New job..... should it be so full of surprises?

Hi Zoe, I feel for you, it sounds like an awful situation.

I used to work in a professional kitchen (for about 15 years) and I agree, i would never be able to accept some of the hygiene issues you mentioned (I am still cringing about the cloth used to wipe the dogs' bowls!) I don't think you should have to accept it, either, not least because if there is ever a food poisoning outbreak, it could well be blamed on you as having the responsiblity - even if in practice you can't exercise it.

I think Jane has hit the nail on the head - they can't deal with her as it's family, so they've copped out by shifting the problem onto you. I also think if you don't take a stand now, it'll only get harder and harder to do so. I'd suggest fighting the easiest battles to win - the hygiene ones re dogs and bins - you can truthfully state it's a hygiene risk and that you can't professionally accept it. Throw ANSES into the conversation (www.anses.fr). I'd also recommend documenting and/or making notes on every conversation relating to health and hygiene, as a back-up and again to protect yourself.

Realistically, if they won't change, how much do you want/need the job? I'm just thinking that for someone with your skills and knowledge of the food/accommodation industry, the start of the summer season is such a good time for finding another job -even if it's a bit of a stop-gap to tide you over for the summer while you look around for the next challenge.

That's my thoughts anyway - let us know what you decide and how you get on!

All the best, Diane

Zoe, I am so sorry, it just sounds as though you have the job from hell!

It reminds of the tv series where Ruth Watson took on old country properties to stop them from falling down and, you've guessed it, the real problem was Granny or Grandad!

Of course, Granny will be trying to see if she can make you leave and again you can only speak to the directors and ask them why they wanted you in the first place.

They took you on because they thought that you would be able to do the impossible because you are not family, but if you have no real say, you are on a hiding to nothing.

Keep plugging away at the family is the only way I can see tto making things improve.

Do they not care about the bottom line?