New build house - orientation

I never seem to find time to give it a go, seen some wonderful drawings done, my colleague used to do all the design layouts but I really do want to get to grips with it for some internal room modifications. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you JoCo, that was an interesting read. I was taken by the Swedish design back in 85 when I was there working.

One further thought about pre-heating / cooling air if you have enough land and are constructing a new home… its worth considering what is called the ‘puit canadien’ (canadian well). An engineering colleague has been doing a part time PhD measuring just how effective these are, in Canada. French references include a useful diagram in Le Monde, Qu’est-ce qu’un puits canadien : avantages et inconvénients ? (lemonde.fr) They sell kits to install these in Canada. Canadian Well (lacentrale-eco.com) In my colleagues research he had concrete pipes large enough to crawl through laid in a circuit around the outside of the foundations of a new building. The crawl space allowed him to install and check sensors at regular intervals. He is obtaining data on optimal length and air change. It also allows the “shaft” to be kept clean. Most installations though use much smaller diameter pipe, if air and not water, and then use filters and mesh to ensure the pipes remain clean.

This is something I was looking into, Charlie Luxton used it on his build. Quite a few greenhouses (plant growers) utilising similar to stabilise heating and cooling reducing costs

3 Likes

I went to primary and secondary school with Charlie - my wife knew his family very well and used to go on family holiday with them. I crashed my car outside his house and sought sanctuary!

2 Likes

An interesting article on a solar house designed by a team of women, good on you!

I like the look of that Ventiflex system.

Makes sense but I didnt get any response from the company, may try a second time.

1 Like