Neighbours trees blocking our light

So they are the correct distance from the boundary?

Yes I've already read this. But distance is not the problem, its blocking the light that I am concerned about.

Good, clear instructions there Hilary. Unfortunately, leaves a lot of scope for abuse though doesn't it. I wonder how actionable it actually is? Will be following this one with interest.

I can only share my experience with my neighbour - we had ivy and trees on 'their' side of our barn which I was keen to cut down and away from the wall (and roof!).

Our French struggles with our slightly dotty neighbour, and so when the roofer arrived I had a chat with him about the custom of going about it - he was Belgian, and fluent.

Seems she was very excited as 'our' ivy had grown away from our wall and encompassed her well. The house had stood empty for fifteen years - whilst she had watched it - and she was ecstatic that we were going to address the problem finally.

I was amazed, but as it was growing at the base of 'our' wall, she considered it 'our' vegetation, and wouldn't cut it - they were hugely supportive whilst we did the work, providing a JCB with a bucket fitted to load it all onto, and driving the stuff back around into our property to the fire to burn - it took us all day.

I now fear that the overgrown trees and hedges on that side are also 'ours' and she is awaiting us undertaking some work there - certainly it is that hedge which keeps her farmhouse in darkness as it is the South boundary (the barn is the East boundary, our property goes along the bottom as well.

I almost daren't ask her, but will be watching this with interest. I'm so keen not to offend them sometimes I find myself doing the wrong thing by accident.

The civil code is quite clear on the minimum distances of trees from property boundaries, in relation to their height, if this is the issue.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F614

This explains it quite well (in French) with diagrams.

http://www.ville-crolles.fr/urbanisme/distances.php

Hi Hilary,

Any chance you could explain me the process a bit more in detail as to what is required as I have exact this problem with my neighbor

Is it something you do for a living ?

Looking forward to hear from you

Best regards
Klaus Sorensen

Hello Klaus and welcome to the forum.

Please can you amend your Registration. I think you have got your Info back to front …

I am presuming your Full Name is Klaus Sorensen
and Klaus should be your Username ??

I can amend your Registration , if you wish… or you can do it yourself.

cheers

Just come across this thread.
I have the opposite problem - a neighbour whose ambition is to"pave paradise and put up a parking lot."
Apart from not wanting a view over his property, I like trees. They are decorative, good for the environment, beneficial for wildlife and provide protection from damaging winds.
Shortly after he cut down the trees between our properties, we lost tiles off our roof and my flimsy greenhouse was wrecked.
So I would like to create some kind of shelter belt. Am I right in inferring from previous posts, that I can plant trees 2 metres from the boundary, leaving a “no man’s land” between the base of the trees and the fence, even if the branches extend to the boundary? Do I have to make an allowance for the growth of the trees, since the increase in circumference of the trunk as they grow will have the effect of reducing the distance from the boundary?
The neighbour claims that the trees were liable to damage his telephone wire, but driving around the lanes, I see many situations where telephone wires pass through tree branches and have been told that if this becomes a problem, Telecom will deal with it.

Before you spend a lot of money, do find out what your rights are.
I seem to remember a similar discussion where the conclusion was that there is no actual text that gives anybody the right to light. And legal action is basically about rights.

Hi Anna,

The law is quite clear as per this from the French Government

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F614

So I’ll think I take my chances

@Klaus

Hi Klaus… Can I amend your Registration please ???

Sure, no worries at all

1 Like