Office vs Bureau

Yes, for me a utility room is where the washing machine is, plus any drier, drying line, sink to wash stuff from the garden, possibly muddy boot keeping or drying space, possible vacuum or other machine and some light tool storage, etc.

Buanderie is specifically for laundry. You may call it a utility room but it’s a home laundry.

The office is like a prep room off a kitchen or a lab, you do minor stuff there like peeling vegetables, with your couteau d’office :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Came across another one today that I hadn’t seen before. Vestiaire – changing room.

Gyms, public pools, many workplaces have them. After all in English the vestry is the place in a church where the clerics and choral bods get their glad rags on.

3 Likes

That’s familiar to me from my very brief career as an altar server. It’s the room in which you donned your ecclesiastical kit and swigged the communion wine.

Hmm not sure about that. Office is not old school

Latin not old enough for you blade46? :slight_smile:

Brian has it “I assumed it was derived from the Latin Officium, with a sense of necessary, duty, ceremony or courtesy etc.”

1 Like

In English resto kitchens a small paring knife is an’ office knife’ and in English possibly comes from the much older sense of ‘offices’ as services or religious duties.

1 Like

I posted a few weeks back about Vestaire Collective which is a site for s/h expensive clothes.

Hello…may I chip in? :slightly_smiling_face: Office is used in the sense of a function. So Offices Alimentaires actually implies ‘Culinary jobs or duties’. Définitions : office - Dictionnaire de français Larousse

3 Likes

Quisquilia

2 Likes

A perfect example that proves that the ê in vêtements has a secret s behind it as per the ^ on the e, that has long disappeared as in vêtements closely related to vestiare

Oh good heavens, I’m having a pedant attack! You can tell with all this quisquiglia, that I’m procrastinating as I should be doing something else right now.

3 Likes

Pedantry helps maintain standards (QA in modern Brit speak) otherwise God (if such a being exists) only knows where we’d be…

1 Like

@KarenLot and @brian. Well we can be pedantic but thought we were talking about common French usage. Didn’t you or are you just insisting for the sake of it?

1 Like

has developed from other languages - particularly Latin - which inform current usage. Or are we back to ‘playing chess with pigeons’?

Yes - if someone isn’t there to do their job you can be nommé d’office.

Spotted my first one in a clinique chirurgicale where I’d gone for a cataract operation. I’ve never been to a gym, sadly.

I think we can chuck in the “officine” of a pharmacist into that mix for good measure :wink: which is the place where a pharmacist used to carry out the preparation, work up and formulation of medicines for dispensing.

1 Like

And still do quite often :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like