Moving to France (from US)

Not so bad for classical ones and relief, agriculture, hydrography do not change that much.

LOL Yes We Americans say “stick shift”. Happily, I learned to drive “manual” years ago. It is actually more fun!

3 Likes

Hi Guys, Portlander here too!! Awesome. Let’s connect!

1 Like

The responses have been so helpful! Everyone has given all sorts of great advice, which is very much appreciated!

That would be nice to chat about our upcoming moves!

1 Like

Hi KvK! Nice to meet you. I would love to connect. It would be great to have a few friends when we get there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure thing. Will be in the Limoges area. When are you aiming to move?

LOL Hurrah Portland!!! We should start a group!

Hi Lizzy,
Yes, I agree!
I just met with a woman who has bought a house in the Languedoc region. She also lives in Portland. Would you be interested in meeting for coffee sometime with us?
Lori

1 Like

Totally! Am at the start of all my purchasing house paperwork. I was told it can take about 2-3 months? Will be in Bellac. Hurrah, PDX Roses!

1 Like

Congratulations KvK! Bellac and that region seem beautiful. Would be curious to learn how you ended up there. We just rented a little village house near Olonzac for at least 6 months, planning a permanent move in the next year or two.
How shall we arrange getting together?

1 Like

Looks like out Get Together may be for early summer due to “waiting”. Fell in love with the city of Limoges when I was looking around last year. (Listed as second best city in France to live!) and the town of Bellac is only 30 km away. Easy access to airport, train, city life, village life and quality of life.

My little house will need some updates, of course, but will be great once I get to settle in.

Yep, makes me so sad to see what has become of PDX. Used to be safe and beautiful…

Colorado USA here. Planning to move to France next year with wife and two children - not sure where yet!

1 Like

I’m in Portland until the end of May, and then in a small village in the Languedoc for 6 months while we search around. Would love to explore the Limoges area! It’s an area I don’t know at all but it looks very nice as well!
Lori

1 Like

Some friends from the UK were house-sitting in Bellac last year so we popped over from Bordeaux to catch up with them on our way to visiting family in Limoges. It looks a very quaint little town. I’m sure the locals will welcome you warmly once you’ve arrived.

1 Like

I’ve also been eyeballing the Limoges area, looking for best bang for the buck while still being nearby all amenities. Some other places I’ve been looking around in: Poitou-Charentes, Auvergne, Bretagne, Alsace, Pyrenees.

We love seafood and feel like if we’re near the water there will always be something to do. However, the countryside has its own charm as well… and so do the mountains. It’s very difficult to narrow down an area to settle in France - there’s so much variety and it makes you want to experience all of it haha!

1 Like

If it’s any reassurance, Limoges is still well-served for seafood despite being inland. We have family there, and when we visit at Xmas we always have fruit-de-mer for dinner on Christmas Eve.

We live very near the coast so are spoilt for choice, but the quality in the “grandes surfaces” supermarkets in Limoges is still very good. The range isn’t quite as good obviously but for the most common stuff it’s fine, and the price generally comparable.

1 Like

I like the Limoges area for easy access to all other areas! In the center of France. And the food is some of the best in France. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just before the world had heard Covid, we went to this restaurant in Limoges for a birthday… I can highly recommend it :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

How long has the restaurant been there??? I seem to recognize the area but from years ago and possibly not as a restaurant…
Anyway, it all looks wonderful, making my mouth water… definitely worth a trip to Limoges when and if…

2 Likes