Monarchy vs Republic in the UK

What would be the advantages of the UK becoming a republic?

1 Like

Actually I think you need to define the role of the head of state under a republic before arguing that an elected head is preferable to the current regime.

If the elected head were purely a figurehead i.e. the same as the current Queen how would you decide if you were “happy with them” or not? On what criteria would you elect them?

If political then, presumably, it would mean restructuring government in the UK. What would the Prime Minister be responsible for if there was a President setting policy as in the US or France?

When I came to France I did not give a moments thought to the fact that France was a republic. I doubt that many others did either. It most definitely does not add to, or detract from, my life here. I imagine most immigrants from the UK would say the same thing. I’d be interested to see some evidence to support your view.

1 Like

We’re not getting an answer to this question are we Tim? It’s been asked several times on this thread and yet no one seems to be able to provide a list of advantages.

It seems to me it’s based on a dislike of the current monarchy rather than a real desire for a new political regime. It’s like, well, as long as we don’t have to pay for this current lot (because they’re German, undeserving, feckless, posh whatever) that’s all that matters.

I would really like to see a clearly reasoned argument. I’m still hoping someone will provide it.

1. A president would be elected, so removeable. :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

Why is that an advantage Bill?

My objection to the monarchy is simply that in a modern democracy there is no place for a head of state who has that position simply because of their birth and not merit, I don’t believe in an unelected House of Lords either. I believe the UK would stlll have a thriving tourist industry without a reigning monarchy just as France does. It has NOTHING to do with any German heritage or whether they’re posh etc. so please don’t insult me by implying they are my reasons. I do object very strongly to the cost as my priorities would be very different to paying for an unelected head of state and their growing family in the manner they have become accustomed which is far more extravagant than it needs to be. Nor have I heard any arguments that convince me there is any advantage to having a monarchy just the same old same old that means nothing to me. I should add that I do not necessarily dislike the individuals, well maybe just one or two, but it the institution that I find so wrong in the 21st century. Obviously a republic does work as is proved in France so why couldn’t it work in the UK?

1 Like

Absolutely, I not sure why anyone can’t see the advantage in that.

1 Like

No one can dispute that but thereafter the state picks up the tab for security, an office, staff etc for life.

1 Like

But not their whole family as well or housing and travel for life.

1 Like

Please could you tell us why becoming a republic would benefit the UK?

1 Like

Very well put Poppy :+1:

You are replying to a comment I made to Tim not you. Why are you insulted by a general comment not aimed at you?

I was hoping to get some idea of the type of republic you are hoping to see in the UK. As you keep referring to France I assume you want a political head of state? That’s entirely different from the current role of the Queen.

What if you got a President you didn’t vote for for? Would you be happy paying for him/her and their family?

As I’ve already said, I have no strong views either way I just want to be convinced that changing from one regime to another would be preferable.

1 Like

Well personally, if an election produced a President other than the one I preferred, I would console myself, with the knowledge, that in 5yrs, I would have the opportunity of voting for a candidate I would like to see in office, not a bedroom lottery!

2 Likes

This is interesting from The Independent. It’s a couple of years old but still relevant I imagine. When you compare the France and the UK it seems the Queen is cheaper.

This is interesting as well. I had no idea that so many of them received money from private income.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/mortgages-bills/how-much-does-the-royal-family-cost-11363982445194

ROTFL! Hands up anyone who moved to France because it’s a republic?

1 Like

This is something to consider as well. Changing Presidents every 4/5 years could get really expensive.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ex-presidents-cost-france-over-e10-million-a-year-jacques-chirac-nicolas-sarkozy-valery-giscard-destaing/

Who said anyone moves to France BECAUSE it’s a republic?

1 Like

I know you were replying to Tim but you were referring to those who are anti-monarchy which I am and Tim isn’t.

1 Like

Sorry, on the ferry so just a short post replying to one of Poppy’s posts.

Why should anyone believe that someone is better qualified to be head of state, simply because they are capable of winning an election?

1 Like

@Poppyfields, I do not see myself as a monarchist even though I’m happy with the status quo.

To be honest I’m not sure you can compare a passive monarchy with a republic where the elected head of state has so much power. Germany has a president who is virtually anonymous so is that what you had in mind?

If there was quantifiable evidence that the UK would benefit from becoming a republic then I’ve no doubt the voting public would push for it and I would go along with it. To me the phrase ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ sums up why the Royals remain popular.

Since this discussion started I’ve looked into the costs of presidents in various countries and the sums are staggering, but I’ve always thought the money issue is just a red herring anyway.