:

4 Likes

If they leave me and mine in peace, more than happy to leave them alone, as I’ve said I won’t deliberately kill them, I enjoyed Him in ‘Wind in the Willows’ too much as a kid V’ L’ :slightly_smiling_face:

We will try that Bill, our collie cross leaves hair everwhere.

1 Like

Same with ours, Labracollie, how she has any hair left mystifies me :slightly_smiling_face:

We too are infested with the blighters. The grounds around the house are beginning to resemble scenes of WWI battlefields. I recenty flattened those in the lawns in order to mow, before dusk 5 new mounds had appeared.
we have 6 hectares of land adjacent to the lawn which we do not do anything with, they would not be a problem to me there. There are already quite a few lower down in the field.
It is time to mow again. This time I going to flatten the mounds, then put used cat litter down the holes nearer the house, in an attempt to drive them away, towards the field…

1 Like

When we were troubled with moles in UK… a friend advised me to gently brush the mound into a pan, (excellent soil for potting)… rather than just flattening it… that left the mole free to enjoy his tunnels without the need to make more hills…

Well, that was the theory. The soil is, indeed, good for potting… but the little devils took great delight in tormenting us… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

We’re mowing today and not a mole hill in sight.
IMHO justifies getting the professionals in to get it sorted… so many old wives tales about how to control them…

‘Old Wives’ aren’t ‘Daft’ Graham, they go for the cheaper option, 'cos, whatever you do, they will return :wink:

If you don’t want to kill the moles or pollute your soil with petroleum products and other toxins, I’d strongly recommend BSi Anti-Taupe granules, which are readily available and cost about €12 for a 600gr bottle that should be enough for a couple of dozen molehills. You just put a capful down the hole and fill in with the soil heap. I’ve been using this compound in our garden for several years as soon as mole hills appear in the Spring and have found it very effective. After I’ve treated a few new ones as soon as they appear, the moles move off the property and in previous years, haven’t returned till the following Spring.

It’s less suitable for paddocks, but ideal for gardens and potagers.

Hope this is useful,

1 Like

Like that Mark, but I don’t think the amount of Petrole I use (half an eggcup max), will do any harm. Btw, wot’s in the granules? :slightly_smiling_face:

Might give the granules a try - somewhat dreading next week’s visit as they have been rather active for the past couple of years.

Hi Mark, will try them prefer not to have to kill any creature.

1 Like

Ah, back from a weekend in Basançon, lovely village!

There’s another mole trap on the market and I’m having great success with. Yes, it does dispatch the mole, so please spare the vitriolic attacks; some people prefer the eradication solution.

As always, many people have many remedies and there are a lot of people inventing things such as explosives, granules, smoke, poisons. All of which are illegal for a diplomed artisan pest controller to use (Hi!). Poisons* and soil polluting products are also illegal, they might work, I’m just relaying the law.

*Aluminium Phosphate is a radical method, but a separate diploma is required and the regulations for its use are incredibly strict.

Moles don’t like wind or light in their tunnels, so just forking the soil is often enough. You need to keep on top of the molehills (pun intended). Every time you get a molehill, flatten it and fork around the area.

The usual problem is when people let the garden to be overridden by molehills and don’t know where to begin treating the problem.

Anyway, my trap, no holes need to be dug, simply find the tunnel between the 2 most recent molehills, with a flat (edging) spade, make 2 slits in the ground the width of the trap’s jaws, insert the trap and press down with your foot. Trap flat = no mole, trap raised = mole.

It’s big enough to see from afar and is visible enough to avoid losing it or mowing over it.

It’s puppy time for moles, the female will give birth to up to seven pups between now and June, so it could get busy.

Also bear in mind, rats, and mice and even snakes will use mole tunnels.

Have fun!

4 Likes

Saw a trap today, but with just a flap ‘door’ at each end, doesn’t kill the mole, it get trapped between the two ‘flap’ thingies, worth a :thinking:

I was sceptical when I first bought the stuff and pleasantly surprised by how rapid and effective it was. The moles return every Spring but are gone again within a few days. I buy from a local garden centre, but you might try the link below.

https://www.jardineries-dupoirier.com/taupe/7582-anti-taupes-granules-600g-de-bsi-bio-service-international-taupe-pas-cher-livraison-rapide-de-gironde-5420046650611.html?utm_campaign=1&utm_source=1-2&utm_medium=1-3&gclid=CjwKCAjw75HWBRAwEiwAdzefxB2rioMC0QTQW8GjYNu-Ge2tiQCZoxtb1LZCjQ9DeJO0iCr4FJow1hoCRjgQAvD_BwE

Now if someone could tell me how to best deal with a rat infestation in a mediaeval stone house built into a cliff (so impossible to establish how they got in) . We began with the humane trap, but have had to escalate the campaign. Currently the count is: humane trap 1; Lucifer trap 1.5 (one escaped but left a trail of gore); expensive Caussade rat poison: nil.

I’ve sent you a message.

Bait does work, it’s knowing where to bait and knowing what food source the bait is competing against; eg you don’t use sachets in a grain silo if they’re used to eating grain!

Snap traps (Lucifer or T-Rex) are good but it depends what you’re using to attract them, cheese no, nutella yes.

Humane traps it is illegal to release rodents…however if you were to release them, release them in an open field miles from anywhere, it will give birds of prey a cheap meal. Assuming the rodent hasn’t already taken some rodenticide.

Most humane rat traps recommend using a glue board inside, rendering it the least humane way of rodent control.

Hope that helps!

Just a thought, there are non toxic UV blocks and powders available which will glow in under a UV /black light. The UV blocks will monitor any rodent activity with glowing poo, the powder will highlight their footsteps/tail trail.

This is non toxic to rodents as it is only used to monitor activity (blocks) and entry points (powder)

P1000483
P1000487
P1000484

Nutella - that is a new one for me to try.

We have success with Milka chocolate (but not supermarket’s own = posh mice!) unfortunately peanut butter does not work for us but Nutella being almost a cross between chocolate and peanut butter may be the perfect solution!

1 Like