Newbie looking for advice re: potential move to France

Yes do please share what you discover.
My understanding is that as you say the CdS is automatic for the non EU family members of a French person but an EU person needs justification that they are legally resident in order for their family to be given CdS.

Thanks Tory…I know your a kind one…
just me being sensitive perhaps after making such a massive mistake…
im signing out
x

2 Likes

Rob I’m so glad for you! I am also a frontalier, by choice, and I got such a nice little surprise when I saw it on mine.

At least it means you’re perfectly legit to work here if Plague Island stops being the best choice for your work.

PS @toryroo was being gentle…after all, she’s Australian (ducks for nearest cover) :slight_smile:

Yes I agree with this but I think this can be documents such as proof of domicile, job / income proof and health care cover. I think the legislation states that EU cits don’t have to have a CDS (as many of us found when we tried to get them when we were still EU cits!). I’ll have a dig and work tomorrow and share what I find.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: bloody Kiwi’s :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Looking at my own link I think you are right! It says “Cette carte a la même durée de validité que votre titre de séjour. Si vous n’avez pas demandé de titre de séjour, il a la durée de séjour à laquelle vous pouvez prétendre, dans la limite de 5 ans.
Maybe some prefectures are arsey about it or maybe I misunderstood what I have heard.

This is a very wise sentence and SO true, some are just lovely and others are nothing but arsey :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Kiwis are from either North Island or South Island, Australians are from West Island. :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hi, just picking up on this thread as another question has come to light. For my wife to apply for CDS, we’re saying that I DO NOT need a CDS but I do need to justify my right to be legally resident?

My plan is to work for my current UK company for the allowed 180 days then look to register as an auto-entrepeneur thereafter. How do I therfore prove my right for residency if for the first 6months I will not be bringing anything to the French tax table?

I do not think this is an option.
I am not sure what the allowed 180 days that you refer to is, but as far as I know, if you live and work in France you must start paying your cotisations and tax here from Day 1.

As a European you have freedom of movement to live and work in france - but within French laws on things like taxation. So depends on your status (salaried.self employed, cross-border) how you do it, but.do it you must. Can’t just work while you are physically in the country without some administration! France doesn’t recognise digital working.

1 Like

Be very careful. Even remote working for a UK company means you, and the company that employs you, are both liable for all employee and employer social charges.

I’ve had advice there is a “tolerance” of about 25% of your time. Someone also recently posted that until November, due Covid, this isn’t really being enforced by the French.

Also although I haven’t had time to look into it, a cross- border financial adviser hinted at something about “Foreign Controlled Companies” (UK terminology) potentially being an issue and that if a sole Director of a UK Ltd becomes resident in another country, then there is some extra stuff about Foreign Controlled Companies to be aware of.

I am always very honest and I don’t work in France. Occasionally I might if on a long train journey to and from work, and very occasionally in an airport lounge awaiting a flight, in France. So I am a pure frontalier. I do not intend to work in France even remotely. I’ve even worked in third countries where a client did want me to work remotely, to avoid that.

Your S1 will protect you from the social charges but not from all of them - they tend to be more significant than taxation unless your salary is very high.

I’m clearly very misinformed about this and need to do some more research. That said, my assumption rightly or wrongly was that you could work in another country that’s part of the Double Taxation Agreement for up to 180 days. Have I got this wrong and how would this 180 days work in my case?

People are a lot more expert than me on this one, but I think you may be confusing tax residency and double taxation. If you work in another country and are actually living there for more than 180 days, you become tax resident (with certain provisos) and therefore are taxable in that country. If you are physically not present in that country for that length of time then you are taxed in whichever country you are resident and either get a double taxation relief for any tax charged in the “minor” country or you get a refund directly from the “minor” country.

It’s a bit more complicated than that but that is my understanding and experience and I just know that others will correct me if I’m wrong :smiley:

1 Like

What do you mean by “another country that’s part of the Double Taxation Agreement”?
Tax treaties are normally bi-lateral, between two countries. I am not aware of any tax treaties that cover a whole bunch of countries. The FR-UK tax convention is available on line and I think it would be a very good idea for you to read it because I do not recall anything about an 180 day rule. You may be thinking of the UK-Spain tax treaty?
There is also social security issue to consider.

1 Like

As a European you have freedom of movement to come and live and work in France.

If you were just visiting, after 181 days you cross the line of tax residency. There is an unofficial tolerance for visitors doing the odd bit of work here without declaring, but not full time permanent work

However as I understand it, if you plan to settle then France considers you to be a stable resident after 3 months, and the whole of the period from day 1 would be declared in you first tax return. Intention is important.

You cannot physically be in France and work without declaring it here. You may pay no tax, but it still has to be declared. And you or your employer might incur social charges.

Thanks Jane, makes sense.

hi if you are of working age I would recommend you don’t move here. I have seen too many people move here and go through hard times. better to stay in the UK.

Personally I would say that working people are better protected in France. Sure it can be hard to establish a business, but if you speak French and are not planning to rely on focusing on just the British for your customers then you can have a good quality of life.

(Edit: just read your profile which suggests that’s what you did. French people know what it costs to employ artisan.)

1 Like