Oldest Gadgets

But ther is market for the older machines back home I often see ads from people looking too buy 30 year old stuff like dishwashers allot of go on export to country’s in Africa

@Bajen
I just notices in another thread that you only moved a few weeks ago… perhaps the new owners of your old house have no use for the relic dishwasher and would be glad for you to take it away…

No I sold it and replaced it with a newer one In Sweden white goods must be in the house when you sell it so cooker fridge dishwashers things like that must stay when you move it’s written in the law of house selling you are not allowed to take everything with you if you have not said anything when people view the property’s and selling a house in Sweden can be really fast too not like here when it takes a minimum of 3 months there you can buy the house the same day as you view it for the fixed price ore there is a open viewing and then normally the bidding starts and the highest bidder wins and can move in directly

1 Like

You obviously have a good appetite to need two chickens

Yeah, I saw that Jonathan.
The chicks must be quail or similar.

I have run James’s through the washing machine before now and yes, it was fine!

We have one of those too, courtesy of my late South African mother-in-law and I used it last week to make some duck balls (No! - boulettes de canard).

On a technical note, yours seems more collectible as it appears to have the original plug, whereas ours has had plugs from several different countries.

I have a thick terracotta tajine that I bought in Casablanca in 1976 for one dirham, then worth about 10p. It looked so badly made that the first time I put it in the oven, I thought it might explode, but it’s now been used thousands of times and is totally reliable.

My 8 day grandfather clock has survived many generations of my family and I am the current custodian. It dates from 1750’s and still keeps perfect time. Made by Reuben Lamude of Chard in Somerset where it spent all its life before arriving here when left to me by my uncle. My hope is that it will continue to be loved by future generations but our children think it is a load of junk, it’s an IKEA world now. Perhaps our grandchildren will possess more sentimentality.

3 Likes

I think your magnificent clock is far too grand to be described as a mere ‘gadget’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

The boulettes de canard sound interesting. A collectible mixer maybe, but I’m not selling! I reckon I bought it in the UK all those years ago and we changed the plug from the original, cumbersome British standard 3-pin when we moved to France.

Talking of tagines, I have a fairly new one from Spain. Mine hasn’t exploded either, is totally reliable and remains pristine, maybe due to being used rather less than yours!

RE boulettes de canard - use your antique mixer to incorporate duck sausage meat into your favourite American-Italian meatball recipe. Put golf ball sized boules in a shallow oven proof dish. Add chicken or duck stock half way up the meatballs and cook for around half an hour in a medium hot oven until meatballs are brown on top, but remain soft underneath.

A couple of wedges of Seville orange are a very welcome addition to the stock - buy them in February, slice and freeze them (or go to Seville to escape winter in the Aveyron and pick them up for free beneath the trees that line the streets). Bon appétit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recipe! Seville is a great idea for a future project, but in the meantime my three fruit marmalade might just work…

I’m not one for gadgets but this is a Kitchamajig which I think my mum bought in the early 50s, and which I use on a daily basis along with the knife that was used as a fruit knife every evening by my grandfather to prepare (and share) an apple or pear with my grandmother.

2 Likes