Moving to France from the US and looking for some guidance

Dont think your reply should have been directed @Susannah

1 Like

@ExpatinColomiers i will check out toulouse! it was kind of in the back of my mind but didn’t consider it too seriously because i wanted to be closer to the ocean but with the heat this sounds like a really great option.

excellent i will look them up

this is all soooo helpful thank you kindly

hi! thank you so much. vero is the name of my hometown in florida.

i don’t have much unfortunately. i have my GED and i’m certified to teach yoga. i’ve served and bartended my whole life.

i haven’t but i’m looking into a tutor. i can do a test online to see where at score at if that will help?

ahhhhhhhhh thank you!! i was told on another forum that this wasn’t the case and i needed at least a year at uni so i’m very very relieved to hear this

ah my apologies

fuckin hell, so tru

ok i will look these up!

no need to apologize, i greatly appreciate the pragmatic perspective it’s so incredibly helpful!!

1 Like

hey! great question. it’s kind of a long story but, primarily intuition. not because i saw a movie or have some preconceived notion as to what france will be like but because i’m drawn to it. intially it started out as the desire to leave the states and move to europe but i figured that france would make the most sense since i’m learning the language.

when i was 18 i knew i wanted to leave florida and move to oregon. i had never been there and knew nothing about it other than the fact that i knew that’s where i wanted to be and i’ve been here ever since.

Seems like a basic test of sanity, if you don’t know by 18 you need to leave Florida, then you clearly deserve to be in Florida :sweat_smile::laughing:

5 Likes

this is very helpful thank you. i’ve read about this and also about how getting a bank account can be a similar chicken-and-egg situation. i really appreciate your encouragement :smiley:

1 Like

Do you come from Vero Beach? A friend of mine lives and has a business there now :slightly_smiling_face: small world.

That may unfortunately restrict your options quite a bit.

i think you’re on the right track. i have a website i’ve been using to compare climates and it never reflected (or i just didn’t notice) how hot montpellier is in the summer. i’ve added it to my weather app and see that for the next week it’s at a steady high of 35 degrees celsius and there’s no way i can put him through that. he’s a mix with kleekai and keeshond so his threshold for heat is higher than a purebred but he is still sensitive to the heat. mind you, while i’m typing this he’s at my feet basking in the sun lol.

1 Like

yes this is why i’m on this forum, to fill in the gaps of what i don’t know so i can move forward with a better understanding. there are many many things i’m not aware of at this point.

i have not but i will look into this, thank you

as of right now my goal is to move somewhere that i can rely on public transportation so i don’t have to get a car.

i eat meat, just not red meat or pork. also like i said, open to play around with this once im out of the states.

what is co location? shared housing?

Good, Rule #2 (I think):thinking:

1 Like

As an aside, there are a number of us who are vegetarian, or with vegetarian spouses etc on the forum and I found that a very dramatic statement. France isn’t a vegetarian country no, but then Texas isn’t a vegetarian state but I eat very well when I’m there lol, if you wanted to be meat free, dairy free, gluten free, whatever, you’d have no real problems in France, it’s just a decade behind the UK and US so it takes more thought and creativity in cooking and finding the good places out to eat. But it’s enjoyable not just shoving a Quorn or beyond meat burger on the grill like you’d do elsewhere and having to come up with things yourself. Although I have seen beyond meat burgers becoming ubiquitous here so maybe France isn’t so far behind :laughing:

In terms of banks Revolut might be an easy answer, get a US account, move, then port it to a French account with a french IBAN. Not that this is particularly relevant since it’s not exactly an imminent move, but maybe something to jot down as a potential solution if getting an account with one of the main french banks could be an issue.

1 Like

If you want to avoid extreme heat then I think you need to be much further north. I used to live in Albi, which is north of Toulouse, not by much admittedly, but very hot in the summer. Whatever you choose, good luck.

Arrrrghhhhh. That’s just restarted my long dormant NDS CA testing earworm :confounded:. It’ll take me weeks to recover. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you’re lucky.

I must be lucky then …sorry😂

As to the need for less heat, but a town large enough to have a university and public transport, combined with proximity to the ocean (as opposed to a sea :wink:) what about Nantes (does it have a uni?)? A fairly good compromise between the baking south and the chilly north.

However, even the UK, much further north than most of France, has extreme high temperatures these days so perhaps you need to go up (as in altitude) rather than up (as in North) to find your perfect spot. :thinking:

I would recommend my old region and especially around Brest which was my nearest large city and got to know very well with two children who both went through UBO (Universite de Bretagne Occidentale) and lived there for some years. It has a tram system covering the city and outskirts, plenty of everything you could need, the people are very friendly and the sea is right there in the middle and there are beaches nearby plus Océanopolis which is so interesting. The ILFREMER research centre that sent the equipment for the ill fated Titan voyage is in Brest too so lots of maritime stuff going on plus a good train service to Paris (3.5hrs now on TGV, used to be 6), an airport with a shuttle service into the city centre andthe rents were never too high either. Weather is cooler, can get a bit humid in summer but plenty of breezes coming off the Rade and Atlantic. Plenty of shops with big names and also close to countryside. Brest is also the sous-prefecture to the main one at Quimper and used to dealing with paperwork, so handy for your stuff and plenty of banks and insurance companies. You don’t need a car living there.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head @Shiba with that. I would fancy Brittany but I do like the (comparative) heat. Which is why I don’t re-locate to the wild wests of Wales, Scotland or Ireland, :grinning:

you got it. try searching appartager.com, cohebergement.com, leboncoin.fr for starters. As others confirm and I repeat just the summer heat should make you reconsider your adventerous plan. Here in Lot-et-Garonne 47 its not unusual now for us to have temperatures of 37/40c ! and very hot, humid uncomfotable nights. Mind you I felt very uncomfortable in Miami with such high humidity which we dont really experience to that degree.
Have you thought of Portuga (Porto ?)l which might be more your “cup of tea” for weather, cost of living and easier way of life ?

Yes it suited us perfectly and the winters were never cold and certainly no snow worth a mention when a few flurries arrived every few years and where I lived, no frost either due to the coast on the doorstep. There seems to be plenty of work too especially in the resto and retail sections.

We’re over 2000 ft and was in the late 30’s last year. The big difference is that it cools down at night so you can cool house and sleep. And we put up with heat as we have 4 proper seasons rather than spring)ish, summer, autumn and grey.