Monarchy vs Republic in the UK

Wouldn’t you Brits call it word play?

Woops - careful Ian - you’re becoming more and more ‘transparent’…:-:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@ Simon Innit blud :wink:

2 Likes

How they intersect? That would be a sight to behold but only after the 9 o’clock watershed.
I will strive, in future, to select three alternative examples of vociferous minority groups whose noise output far exceeds their actual numbers.

Not sure what this means so I’ll ignore it.
Possibly something to do with the dangers of giving the Brexit vote to stupid people.

So, it should have been left solely to yourself? :wink:

That’s an amazingly arrogant remark.

3 Likes

@Ian_Loughlin, this topic evolved from a similar one about the recent wedding, regardless of whether the Royals remain popular or not it is interesting to read people’s views on the pros and cons of keeping the monarchy or becoming a republic. I sense that you enjoy a ‘joust’ so it would be nice if your replies were free of personal digs.

3 Likes

That was an amazingly arrogant remark.

(Sorry Bill, not aimed at you.)

2 Likes

Didn’t think it was :wink:

It was in response being described as ‘transparent’ (by Simon). Don’t know what that means.

Well possibly, but there is a very serious problem here. Being retired I get the opportunity to watch some daytime TV quiz shows. It is disgraceful how so many people get very simple questions wrong. What has happened to our education system in recent years?
Also if you look at the Jeremy Kyle show (please don’t) they represent a growing sector of the ignorant and illiterate UK population.
It is clear that many people do not understand, and are incapable of understanding, the arguments for staying or leaving the EU (by the way we will always be in Europe).
Although democracy is the basis of our constitution it does require people of honesty and intellect to guide the populace and not allow them to vote with their pizzas.

1 Like

Dear me Ian, stop diggin’ matey :wink::wink:

Ian, there is a serious problem here. Many people probably didn’t grasp the implications of voting to Leave but many did and made their decisions accordingly. The east coast towns voted overwhelmingy to Leave not because they hate foreigners or because they are particulalrly nationalistic or patriotic. The majority, in my opinion and based on seeing for myself voted Leave because they are fed up with the increasing numbers of eastern europeans invading their towns. There are areas in Gt Yarmouth for example which have almost become ‘no-go areas’ This causes resentment. Maybe such things aren’t seen in the more leafy suburbs ? Problem is of course that housing needs to be found as well as jobs in already depressed areas. I’m sure if such numbers invaded Reigate or Ascot etc the locals would soon get upset !

3 Likes

The great irony here is that the thick Brexit loving Jeremy Kyle watchers are the same group that love the Royals so Ian is effectively moaning about his fellow monarchists, priceless.

If the telly had that effect on me Ian, I would have disposed of it long before I did, but it’s been gone, a long time ago :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

You aught to stick with Ian, Tim :rofl:

Because?

Agreed. My thoughts exactly. The people who make decisions and live in Ascot, Reigate and Chipping Norton, are not the people who have to suffer the consequences of their decisions. If you take a typical town up t’north, eg Blackburn, stand in the street with your eyes closed and listen to the sounds and aromas you might think you were in Fallujah. This is not racist or anti Johnny Foreigner, it is an indictment of our immigration policies.
People have been asking for a controlled, well-managed immigration policy since the days of Enoch P. Wanting to take control of our borders was a major driver for Brexit.
If you close down the major labour intensive industries and put 4 million people on the dole, the answer is not to import 4 million immigrants. We should retrain or re-purpose the people already here.
It is sad that there is no party that can provide an inclusive society for all UK citizens. It is either the hard left under JC (no not Jesus) or the far right with their bank accounts in the Cayman Islands.
I don’t see any solution on the horizon with our current leadership. Teresa has the gravitas of a Mothercare branch manager in Reading.
I guess that’s why so many people have absconded to France. Things are much better there…

For what it’s worth: I have never watched the Jeremy Kyle show. I hate the smarmy sanctimonious bastard. I catch a glimpse of his program when switching channels. Sadly he is a role model for a large section of the UK community. If it were up to me I would broadcast ‘The Railway Children’ on endless loop.

2 Likes

Moi aussi - Because?