More electrical fun

I have a copy of “Electricity in your French House” by Thomas Malcolm on my Kindle app. Rules and techniques explained in English, it’s been very useful after I bought a place in rural France a couple of years ago.

Sorry to rain on your parade but that book does not show current regulations (unless it’s been updated, which I doubt). IMO it wasn’t very good to start with.

There is no up to date English language electrical “bible”.

@Jim24 I strongly recommend getting a copy of L’installation Électrique as well as Promotelec’s latest guide to the regs.

Being in French they will teach you all the correct words & names for things, which pays dividends when you need to buy materials &/or discuss things with energy providers.

3 Likes

Thanks, appreciate your knowledge and experience!

Guides aimed at householders, such as Schneider’s can be a useful introduction to the regs.

Sounds like a handy aid Cysh, though unfortunately it’s now out of print, and as I don’t want a digital version I’ll just have to keep an eye out for a second-hand copy.

Thanks

Great resources Badger, and looks like they will come in very handy for the definitive answers. Appreciated.

Cheers, I’ll give it a go…

You could just look up NF C 15-100 for up to date regulations, should find a pdf download.

That is very true. However, the document is not legally downloadable for free & it’s expensive to buy in print or download.

The various 3rd party guides are good as they are illustrated distillations of the print heavy original text. Reading the proper normes is quite a challenge & there is a lot in there that doesn’t apply domestically, but could easily confuse.

My copy has just arrived and, having just dipped into it at a free random points, it looks brilliant with super clear explanations.

3 Likes

There are several books with the same title, which one is this?

Is it Leroy Merlin or maybe La Peyre who have handy booklets foc on “how to do…” in Plumbing and Electrics… plus the staff are super helpful too…

There’s a link in Badger’s earlier post that i replied to.

Here you go.

1 Like

Many thanks, my version is much older so might be time to get a new version.

Don’t suppose it’s on Kindle?

I think I saw a kindle version advertised.

You may find this helpful

1 Like