New build house - orientation

I think the air quality outside is worse than inside our house.

Not so long back the whole region was red for air quality for about a week or two. It was awful……and you could actually taste the pollution.

I think today we are yellow.

So yeah….I’m not that worried about the smell of a log burning.

Cause?

I dunno….China ? India ?

People buying pellet burners, electric cars or just general crâp from China or India ?

The Amazon rain forest being chopped down ?

Take your pick.

This is quite fun to peruse

I note that France today is quite good, air pollution wise, except for Chedde in the Haute Savoie. My guess is there are a lot of log burners.

2 Likes

I have just read that China pumps out more pollution in 8 years than the uk since the industrialized revoloution.

Given that humanity will be extinct in the next 50 years buying an electric car is not going save our fate. Humanity is dead in the water……and if you live near a coastline….a lot quicker.

Almost every electrical item in the house is processor controlled and reliability is generally very high these days. Electronic control enables ignition by time setting or remotely. I don’t see a woodburner as a comparable item unless you are happy to light a fire first thing in the morning and wait for the woodburner to heat the room/house. In a house inhabited in the winter months I see a woodburner as a comfort giving focal point for a room just like your sealed fireplace. I do see advantages of a pompe-chaleur - more stable energy price, presumably more distributed heat but unsure at this point how many heat sources there would be inside the house.

Not sure what Chinese pollution has to do with the orientation of my new house or electric cars for that matter. I think there are existing threads.

I want a heat source that does not rely on electricity or electronics.

If either one goes down….you get cold.

My gas boiler runs on electricity. So that won’t work either.

So yeah…im sorted with my fireplace. And it heats the house not 2 sq metres.

You need to get your plumbing checked!

3 Likes

The gas boiler plugs in to run the electronics.

Good point :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I bought a couple of these last winter, one large one for downstairs and a smaller one for upstairs. I was looking at a Dyson air purerfier but the Which Magazine rated these far better than the Dysons, and the two I bought were together half the pricesof Mr. Brexit Dyson’s device.

I’lll shut up now Michael :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Talking of Dyson… Have you seen this…?

https://www.dyson.com/headphones/zone/ultra-blue-prussian-blue

Almost a thousand dollars… c’est du n’importe quoi!

We’ve got a very good Philips air purifier. Wouldn’t put a sous in Dyson’s pocket.

1 Like

Going back to orientation of house :grinning:

My house has open views to the South and East, and close by low level hills/large mounds to the North and West. This works very well in the Summer, as it means that although exposed to the sun during the day, towards the end of the day the house is in shadow, for which I am extremely grateful, as it does mean that my main bedroom, which is in the North West corner of the house, remains relatively cool and therefore don’t need to use the cooling except on very exceptional days. And at the height of Summer I do tend to open the South facing shutters later in the day to minimize heat gain, even though the windows are all double glazed.

As for Winter, I do benefit from the open views on the South and East which does help to bolster the house temperature. A few months ago I watched a documentary on youtube about a guy that built a house in the pyrenees which, amongst other things, used very very little heating as he had insulated it so incredible well and had a very large South facing triple glazed wall. Fascinating and very interesting to see how creative some folks are, building somewhat unconventional homes that appear to perform far better than what is constructed in the mainstream. I wonder why many of the techniques and designs are not adopted on a more widespread common basis??? Intrigues me………

2 Likes

Because builders are really slow at adopting to new practices and often there is a lot of sloppy work done that is often hidden so not great when insulation and air tigjtness need to be done properly. There are HVAC companies that can install geatventilation systems provided their input is at the design stage as trying to retro fit ventilation pipe/ducts is very difficult. Fortunately there is change going on but needs to be more widespread.

1 Like

Talking UK corona because RT2020 makes all new builds in France BEPOS.

?
Yes I am talking UK but builders are not that different but fortunately times are changing which is the positive. Quite high stds for new builds in the UK to which are increasing but how well some of that work is carried out? Whistle blowing is a career ending scenario so many just shut up. Big building Co’s in the UK can self certify their work, thats a situation that needs serious overhall immediately.

Yes, I came across them somewhere. A review in a paper probably.

BEPOS
Batiments a energie positve