New veg patch for two

I used lengths of douglas lame de terrasse that you can get from the bricos. Cut to whatever lengths you need for each side and fixed together on the inside and corners with vertical lengths of 4cm square douglas. Don’t be tempted to use pine as it will rot much quicker and you can’t of course treat them. I then lined them with geotextile bottom and sides as @vero suggested. We’ve had ours for over three years now and they’re still in great condition.
Edit: I got the 6mm pipe, connectors and variable water feed heads from Amazon as they were much cheaper than at the bricos. I got a water timer from Tridôme.

2 Likes

I’m in the process of making some raised beds. I’m using 2 m lengths of Douglas fir, 30 mm thick and 150 mm deep bought direct from a local sawmill. I’ve cut them into 150 and 50 cm pieces, screwed together to make a box. 2 boxes high held together with off cuts, geotex stapled into the bottom and polythene lined sides, capping timber to cover the tops. Mine are only 30 cm deep but I’m not intending to grow root vegetables. I’ll put a picture up later.

6 Likes

Read Rustica…i get it in the post each week for monthly subscription of less than €5… helps with the language

1 Like

I built these a few years ago with oak flooring I took up when renovating the house, yes for no dig, but I do lightly fork some parts of the garden to break up the sub soil to help incorporate humus.

5 Likes

This is my other garden in Dec 21 shows how I apply compost. If you don’t have much compost just put it where it’s needed when planting.

3 Likes

Do you mean true curry leaf plant aka sweet neem? Do you grow it outside?

This is how it looks today, the bare patch on the 2nd photo has been sown with spinach following French beans.

5 Likes

This is the second garden

6 Likes

Oh my! What a wonderful place. Your old stone walls are wonderful. Please may I come and live with you.

3 Likes

Oh my the pics are stunning, well done you for such a labour of love. It looks really beautiful.

Not sure I could deal with all that though as only starting out and just want to feed two of us. However it does give me courage to have a go and get so see some results, even if small

2 Likes

Me first, especially as he lives in Vezeley!

2 Likes

Umm :smiling_face: Young ladies, I think Mr.W will have something to say about it. :rofl:

1 Like

Good have a go, start off with a small patch and I’m sure it’ll get bigger each year.
My 2 gardens give us +/- 90% self sufficiency in vegetables, my aim is to be 100%
I think I’m correct, you’ve just moved over here to France, so you must have plenty of cardboard packing, don’t throw it away, it’s very useful in the garden and for composing.
If you want to plant or sow something for late Autumn / Winter/ Spring cropping it’s not too late.
Here’s what I’d do in your situation…
Find place in the garden away from any trees which has the best exposition to sun light. Rough cut any grass/ weeds etc. but leave it there or compost if you want. Dig a foot square every x the length and take out any roots etc.
Place cardboard over all the ground and weight it down cutting out the squares you’ve dug. Plant / sow ( I’m going by what I’m doing now but you’re further South so maybe get away with more) Chard/ radishes/ spinach/ peas for the shoots to harvest in September/ beginning of October / kohlrabi/ look in your garden shops for Spring cabbage/ broccoli/ also leeks to plant as seedlings. Not too late to sow Winter lettuce.
Also, do another patch with cardboard over another bit of your garden for garlic but don’t dig yet, in the middle of October just trowel a hole and plant your garlic 1 & half times the height depth of the clove.
If you’re wondering why the cardboard, it’s to stop weed growth / ease of gardening and putting carbon in the soil structure.

2 Likes

Having seen it last year, I have to say that Warren’s garden is VERY impressive.

3 Likes

Going to be more productive next year…
This is what I’ve bought with my pocket money to free up space for the potato and carrot crop :grinning:

3 Likes

That’s incredible information. Never thought about all the cardboard for use, was going to the decheterie on Saturday. Will stop OH doing that now! Also didn’t think we could get such fast results to have anything for Sept / October. Our local shops have loads to plant as seedlings. Crikey as if I haven’t got enough to do, I’ve now got another project :grin:

1 Like

What’s the volume of the buckets @Wozza ? Difficult to tell fromthe pics. Would you just put one seed potato in each? Might be an interesting project for next year🙂

1 Like

20 50l and 10 35l
I’m going to plant 4 in the 50l containers a 3 in the 35l containers
https://www.cultureindoor.com/fr-fr/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8symBhAqEiwAaTA__PZ4iz34ParJpRK_wQEAiiHSW6IuXI-ShEBXMaRY1OGBj1otOFwevxoC1XkQAvD_BwE

2 Likes

Thanks for the link @Wozza probably best if I dont grow weed​:wink::rofl:
Could only see the 60 l pots, I’ll keep looking

2 questions @Wozza - where did you get the buckets from and you aren’t really going to grow potatoes indoors are you?