Really? … If anything I would have assumed it was the Toilet No 2
I thought it was…ummm…a condom?
Plonker definitely = penis.
I believe it is quite popular.
As I said, back in the day, I set up an Ampache server - it was much too much effort for the amount of use that I got out of it.
Certainly in mine
Mine too.
![]()
Gordon B… what a load of tosh !
no wonder more and more people are besotted with their phones and other electronic stuff… no need to actually speak and risk being misunderstood…
![]()
and for the record.. I may be somewhatb elderly but I don’t date back to the 1920’s nor do I know anyone who does. Life and language has moved on since then…
I was looking for a poster called Gordon B to see what he had written!![]()
My eyes glazed over too.
Sorry, my fingers weren’t working properly…
I’ve taken my medication and, so far, all is well ![]()
It’s just a gentle way of calling someone a dick, made apparently innocent through OFAH.
Root Words and Origins:
“Pull”: The word “pull” derives from Old English “pullian,” which means to draw or drag. Its usage as a verb in the context of bringing something towards oneself has evolved over time.
“Plonker”: This term is British slang, believed to have originated from the British military in the 1960s. It has been linked to the word “plonk” (to drop or fall), and the variation “plonker” has come to mean someone foolish or inept. It can also imply that someone is being naive or gullible.
Grammatical or Structural Nuances:
The phrase follows a typical colloquial structure with a verb (“pull”) followed by a noun (“someone’s plonker”). In this context, “plonker” is used as a way to refer humorously or lightheartedly to a man’s genitalia. This double entendre makes the phrase humorous and reflects a characteristic feature of British slang, where terms often have playful or ironic meanings
And then there is Knobhead.
Does this mean a head shaped like a door knob, or something similar.
And of course airhead. Not someone with a full head of hair but a head with nowt in it.
In my world that is what plonker has always meant, so is not a word I use as I really avoid anything with connotations of genitalia. Maybe it’s a London thing,
![]()
No idea whether “it’s a London thing” .. I’d never heard the word Plonker until Only Fools and Horses… and I’ve used it quite happily since then if the situation warrants it similarly to that during the episodes.
and there were no complaints to BBC, which there certainly would have been if the word was taken to mean anything at all “naughty”… ![]()
I think we can go round and round the houses about this word or that word. Times and words are changing. I can’t keep up with a lot of it and simply continue to be myself.
If anyone thinks I’ve been anything less than correct, they don’t know me and/or have made an incorrect judgement…
![]()
I’m a Londoner and have never used the word ‘plonker’ or thought of anyone as a plonker. More likely thought ‘dipstick’ but very rarely. I never swore despite dad being a London black-cab-driver all his life. Never knew dad to swear at home, but crawling along in chaotic London traffic? Maybe!
Interestingly, or not, plonk was used in the Met to describe a woman Constable.
Gordon Bennett was a sequence of prewar road races , back in the days when cars were very unreliable ..Why and how it became a polite form of cuss word ..perhaps it’s what people said when the wooden spokes on their wheel had snapped off due to a deep road rut .
Steptoe and son first use?
I’ve never thought of it as a cuss word (even a polite one).. for me Gordon Bennett is the same as saying Good Grief, Well I Never… etc ![]()
“Because his name constantly appeared in the news alongside outrageous or shocking events, the British public began using his name as an expression of astonishment”
I thought it was used as replacement for or more polite version of gor blimey which is blasphemous isn’t it? (And which I’ve never actually heard anyone say in real life, only read) just because of the coincidence of the sound.
This is my assumption too. A bit like saying sausages instead of sh1t.
