New nightmare issue with driving license exchange

You say A, is column 10 the same date for A as is for B, if yes, then you will need evidence of when you passed your bike test. If they have different dates then you will at least receive A.

It really isn’t a punishment, we in France have a much better deal than many other EU countries have offered.

1 Like

Hello @Badger I should have clarified this within my comment above so will do as well as here.

Anyone who passed a separate driving test for any of the following categories, these WILL be exchanged, C/CE/C1/C1E or D/DE/D1/D1E.

Currently anyone who was gifted their C1/C1E or D1/D1E pre 01/1997 these are under review and may or may not be transferred at a later date.

2 Likes

Seems unfair as we all wanted to exchange our licences for French ones pre-final Brexit as we are living here, regardless of our age, but we were not allowed to do this. We were perfectly willing to change at a time that would have protected our entitlements as they were at that time and we were pushed back. This is not fair, people should not be disadvantaged because they were refused when they tried to do it (and were, actually, entitled to it).

I absolutely hate that I’m being made to wait to 70. And private camping vehicles being over 3.5t is a frequent occurrence.

Thanks @kim. That’s what I would have assumed (dangerous, I know…), but it’s nice to have clarification within this thread.

2 Likes

As long as we’re clear that the punishment was from the British government and 52% of the people who voted in that particular referendum I don’t see that it’s unreasonable at all to feel you’re being punished.

There were many ways that people could have exchanged their licences pre Brexit if they didn’t meet the criteria at that time and many that should have exchanged their licences well before Brexit who have now got caught out.

You say wait until you are 70, what do you have photocard as it’s the 4b date on the front that is important. If you have one of the original green or pink paper licences, you can exchange this now as France would much prefer you have a photocard, all you need to do is ensure your paper licence is a bit tatty.

2 Likes

Unfortunately even back then your lady at the Prefecture was wrong. As a holder of a non French licence it should always be valid, both photo and licence.

For info about UK photocards that were issued with the paper counterpart, the counterpart is no longer legal and was discontinued in 2015 and the advice from the DVLA was to destroy it. This however is not to be confused with the original pink or green paper licence, these are still legal.

I did argue, but she got shirty…
A while later I had another go.
I saw a different lady… also it was in a completely different part of the Prefecture… I remember the queues of folk all lining the staircase. gav e her my old green paperwork and the plastic card… plus whatever docs…

This time things went smoothly and she even gave me some paperwork in English for any other Brits I knew…
My pink licence arrived swiftly… and then a few weeks later the world turned… and plastic cards came in …so my pals who used the “fool’s guide” got the modern look.

Me, I’ve still got my pink licence… by the time I have to change it I might be too dodgy to drive… :rofl: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Have had no problem at all with my C (LGV no trailer) just medicals as in the UK

That will be because you passed a separate test for C which makes it exchangeable.

Thanks for all the invaluable information Kim. I still find the timing suspicious, did M. Gerald Darmanin profer any explanation as to why the change had taken place. By my calculation you have to be around 59 plus to have benefited from the grandad license. Logic dectates, and the ‘grim reaper’ that the issue would eventually peter out, without any assistance.

Oh Kim I so wish this were the case! Sadly your suggestions will help others - thank you! Unfortunately I was bang up to date with a plastic UK card - and moved ahead of Brexit, but at a time when we were all being told to wait and be told the procedures.

Thank you very much for coming on here when needed Kim - you are helping so many people.

2 Likes

Ummm… If you passed your UK test at 17 in 1996 (the last year to have obtained a C1/D1 without a specific test) you would now be 43.

1 Like

Thank you Badger, Got my 97 and 79 the wrong way round. It’s all the stress of setting fire to my camper. And I had just totted up the cost of a C1 test here, between 1500 and 2500 euros x 2 . Bring on the ‘grim reaper’.

Happy to help @KarenLot as long as someone tags me, like @Stella did, as I don’t check in very often.

3 Likes

Yes I have retained all ( C1,C1E, D1 and D1E) and I am in the process ( not been successful yet) of adding category D (bus) which I passed a test for in 1998 but it was removed from my uk license because I didn’t return to do the medical.