New Rules for Mobile Phones whilst driving in UK 25 Mar 2022

I disagree strongly.
Breaks are hugelyimportant.

but here, you are talking about professional drivers who do this day in day out and are well used to the rigours of long distance driving - there’s a huge difference here - chalk and cheese…

1 Like

Only used her in desperation, Rouen has changed a lot since I last drove through it. I wasn’t at all tired apart from when driving on the motorway or dual carriageway.

We used to refer to Sybil the satnav - it gave us someone to shout at when the directions weren’t in good time. In fairness, Google has provided much better directions than ‘proper’ satnav systems I’ve used elsewhere - generally issues are the fault of the operator.

I asked for directions to Caen and at a roundabout with signs for Caen and Alencon she wanted me to go in the direction of Alencon. To be fair maybe she knew something I didn’t!

1 Like

Only repeating the law, but yes, perhaps you have a point. In my 2nd incarnation with the dogs I always adhered to the rules set in law for my previous one as a ‘heavy’ driver. But the type of break is important, no full meals was always my mantra, a sure way of sending you to sleep, and I was always amazed at the full routier parks between midday and 2pm, wondering how do those blokes keep awake in the afternoons.

Rouen has been road works for years. It was sorely needed as the whole thing seemed to be a massive traffic jam. But the last few times through, in past 2 and a half years, traffic was flowing freely. So the years of massive disruption seem to have been worth it.

Always worth avoiding the pinch points that can’t be avoided though - in rush hour - such as the main bridge over the river that heads to the motorway going towards the ferry ports. The strikers know this - twice i’ve arrived at the access to that bridge early in the morning rush hour coming South and entered a short queue because strikers have chosen that place to block the road. Thanking my lucky stars as in the following 2 or 3 hours that queue of Rouen commuters was going to become 25km and not 500m.

The last time I drove through Rouen (before Sunday before last) I drove down a long straight road with railway on one side and businesses the other. I think it was just before 9/11.