Need Up to date Info on Mutuelles

Hmmm, personally I would think the effort not worth it for occasional income. And of course an income of X wouldn’t actually be an income of X as there are costs involved - heating, water, cleaning, washing and ironing sheets, food, cooking, etc. So your 50€ a night is more like 40€ if you keep below income threshold. And 25€ if you don’t and have to pay tax and social charges.

If the OP is really struggling to pay for a small investigation, then quite possibly she is in the CMU-C category and should put the effort in to seeing about that as then everything will be free.

Although on reflection, I suppose it depends how long the OP has been here or they might face the conundrum of proving a sufficiently high income for a CdS and a sufficiently low income for CMU-C, need to be careful right now.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a practical way of looking at it. People are different in what they feel they can take on -

yes we are also with Soficas pay fr the British Health Ways 2 cover, but a bit less than that.

My husband is 83 and covered for most things via ALD - and myself at 72 do not at present require any medication apart from thyroxine which is minumal cost so this year I have decided to go with hospital cover to see if it saves me money. I have paid way too much to top up policies etc in the past. As I said its just to see if it saves money as the older you get the more you pay. This year we are covered for hospital cover which costs us 65 euros a month. My husbands meds are covered 100 percent. We will see how it goes, besides which should anything happen that is going to cost we can always upgrade as topups/mutuelles are based on age not health.

@maggib That’s exactly what we’ve done. Fingers crossed that we save money and don’t have unforeseen health issues!

Yep my plan too! With mine it appears you can upgrade with immediate effect if needs be. The trick of course is that having upgraded you can’t then re-downgrade once they’ve paid for that particular treatment, but I’m OK with that, seems fair to me.
I guess it will happen sooner or later, but the later the better.

With ours I think you can downgrade the following year, so if we do need expensive medical services then I hope it’s in December, or maybe November so as not to ruin christmas…

We didn’t have a mutuelle at all for years, and then succumbed to the hype/fear factor/peer pressure and got one 2 years ago. But looking at cost benefit it just seems daft, so I hope we won’t regret the decision.

As an S1 pensioner you can ,currently, get free treatment if you go back to the UK temporarily. I got my hearing aids this way.

For most Brits the health service in France is a nightmare but when you really look there is a lot of financial help .
Look on AMELI.FR the french health service site , if you are on a low income you can get help…AIDE COMPLEMENTAIRE SANTE which has now become AIDE COMPLEMENTAIRE SANTE SOLIDAIRE for 1 person well under 1,000e per month check actual figures can do an check on line , easy to do check before going private ,

1 Like

I need to have a colonoscopy and I am terrified!
Anybody know what I can expect, please?

It’s no problem - Comment se déroule une coloscopie ?

1 Like

My sister and I both had colonoscopies around same time in UK and France.

She arrived, changed in cubicle, sat in waiting room, had no sedation, and was sent home about 45 minutes later on the bus (well she took a taxi). P I was popped into a bed in hospital room, wheeled calmly to theatre, thoroughly sedated, and then left to recover for a few hours before OH came to get me.

The worst bit about the colonoscopy is the prep. Take it seriously and don’t skimp on drinking the vile stuff as if your bowel is not sufficiently cleaned out you will either be sent away or have the humiliation of your hospital record giving you a low score for hygiene! Put bottles of cold water in fridge as much more palatable when cold. A pack of baby wipes can be very useful as you might get sore bum as all quite explosive.

But it is fine, so really don’t worry.

3 Likes

Thanks to you both. Feel a little less anxious, just be happy when it’s over. :hugs::hugs:

Is it over now?

Yes,thank goodness :pray:
As usual a lot of unnecessary anxiety on myself.