Moving house!

Best berries ever. Very long daylight hours and not too much heat. Incredible flavours. And as for Gin - it’s everywhere. Catching up to whisky in varieties and amount distilled. Some good stuff too. 100 years ago Scottish gin was called mothers ruin. Better now!

I think my very favourite spirituous drink must be the genièvre de grains de Houlle Houlle_Carte_Noire|220x356 also known as Dutch Gin, and seemingly unknown in most parts of France outside the Pas de Calais, Belgium and the Netherlands.

It is absolutely scrumptious and is usually served straight from the freezer.

Every gin-lover should sample it - divine!

1 Like

If this response was directed my way - your question might have been rhetorical, but increased tariffs are not going to be rhetorical for British Corner Shop - they could well wipe the business out.

Hi Bettina - l don’t know where you are located in France but, in general, there is no shortage of strawberries and raspberries of the highest quality - We have a producer - Rougeline - in Marmande and a Strawberry Festival in the Spring.

As for Gin our local supermarket - Leclerc has a wide variety of Gin on offer with, surprisingly, quite a few French gins which we are currently working our way through to see if can find one that beats Hendricks or Bulldog, also available on their shelves.

They wouldn’t have lasted 20+ years …but might have saved time and dosh for a few years. ,Praps its just me…

MATCHES…I have never found a box of French matches to be better than Very Feeble. Often fly into flaming fragments, and stick to your T-shirt.

Second item.
Why didn’t I bring a few chunky, never fall apart in the hand, Brit can openers? I know, cans have ring pulls now, but not all…

3).
Tate and Lyle’s golden syrup. And.
Black Treacle. Yes buy online, but delivery charge…big.

Hyper U sells golden syrup and health food/organic/bio type shops sell treacle, mélasse noir, for a couple of euros.

1 Like

Hyper-Us, if they have rayons anglais, I suppose. I’m too far away from any Jumbo Hyper-Us. Maybe next time I borrow a car. I can see some do, I checked google, thank you!

Hi Dan, we will be near Angouleme. Not worried about quality of produce available in France. Tried every roadside stall and farmers market & markets while house hunting.
As to alcoholic beverages - I have stocked up on the more exotic whiskys and gins available in Scotland but look forward to sample the French varieties…
One of the main reasons we choose France for our escape from Brexit was the amazing food and drink available.

1 Like