New Owners of French Property & Ex- Owners Too

When it it’s big stuff then it’s not a option for me

Same system here, something to do with the fibre broadband rollout and some smart Alec requiring all roads to be named and all houses numbered.

Number is the distance in metres from the last road junction on the same side of the road as the property which is why a neighbour’s place across the road might have a wildly different number.

We have one number for the house and one for each gite…

I was persuaded when our mayor pointed out that it made the lives of the rescue services easier too. I must say it’s nice to know that (if ever we need it) an ambulance driver at 2 in the morning won’t be faffing around trying to find which house of several with the same lieu-dit name is ours. :grin:

1 Like

that is the reason which we have been given here, too.

As we are prone to wildfires and all sorts of domestic happenings… it will be brilliant when we no longer have to arrange folk at crossroads etc… to direct the Emergency Services…this way and that… :relaxed: :relaxed: time is of the essence especially when lives are at stake…

I am amazed they are not using What Three Words. I thought a lot of the emergency services were doing precisely that now.

3 Likes

If we get the new numbering it will still cause confusion because there are two parts of our hamlet, Aux Tetes, both reached by the D17, but about a kilometre apart.

Jane… the guidelines for producing these new addresses are quite clear… or so it seems at first glance… then the complexities arise.

Locally, it has been decided to pay a company to do the major work… but they will be charged to take on board the outcome of a Public Meeting at which everyone can have their say and add their ideas… :upside_down_face: :relaxed:

Oh my Gawd - a bloody Committee!!! Another ten years will pass before anything like a decision or even a consensus will appear!
Nobody asked us four ‘our opinion’ thank heavens!
Re confusion my distinct understanding is this is directed towards GPS systems, but also useful for people walking down the street? Can’t possibly be more confusing than our present address, which nobody can work out. Even on Google Earth there is a name larger than the village name which only appears once on a local electricity Box outside my door at the bottom of an Impasse!

1 Like

We use it, thought it would help gite clients find us too. But have yet to find anyone else who understands or uses it!

Ha ha… agreed things could/would move faster if fewer people were involved.

You may be thrilled at not being consulted… but many folk are up in arms about changes being made without them having any input/say in the matter.

So… councils are damned if they do and damned if they don’t… :upside_down_face: :frowning_face:

Look at that a repeated typo! ‘Four’ as opposed to ‘for’ - C’mon grammar police you are not doing your job!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sweat_smile: :slightly_smiling_face: :relaxed:

Nowadays…I read English much like I read French… let it flow and get the general gist…

thus typos… don’t matter unless it absolutely affects the true meaning of what is being said…

and the grammar police have hopefully got the same idea… :sweat_smile: :grin: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What is “What three words”?

1 Like

It is a way of identifying every square metre on the planet, imagine it crisscrossed with lines mapping it into squares, with three random words assigned per m2 which give a unique identity to each square. If you google it you will find that you are sitting in eg ‘crossbow sandwich purple’. (Out of curiosity I looked to see where that is and it is in South Australia quite a way due north of Adelaide).

1 Like

It’s 3 x 3 m blocks, so 9m2. We use it to help people find our gites, but don’t think many French are aware of it yet.

2 Likes

What Three Words is brilliant

3 Likes

Ah. Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course - 1m2 would be stupidly small wouldn’t it :grin: I’m an idiot.

1 Like

I don’t think it would be stupidly small but probably not necessary for the app’s purposes; if you can home in on an arbitrary 3x3m square you should be able to find what you are interested in without needing to specify it down to just 1m x 1m and it would make choosing words harder.

The earth’s surface area is 510,072,000,000,000m2 so you need 56,746,666,666,667 unique identifiers using a 3x3m square - the cube root of that is a bit over 38,000 whereas the cube root of 510,072,000,000,000 is just under 80,000.

It is said that there are over 250,000 words in the English language so even 80,000 could be accommodated but given that the average English speaker has a vocabulary of 20-30,000 words using 40,000 words (also said to be the typical number known by university educated individuals) will mean not too many really obscure ones which will help memorability (though a typical user might not actually need to remember the 3-word combination for long).

There are several problems with What 3 Words - some of which are discussed here.

Oh bugger _ all my ordnance survey maps off to the decheterie then?