Moving to France Do's & Don'ts

Learn the language, ok speak English at home but at least an hour every day listen to French TV tele Matin on France2 is quite good they speak reasonably slowly. No time in the morning ? it's on pluzz.fr. One of my pet hates' (still after 20 odd years here is : Say something in English) Listening to French as background noise gets your ear used to the sounds. Ok I know you want to watch the latest episodes of Corrie or Dr Who but an hour a day isn't that much surely ?

All this sounds very familiar but I also have some tips for people to consider before they even make the move, available here: http://eamonohara.com/2014/08/25/my-top-5-tips-on-moving-to-france/

PS: I to do support Pompiers , as my very worst experience in France, was having a little home I owned near Cahors burned to ground by a French nationalist, who a couple of years ago had a field day in the area setting fire/destroying 4/5 other homes? The Pompiers were amazing........

Twenty years ago, my first French home, quite secluded..... so was taken aback to see two women ..very smartly dressed, carrying a large sack each, walking up my drive. We greeted them with pleasantries, they them immediately pulled out fire extinguishers from the sacks they were carrying and proceeded to explain that we must have these fire extinguishers installed in our property at a cost of (200 then FF) It was obligatory and they had been sent by government? Of course that was not true, they were in fact just working for a local business. We having lived in London/NY/and LA are always ready for a scam, so asked for identification from Mairie, which of course they couldn't supply . Anyway, sent them packing, and called the company they worked for to complain.....their boss was "mortified" at his workers actions and arrived at our home with freebies? Apart from that I had my neighbours ( we are now in a village) brother knock on my door, and tell me that he owns the courtyards surrounding the house?? Bizarre, but when we laughed him off, he went away graciously?? Again his family ran round to apologise...........You just have to not be to eager to fit in, and think would that happen in UK or anywhere for that matter?? JUST SAY NO!!!

Frankly, I am astonished at the number of folk who don't commission a survey of any house they're interested in buying before they sign a contract. Brits see 'the survey' as something imposed on them by their mortgage lender - there's a reason for that - the lender wants to see if the property is a fair security. Too many place their own hard-won cash into a major asset without understanding what they're taking on.

Yes I have a professional interest in helping English-speakers make an informed purchase decision (in Brittany, but have damp meter, can travel!) - be aware that the 'diagnostics' only go so far....

Are there any other GP Chartered Surveyors working in Brittany - if so please get in touch!

"2. Beware the door to door salesman, charities, religious folk and chimney sweeps."

by "religious folk" do you mean JWs ?

Just bear in mind that any company claiming that it is a 'sub-company' (or whatever they call themselves) of a company in any other country does not mean it does not need to re-register here. Today I had a cookie that was from a 'French' company offering finance that would normally have been trashed forthwith. However I looked closer and the company's real address is in Switzerland and when I web searched it showed up as a minor associate of the real company at the Swiss address and not a major company at all. They operate worldwide, have immense language skills and make a lot of money from people who think they look good. Having a headquarters outside of France should ring alarm bells, although that can still be wrong, so following Suzanne's advice number 4 check for at least reassurance.

If you are not sure, do not be afraid to ask.
Perhaps a neighbour or the Mairie.
You will make new connections and perhaps avoid future problems.

Another example is the pleasant looking man who arrives and says 'feraille' which is scrap metal. A French neighbour allowed one in to his barn to help move scrap, the man sniffed about a bit looking for other bits and pieces. A few days later the family were out, somebody else saw the ferailleur there and thought it must be a lot of scrap because he had a trailer. Later, the neighbour went out to his barn because he had heard about it and was convinced all his metal was already gone, so was checking. Lo and behold, his recently purchase Kubota mini-tractor was not there. Nor was the earth moving bucket, mower attachment and other accessories. Looking further he found that his two expensive Stihl strimmers were gone, so too his chainsaws. He rushed into his workshop and all of his tools were gone. Even gardening tools such as forks and spades were gone. All that was left was a tatty old lawnmower that nobody used any longer and should, ironically, have gone with the scrap.

At the gendarmerie he was told that numerous people had fallen prey to this character and that they were still looking for him.

The message is, do not let people in places where they can see whether or not things are locked away, make some kind of mental inventory then pay you a visit when they know nobody is at home.

Also should add that where specific work is required which is outside the normal constraints on Page 2, the tradesperson can ask their insurer to give a specific attestation for the chantier (worksite) which is what we have done for our window opening as it is 4m wide and this is bigger than the normal size of opening covered by their insurance.

Thanks Tracy, I have a rule, decennale with devis...no decennale then no bon pour accord...

For those who would like to know what a decennale looks like here it is:-![](upload://i3usBfduwHjrevuIcoAMge4hIaP.jpg)![](upload://uyjHYVc2Iubsjw0EFv1ZVqX60LK.jpg)

Page 2 specifically lists what work he is insured to carry out.

Also note that as a carpenter (joiner) he is specifically excluded from working on roofs. He is qualified to but chooses not to as it is too expensive for the insurance.

Hope that helps someone, it is depressing to hear so many tales of woe that could have been avoided. Also, if a cowboy starts your work then disappears or does it badly, very few tradesmen will pick up the pieces without restarting the job entirely as it is then their insurance that has to carry the guarantee.