Not there yet

Hi Debra, my name is Charles and i have been living for 10 years in the Gers, which is west of the Aude. Before finding my ultimate paradise here, i did some househunting in the Langedoc Rousillon area, plus the Aude. I can picture certain attractions to your choice beiing an artist, the aude is lovely and special! That said it would be smart to start French language lessons as soon as possible,,, We expats will always run into small and or larger obstacles when dealing with such a monumentally big move to a Foreign country; culture. Beiing able to express, follow and communicate desires wants and wishes on your own here,will benefit if ones French language skills are sufficient. Coming from SF cal. 39 years then 12 in Holland amsterdam ,i new there would be large differences on a move to a rural southwest french environment. My career is traditional chinese medicine and realized early on that the first 5 years would be a struggle to build a business. I was right! We used a women named Palma B. whose business is called Feet in France , basically to help foreigners to prepare and ease into such a big transition, shes fluent in French and English, plus knows all the details of the beauracracy hurdles we expats will face? Cant say enuf how helpful her services were! Im sure there are others closer to the Aude that offer similar services, and would be good to locate someone like this prior to your big move. I dont regret in anyway my choice to move here ,as the quality of life has improved immensely! and have negotiated a path thru many obstacles, in my 10 years with a little luck and hard headedness Which i believe are both necesary in order to make such a big move successful. You can always call me personally to chat if youd like ! Go for it Charles

Bonjour Nancy...

I am always happy to meet another artist, even one who describes herself as a dabbler in art. If you love to express yourself through art, you are an artist.

The Languedoc-Roussillan region in the south of France has many features that appeal to me. I chose Quillan due to a number of things. It is inexpensive to live there. There are train and bus stations in the commune. I can take a bus to Carcassonne for one euro. It is unlikely I will need a car and the expenses that go with one. I want to live in the town center where I can walk to the varied local stores and businesses. I think Quillan is beautiful as it is located at the foothills of the Pyrenees and the Aude river runs through it. There are two weekly markets, many festivals, an amazing bibliotheque, and a variety of outdoor activities to try. It is a short drive to the Mediterranean and traveling to Spain requires a train ride of only a few hours. There are many stone houses...some dating to the 1600's or older...that have been renovated and modernized. There is even a chateau overlooking Quillan. One can buy a three bedroom, fully furnished house for 65,000 euros. It is a short drive to the Mediterranean and traveling to Spain requires a train ride of only a few hours. (Does it sound as though I am smitten?)

I look forward to exploring the area, creating paintings of Quillan and the entirety of Europe.

Now, why did you choose La Rochelle?

Bonjour Debra,

I'm also an American (living in California), planning to move to La Rochelle in June/2016. I have also quietly stayed in the background of this website, until I knew more about my plans. In addition to your question, I am wondering if there are folks, like myself, who dabble in art (mixed media journaling, mosaics) in that region (Poitou-Charentes).

How did you choose Quillan, as the city you want to live in?

Best,

Nancy