Night Storage Heaters 2023

For something like that kitchen I’d use a fan heater: quick, effective, directional if needed and no more expensive than a convector when used with the built in thermostat. But Marks suggestion of a log burner is better from a cost perspective.

2 Likes

I use a log burner generally, but also use two oil heaters. Imo they’re great if you want to heat a room. They operate with a thermostat and you set your desired temperature. They also have timers, but I haven’t used that function. I purchased one new and one at a much lower cost from leboncoin. They use almost no elec to operate the fan and you can purchase enough oil for the winter when it’s on offer at a lower cost. They can heat a room quickly and then they just tickover. Sounds like it could be a good solution for you. Below is one example of many, and now is probably a good time to buy, coming to the end of Winter.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/electromenager/2502169148.htm

1 Like

Moisture is the issue, along with expense.

My house is, as was described on a post back-along when I bought it as, “shoddy modern French building”.

I had no idea that houses could be built like this but I now understand that it is a postwar ‘pre-fab’. Not a pre-fab as I remember them in England - a small step up from those ‘mobile [holiday] homes’ but quick, cheap, post war housing.

I already have convector heaters. They are extremely effective but too expensive to run. It costs €5-6/day to heat the sittingroom. €150-180/month just for this room? No can afford.

I’m looking for a way to do it that is less expensive.

It is the type of overblanket/throw designed to be ‘worn’ like a giant shawl. It’s very effective.

I have the default van/lorry/coach heater - the Eberspacher diesel blown air heater. Fantastic. On my late Movano I had the switch on a panel by the bed. A press of the button, a whirring sound from under the van and in 15 mins a van warm enough to get out of bed and dress in comfort, even on a bitterly cold winter morning at 2500m on the Spanish mesa.

The camper van world is now all in with Chinese knock-offs of the Ebbie. <€100, hand held remote controls … very popular with the shed/workshop mob, too. At that price you could buy 4 for the cost of the single outlet Ebbie.

mass H2O = 200 g C3H8 × (1 mol C3H8 / 44.096 g C3H8) × (4 mol H2O / 1 mol C3H8) × (18.015 g H2O / 1 mol H2O

mass H2O = 327 gms/1 litre propane burned. That’s a lot. It’s what gas heaters are know for.

I have considered this. My neighbour, a retired HVAC engineer who very kindly swapped out my old 200L balon for a new 100L one, gratis, doesn’t reckon my house is suitable, [to comply with norms] without a level of expense that makes cash-flow better spent with EDF and the electric heaters.

The electric rad in the kitchen comes on a 07:00 and stays on all day. It’s the one room, for obvious reasons, that I am bound to use, morning, noon and night. In fact I now ‘live in it’.

I have a fan heater in the minute salle de l’eau. Does a good job.

It may well be the way I go and the devil take the hindmost, moisture-wise.

Gotta do summat! It’s 7.8C in my sitting room a.t.mo! :persevere:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It really boils down to basic physics versus expense. It takes X energy, whatever the source, to raise the temp to YC.

Surely your funds would be better spent insulating the place properly? From your descriptions it sounds to me as if all your problems are due to excessive heat loss, rather than inefficient heaters.

3 Likes

Strange after a year that this topic has suddenly become ‘hot’ - no pun intended. :wink:
Since I posted and stated that I was dissatisfied with the cheap oil filled radiator offerings I carried on investigating what was out there. I ended up finding a Spanish company and its products ‘Elnur Gabarron’. I looked at the different models they sold and finally after some deliberation settled on the ECOHH40. This is quite a useful unit with a lot of interesting features. If you have solar power it can even be programmed to charge up the heat retaining bricks when you are getting solar power otherwise it will charge up during the cheap power tarif. This model is heavy when loaded with the bricks - over 150+ kgs. I did not realise how popular these heaters were in Spain, it seems that they are used quite lot in many areas during the Winter months.
We do not have central heating. We rely on a single wood burner in our Snug/small living TV room attached to the large kitchen. Even though we have the door open between the two rooms the heat from the wood burner rarely radiates past the door into the kitchen. We use several of the latest Tectro paraffin heaters in various parts of the house as and when they are required. They quickly heat up the room and really do not effect the humidity or make horrible smells.
Insulation on our property is poor and the heat does go up through the roof. Due to its poor design it would really be a major hassle and a large cost to insulate it. I know that this would solve a big problem but I am now not prepared to take it on. The next custodian of the property will have to do it should they wish to do so. I have just installed some new double glazing and this has helped. Oh I forgot the floor is quite bad as far as letting drafts blast up from the cellar when the wind blows hard! Back to the storage heater it has definitely improved things and if programmed correctly it does not consume too much electricity. I found a French supplier and I had to contact Elnur Gabarron in Spain to get this model shipped to the French supplier/agent who then sent it on to me but I think the hassle was worth it.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing - I just had a quick look at the website and looks interesting. I’d be interested to know how much you paid for your unit(s) and the wattage size or kwhr storage capacity :+1:

The actual model I purchased is the Ecombi ECO40 ARC

The Elnur Gabarron HHR solar storage heater is the first solar storage heater on the market offering a sustainable green way to heat your home and save money on energy bills for those with solar energy generators.

These smart high heat retention solar storage heaters benefit from double insulation to retain heat for longer and are fan assisted to ensure the most efficient output of heat.

Ecombi HHR solar storage heaters feature Elnur’s solar manager technology which detects the amount of surplus self-generated solar energy and intelligently distributes energy across the installed heaters and adapts the heater output to the amount of energy available. If there is not enough solar energy available the heaters will still operate as a conventional storage heater and charge from the grid during off-peak hours.

Ecombi HHR solar storage heaters benefit from an integrated G control system allowing the heaters to be controlled via Wifi on the Elnur app from anywhere with an internet connection. The app also allows users to view statistics on their heater use. The G control system is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing you to control your heater with your voice.

ECOHHR40 SOLAR features Elnur’s exclusive “IEM” (Integral Energy Manager) which automatically adjusts the amount of charge the heater takes overnight based on the current climate and daily user demand. This ensures energy efficiency whilst keeping the room to the user’s comfort. A fully programmable daily and weekly timer allows the users to set heating schedules easily to suit their requirements whilst a balancing heating element provides faster room warm-up times and is capable of supplementing stored heat as and when required.

Open Window technology which automatically shuts off the heater if a sudden drop in temperature is detected, preventing wasted heat if windows or external doors are left open. Elnur ECOHHR heaters also benefit from Adaptive Start technology which ensures that the heater prewarms the room in order to reach the set temperature at the programmed time.

Most Ecodesign compliant storage heaters require two electricity supplies one off-peak and one on peak and all storage heaters require an economy 7 meter to benefit from the low cost, off-peak energy. However, if you have an unrestricted economy tariff meter these Elnur Gabarron solar storage heaters are the ideal choice, as they accept a single or dual electricity supply.*

Please Note: Elnur Ecombi solar storage heaters require the addition of 1 Elnur Solar Box per home to allow for the integral control and management of the heaters with the G Control System

Please note that cost savings can only be made if the house has an unrestricted E7 or E10 tariff variant from their energy provider, allowing the heaters to operate 24/7 and be charged off-peak prices during off-peak hours and peak prices during peak hours.

Key Features of Elnur Gabarron ECOHHR40 SOLAR Storage Heater:

• High Heat Retention Solar Storage Heater
  • Solar Manager Technology - Adapts Heater Output to Available Energy & Distributes Energy Intelligently Across Heaters
  • Draws from the Grid During Low Cost Off-Peak Hours if Solar Energy is Low
  • Integrated G Control - Enables Wifi Connection & Control of Heaters Via App
  • Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
  • Integral IEM Technology - Only Uses Energy Required by Detecting Climate and Learning User Habits
  • Compatible with Two-Period Off Peak Electric Tariff in Single 24-Hour Period
  • Open Window Detection
  • Adaptive Start Function
  • Three Operating Modes (Comfort, Economy, Frost Protection)
  • Daily and Weekly Programmable Timer
  • Fan Assisted Heat Distribution for Fast Room Warm Up
  • Temperature Sensor with Calibration Option
  • Built-In Aluminium Balancing Heat Element Provides Quicker Warm Up
  • Thermostat Range: 0°C - 30°C
  • Temperature Accuracy within 0.1C, Meaning Less Accidental Energy Wastage
  • High Quality Class 1 Insulation Materials with Low Thermal Conductivity
  • Front, Side and Rear Air Isolating Chambers
  • High Density Heat Retention Blocks
  • Safety Thermostat with Manual Reset
  • Steel Construction with Epoxy Powder Coating RAL 9010
  • IP Rating: IP2X
  • Input: 3.4kW
  • Output: 1.1kW
  • Max. Energy Storage: 24.4kWh
  • Height: 730mm
  • Width: 1170mm
  • Depth: 195mm
  • Number of bricks: 24
  • Weight in total: 183kg
  • Fully SAP Compliant
  • EcoDesign Lot20 Compliant
  • Warranty: 5 Years
Model Number ECOHHR40 SOLAR
Brand Elnur Gabarron
Electric Heater Type Storage Heater
Product Type Solar HHR Storage Heater
Storage Core Stainless Steel
Heats Up To 8m²
Heater Location: Living Room, Hallway, Bedroom, Kitchen
Dimensions (HxWxD): 730mm x 1170mm x 195mm
Programmable Controls 7 Day
Electronic Controller Integrated Elnur G Control
Wi-Fi Compatible Yes
Wi-Fi Connectivity Yes
Mounting Wall Mounted
Child Lock Yes
Safety Cut Out Yes
Adaptive Start Yes
Open Window Detection Yes
Heat Output Rating: 1100W
Input 3480W
Wattage 1100W
Rated Charge Period 7.6-7 Hours
Max Storage Capacity 24.4kWh
Thermostat Type Electronic
Thermostat Range 0-30°C
Thermostat Accuracy Within +/- 0.1°C
Heating Element Type Stainless Steel
Electric Supply 240V
Off Peak Supply Required (Economy 7)
Colour White
IP Rating IP2X
Cable Exit Point Bottom Right
Cable Length Installer Supplied
Installed Weight 183KG
Number of Energy Cells (Bricks) 24
SAP accredited Yes
Warranty 5 Years

930 Euros delivered

Badger, you are perfectly correct. Insulation of the 120mm thick walls - some sort of fibre [+amiante :slightly_frowning_face:] panels exterior, plywood [?] interior walls - is non-existent. The insulation in the attic could be improved a great deal, esp after Sparks pulled up some boards to install spots for the rooms below and did not replace the insulation or boards :persevere:

I am in the situation/position described by Greg CA.

I will do my best in the attic but the walls are only suitable for wholesale major works. I can’t afford that. There may be some sort of grant aid for stuff like that but it often comes with a minimum sizeable spend …

What do you think of Webasto vs Eberspacher. I’ve had people with boats say they won’t touch Eberspacher as unreliable and they stick with Webasto.

Not so. Eberspacher are pretty much the universal heater for HGVs, coaches and buses.

My yottie bertholders had them as well. Mine has operated perfectly in my Movano. It now awaits installation in my Trafic.

Word in the DIY camper world is that the Chinese copies work very well, are a steal at £80-100 but the quality of the parts of Ebbies are in a different league.

At this price, they’d better be!

10x the price of the Chinese copy!

But nobody in the DIY camper/home workshop biz are buying Eberspacher/Webasto now.

The fixed instalation models are heating sheds and workshops worldwide now. Crikey O’Riley, they even have Bluetooth control!

Webasto are a solid option. They are more common as combo space heating AND hot water systems in boats and big campers/mohos.

2 Likes

Thanks Captainendeavour very interesting.

Either your rooms are enormous or all the heat is simply going outdoors… :frowning:

Presumably this is your first winter in the property… and I suggest you stay with heating the smallest rooms… as you seem to be doing… with a dry, instant heat eg electric.
Can’t be that expensive for the few weeks which are left before decent weather returns.

if you use gas or oil or diesel… you’ll need to ensure sufficient ventilation… much more, ventilation in fact, than if you use dry heat…

Later, you’ll need to sort insulation… which should be free to really low-income people.

(personally, I don’t like storage radiators… I like electric heaters which heat when I want them to and that will depend on the weather… :wink: )

1 Like

The issue experienced in canal boats with radiators and Eberspacher or Webasto is that the units ‘short cycle’ as there are usually too few radiators for the units to deliver the hot water to. In terms of reliability, as long as they are serviced or not allowed to ‘short cycle’ they are relatively reliable.

1 Like

Second. The diff being the massive hike in lekky, from €80 p.m. to €147 p.m.

Insulation is indeed the issue that needs addressing. I don’t call this house ‘The Plywood Shack’ for nothing - 'cos that’s what it is!

It was built the year that Calder Hall, the world’s first nuke power station, was switched on by H.M. Q.E.II. A gov minister prophesied that “soon, electricity will be too cheap to meter”

Back in 1958, that looked a possibility. Unfortunately we have to wait for nuke fusion for that.

There are lots of grants, mainly national but also some local ones to help. If you’re income is lower than a certain amount and your DPE is bad, you may be able to get a veru sizeable chunk of the cost back.

2 Likes

have you checked your Bill to see just why this massive increase ???
Has your actual Use increased that much ???

1 Like

EDF hiked it on account of an excess of about €400 over the D.D. total paid for the first 12 months and also the substantial increase in the cost/kWh,

I am a demon for checking my account - p.m/p.d./p.hr. I have been learning the ways of all-electric heating and have been tweaking the system constantly to make best use of it.

Good old Normandy. I try to avoid using the t/dryer. I just put out a load of washing on the line. The sun was shining, rather weedily to be sure. It is now, <10 mins later, lashing down with rain. :slightly_frowning_face: The large blue patch to the west has been filled in by ‘the great grey duvet’.

More or less.

Ultimately it takes x kWh of heat to raise the temperature of V m3 of “stuff” (mainly air) to T°C

The cost of doing so is then p * x dollareuropounds where p is the price per kWh

So there’s a lot to tweak.

As you’ve noticed the “p” for electricity is high so getting that down will reduce the cost - storage heaters are only going to do that if you’re on heures creuses/plein and heat them with the cheap(er) overnight rate.

Moving to a different fuel could reduce p - paraffin has an energy density of 41-43kJ/g and a density of about 0.8 - so 1l weighs about 800g and produces 42*800 = 33600kJ, 33.6MJ or about 9.3kWh when burnt - given the typical price for pétrole of 22€ for 20l that’s about 12¢ a kWh which compares favourably to the current tariff bleu cost of 25.16¢.

Moisture, as you point out is a problem but you can fix that by running a dehumidifier - which will contribute a tiny bit of electrical heating. You do need to buy one with a decent extraction capacity though.

Reducing T can help - you mentioned 20° as a target, 18° should still be fairly comfortable and if the ambient is 8° getting to 18 rather than 20 is going to save 16% in costs.

Finally reduce V - heating a smaller space, which you have done, is good in the short term but “V” includes losses (heating volume which is no use to you) so insulation etc as already mentioned - but go for low hanging friut, fixing draughts is excellent bang for buck in reducing heating costs and secondary glazing might be an option if you can’t afford double glazing everywhere (or even if you already have it).

That’s a mite bracing :cold_face:

2 Likes

OH bought a tumble drier in UK and after we discovered how much it cost to use it… we gave it away…

I do laundry as and when there is sufficient non-rain to allow clothes to drip their hearts out… outdoors… letting 'em finish off in the bathroom if necessary, so no extra heat/electrics required…

it takes time and patience to get one’s leccy sorted and we will each have different ideas and preferences…

Incidentally EDF are suggesting that folk should air all their rooms daily… to let moisture out… as (they say) it takes more energy to heat wet-air… ???

for us, the family Bathroom is an ideal finishing area for laundry as it is tiled and loves fresh air blowing in… and, once the window is slammed firmly shut again … it takes only moments to get it back to nicely warm…

I remember that quote in the 1970’s when we were told fusion was “5 years away” (it remained “5 years away” for the next 50 years though I think realism has finally landed somewhat in the fusion industry).

It’s odd that France has lots of “cheap” energy sources - nuclear, wind, solar but still finds it necessary to charge a fair chunk per kWh.

Probably about right - wasn’t it still being held about 14¢ at the time due to the 5% cap on price rises.

I confess our place is challenging to heat even with a heat pump, but not even we’re at 5-6€ per day just to heat one room.

1 Like