Mountainous region: either the Alps or the Pyreeness for a home

Hi John
I hope the info below answers your questions?
the average population density in the Jura is 52 people per Km2, however in the countryside and villages like ours its a lot lower… our village is several km from any other, and the population of the village is about 120 people of all ages.
(from the list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_departments_by_population )

We are not particularly high up, for the Jura, at 830m. In winter, when there is snow in the region, it is probable that there will be enough cover to ski cross country from 1100 to 1300 metres. The nearest areas to us at those heights are about 20 minutes drive. If you look at Les Rousses and Mont d’Or (two local downhill ski resorts), you will get more detail… and both have winter webcams. The highest peaks are south of us, Geneva region, 1,717-8 m for Crêt de la Neige., and Le Reculet. (https://www.britannica.com/place/Jura-Mountains)

On our plateau, I think that the light is wonderful. We have fantastic sunsets through the winter months. All year we have a regular repeat pattern of several days of full sun and intense blue clear sky, followed by a couple of days of variously, storm, snow, rain, or just cloud. In summer the temperature builds from around 20 deg C at the start of the several days of sun, to normally around 28 deg C before the heat breaks and the orage days start. In winter the pattern is much the same. We were persuaded to buy when, in the winter following our first summer visit to the area, the light was flooding into all the rooms on January 2nd, and bouncing off the snow outside. It felt so different to the long grey winter experience in our house in a welsh valley!

While there ius a 31% average tree cover in France, and 37% for Bourgogne Franche Comte. The Jura at 54% makes up much of that, and the actual tree cover is greater, since this is for designated forests. (from https://www.globalforestwatch.org/ ) The Haute Jura also has a long history of Agro-Forestry, although there is little evidence remaining today. Agricultural colleges in France are just starting to address Agro-forestry again.

The Jura is one of the major Lake Districts of France https://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/lakes-region-1085.htm so there is plenty of summer sailing, swimming and fishing locally, as well as the usual canoing etc on local rivers.

I have friends, long resident near Albertville, whoe live close to Crest Voland, and while the views and air there are beautiful, I think the landscape is more spartan all year round. On our visits to Albertville and its surroundings in the summer, I found the valleys gave a feeling of being closed in, and the towns needed winter snow to look at all attractive. We then came across Nozeroy (http://www.nozeroy.info/), and initially intended to buy in the town, before finding that property in the neighbouring villages offered so much space, potential, and land for growing things.

I include a few compressed photos to illustrate the above.

ourJuraVillage.jpg

Our village in summer

Chalain.jpg

Lac de Chalain, near us, with sandy beaches and water temperatures of 23 deg C plus in Summer.

Sunlight flooding our south facing dining room in December.

JuraWinterSunset2.jpg

Our Jura winter sunsets. (Taken last week - we are now back in grey Wales for a few days).

Best wishes

John

1 Like

The Pyrenees is a lovely area in the summer, and possible to do lots of outdoor sports, Mtb, walking ,scrambling, canoeing, horse riding, but even in August it is quiet and a lot more beautiful than the charente which is very ordinary.

Would have thought it depends on how deep yer pockets are, as its probably twice the price for the same property in the Alps as it is in the Pyrenees.

Thanks JoCo
That’s an amazing and very informative post. Love the pictures. Jura does look stunning.

How much do folks who move out there miss the uk? And end up returning?

@ Tony Marwood it’s less about money and more about the immediate surroundings. The Pyrenees draws in people who love the remoteness, and also the ‘off-grid’ culture.

The Alps/Jura attracts a different crowd.

I understand the weather in the Pyrenees is composed of extremes, brutal summers & harsh winters. That’s a major downside.

My preference would be the Pyrenees crowd but set in the Alps or Jura!

How long is a piece of string??? I suspect the reasons why people return are the same as elsewhere in France and they are mixed.
There’s a group where (usually) one half of a marriage is homesick really from the word go and never really settles. They are probably the only ones who “miss” the UK as such.
Others, tend to love France and would stay if they could, but circumstances prevent it, eg they try to start a business but don’t make a go of it; the tug of children and grandchildren can be another reason (they expect the family will come out to France and then find as grandchildren especially grow up, they don’t). Increasing age and fraility, one half of a marriage left to cope on their own can also be reasons to return. Brexit, without doubt has frightened some who feel they need the backstop of the NHS or are concerned about pensions. None of the latter reasons are about missing the UK and some go back with great reluctance. Their quality of life on their return to the UK is rarely as good as here.

1 Like

That’s a fair review in my opinion… certainly echoes what has happened in my area of France…

I wonder what the “different crowd” you think are in the Jura? There’s a lot of remote and off-grid living round here - lots of alternative creative types. Also very outdoor orientated and with a multitude of extreme sports if that’s your thing. However the international element tend all to be french speakers, so you would need to speak french.

1 Like

I have a lot of family who live in the Pyrénées, they aren’t remotely off-grid etc and work hard (not knitting yoghurt in a yurt or whatever), they are keen on and good at skiing etc and like the snow in the morning/sea in the afternoon possibilities. They are French though so they probably don’t count.

1 Like

Hi John
Brits in the higher Jura are scattered. From my limited local experience it is unusual for smaller villages like ours to have more than one resident family. There may also be another expat owned holiday home or two, but it’s not clear whether they intend eventually to settle, as was our plan. I have not heard of anyone selling up, whereas I am aware through friends and family of several doing that in e.g Brittany. We are constantly reminded that our neighbours share our passion for and delight in the area.
I note you mention a wish for a “maison de maître with some land attached”. Is that a desire for a lot of built space and potential, or for a building with ready-made ‘architectural presence’ and aesthetic?
I have been researching buying at least 2 hectares in this area usable for a wooded smallholding (my step-daughter’s dream). I have found a number of catches and things to consider! I can share further if it’s of interest.

Thanks, yes I’d imagine the region would make a difference to the moves success.

My interests are focussed on a permaculture small-holding that reflects sustainability, & a space to explore land based creativity.

Architectural aesthetics are very high on the list, as well as space. I do enjoy hosting people, and usually have an open door policy for anyone interested in ecology.

Any information would be very helpful. The climate in Jura & the alps would be ideal, as well as the landscape.

In response to the others, my off-grid comment should actually be ‘a permaculture community’, living amongst communities who pursue this quite passionately can be very motivating.

In the uk, there are small pockets in Wales & Devon. Parts of Portugal are popular, & around Ariege in French Pyrenees. The latter probably because land & property are much cheaper.

I haven’t ruled out the uk, but like many, I’m drawn to the French landscape.

Ouch!

We live in the haut Vallespir at a place called Prats de Mollo la Preste
It is a small walled town 14 km from Spain and around 50:km from Perpignan. Lived here for 13 years . The locals are extremely friendly.We are at 800 metres weather very English lots of rain can be very hot and very cold always places here to rent.

1 Like