Oh look...another Brit retiring to France

One of the really annoying things about french bureaucrocy is, for example, at the moment there are many of us are applying for a CdS. The french government has a list of what information is required, but certain Prefectures, including Macon, have their own lists and are asking for more information.
This is totally different from fonctionnaires who seem to operate their own rules according to what side of the bed they got out of in the morning.
Strangely, there seems to be an opinion, with which we can concur, that the tax fonctionnaires are exceedingly helpful, which is at odds with government who have tried to treat social charges as a tax and applied them to people who do not depend upon the french government for their health care.
We know people who have left Italy to come and live here in France.
For them it was the corruption that was rife throughout everyday transactions.

1 Like

Not really…the move to France was always going to happen, but dependent on selling our Italian home/business first. Which thanks to the Brexit vote took rather longer than expected (!)
At first, we were lulled into a false sense of security in the soothing belief that the rights and privileges UK expats in Europe currently have would be maintained. It was only when it slowly began dawning we were being cut loose and left to our own devices that deep unease started setting in. Hence our Italian citizenship applications for reasons I’ve explained.
TBH, even though our applications have been approved (and yes, the process was actually quite straightforward, and officialdom helpful rather than obstructive), the fact that the wait period’s now been doubled from 2 yrs to 4 - with additional hurdles now also to be overcome - I’m guessing our applications might lapse by default. But then again as with all things Italian - who knows ?

I have every sympathy with your decisions about where you live and do business, Inglese. My own very short-lived experience of setting up a small business in a foreign jurisdiction taught me that one has to be very light on one’s feet to survive.

I hope your bid for Italian citizenship on the basis of 11 years active residency succeeds despite your wish to come to France to live and to work.

My only concern is that your application for Italian citizenship will be thwarted by some bureacrat who queers your pitch out of spite. It’s a given now that money can buy citizenship, if you can cough up enough dosh, which sweetens the breath of anyone murmuring an oath of undying loyalty to their new motherland. No questions asked. :wink::+1::innocent:

Depends where you are applying to. Some countries are considerably more venal than others.

Padrone stimato…Getting time off from work for good behaviour over the past several decades, so coming to France to not work. Though I do plan to sit in the sun and drink red wine. A better use of my hard-earned €€€ than bribing a bureaucrat. Che sara sara…

Others have already said it but (from experience of going through the French process) if the situation was reversed (applying for French nationality and moving to Italy), they’d simply bin your dossier as it wouldn’t (in their eyes) be worth the paper it’s written on. I hope, for your sake, that the Italian system looks at naturalisation in a far lighter-hearted non-commital way (it isn’t juste a carte de séjour!) in bocca al lupo :wink:

2 Likes

If it’ll take 4 years to complete processing of your Italien citizenship application you’ll be so close to permanent residency in France that it does seem a bit of a red herring to me. And like other I think it highly likely that your change of residency will scupper it. Friends of our are a Brit/Italian couple, his citizenship was turned down as he spends a few months back in UK every year - but that could easily be that particular official.

Q2. Is the fact that I’m a Brit who’s lived in Italy for 11 years going to give the local Mairie a fit of the vapours ?

Our local Marie would not give a hoot where you come from. They are only interested in the here and now. The important bit is that you are an EU citizen, which of the 27 countries you come from wouldn’t interest them at all.

Q3. Might the fact that I have an Italian Health card remove the need for any private cover needed before (if ?) I ever qualify for the French system ?

What’s the difference between an Italian Health card and an NHS card? Neither give you any cover if you are non-resident. Having said that we never had private cover for first 3 months and no one ever asked us for it.

Q4. Should I present my Italian ID card - or UK passport - to the Mairie as proof of identity and…er…general pro-EU attitude ?

They won’t care. French are used to ID cards so they are recognised. However for other things because you are a UK national, not an Italian nation/citizen, then the UK passport is your legal identity.

Q6. Is the last 11 years non-UK residency in another EU country going to make a blind bit of difference to anything.

Nope.

2 Likes

David I think if you have managed to deal with the Italian Administration for 11 years you have earned your stripes and deserve Italian Citizenship ! I’m sure there are many people who have gained it with a lot less comittment Knowing how much wheeling and dealing there is in that beautiful country ,you may just be OK.
I could be in a similar situation to you if I have to return to UK to look after my mum before my French citizenship comes through( if I am successful of course)I have been told 8 months to a year after interview and would be informed within 4 months if not(just got through that,so fingers crossed)
Another thought,have you sorted out your Italian pension contributions ?,I’m trying to track down my sisters French social security no for the 2 years she worked here in the 80s,The Italian Pension authorities have had no luck or no reply from the French ones for a year so I have agreed to give it ago

@Carol As my Italian citizenship won’t come through much before late 2021, I’ll take things as they come at that time - though the one thing the last 11 yrs have taught me is the only thing predictable about Italy is its unpredictability…
And as for a pension - no. Don’t get one from Italy.

Very much hope your own French citizenship plans won’t be affected too badly if you do have to go back to the UK - and same applies to your sister’s pension.

Crepi…

Changing subject entirely, but keeping with the theme of Brits retiring to France, I see David Cameron has tired of his sojourn and has decided that he wants to return to British politics, “perhaps as foreign secretary”.

It seems he has no shame, understanding of his disastrous effect on the country or comprehension of how reviled he is in Westminster.

1 Like