Move to France - but where?

I was shocked driving over the Loire at Tours. I should think you could have walked across it.

1 Like

Even when we visited 30 years ago, the Loire around Tours and Saumur was very low at the end of summer, and not what we expected.

The village where our house is located in the Morvan has very similar winter weather to our village in Oxfordshire, perhaps a touch colder and a little less damp. We were mildly amused after tracking weather for a couple of years.

OTOH the hills are ideal for cycling, and it’s a very rural area indeed.

When we moved near Albi we were not pleasantly surprised at how cold the winters were. Shortish, but far colder than southern England.

One important difference between southern French winters and certainly those of westward facing British coasts is that down here winters are not just drier, but the general level of humidity is much lower.

In my previous post I mentioned orientation, but of course altitude is also important, we’re in a valley bottom but close to much higher terrain - >700M+ where the winter temperature is frequently a few degrees lower, which can make a significant difference - our rain may be our friends’ snow.

1 Like

And thanks again. Now planning to visit the area when we visit France at the end of October. :blush:

It’s a long time since I visited Pau but won’t summers be beyond hot and dry there?

I am thinking Northern Spain and Portugal might not be bad.

They’re only looking for a winter place, presumably they could rent out over the summer.

And summer place for famiiy to stay.

You say southern half of France and to come mainly during the winter period, right?
For mildest temperatures, close to the sea is best, as soon as you head inland the night temperatures in winter get colder. For dry and sunny winters with low humidity, all the south-east is best, the south-west is more humid.
But don’t forget that coastal areas are often very urbanised, especially on the med coast, might not be what you want. Inland areas are often busy in summer tourist season, but very quiet in winter, maybe too quiet for you.
Mountainous areas for good cycling can be found throughout the south of France, but avoid urbanised areas where traffic will be too much. I won’t make specific suggestions of places, better to decide yourselves, but that gives a general idea about climate considerations and of course you need to calculate what level of urbanisation you want. France can be everything from highly urbanised to places far from work opportunities that are very rural with almost no life in winter. The type of people living in different environments can be very different too.

Thank you, PBS. Already the input from people on this site [including yours now] has helped us refine our search areas ready for our ‘research’ visit with our campervan in Oct. All much appreciated1

Which area will you research?

That’s all v helpful advice; thank you!

I’ve had a thought - could borrow some guide books for the various areas of interest - and maybe one or two for the whole country? (from the library?).

They have pictures, and descriptions of towns, places…

Maybe for general background?

Thanks larkswood12. Our table was already covered with them, in particular Rough Guides - guessing my husband would prefer more food space and less books but that’s how it goes…!
Seriously though I have found the suggestions and advice people have made on here since my initial post really helpful enabling us to refine our internet property searches down to hilly Minervois/ Aude/ Herault triangle (none of which we’d previously spent much time in) plus Pau area

Cheers

Ruth

2 Likes

Whilst in the Pau area you may find exploring around Salies de Béarn, Saint Palais and Saint Jean Pied de Port interesting not far from mountains and the sea also within driving distance to Biarritz, Bayonne and Northern Spain.

1 Like

Thanks for that; will do!

We lived in the Minervois from 2002 to 2009 and found it agreeable although it could be stifling in the summer (42 degrees on our wedding day in September) and frequently absolutely freezing in the winter.
We moved to Brittany in 2009 and although it is beautiful and very friendly we have now had enough of the lengthy damp winters and the humidity and are searching for a happy medium. We really want to be within two hours maximum of the coast and have considered the Charante Maritime (too flat), the Medoc (a bit weird), PO (cold winters inland) and the Var (too expensive).
The area between Beziers and the Montagne Noire is a remote possibility but we are increasingly leaning towards Lot et Garonne.
This area may well be worth your considering.

1 Like

Thanks for that - and can’t imagine summer climate is going to get cooler.

And good luck with your search !

Cheers!

Likewise yours.