Online Brokerage Recommendations

Hello bonjour everyone!

I’ve been following the FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early) movement that has been rapidly growing in North America and I’ve been an active practitioner of this sub-culture’s investment strategies. Most notably, investing in dividend-paying index funds (such as Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF which tracks the whole market and pays a dividend while doing so).

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the following in France:

- Online brokerage(s): Are there popular discount online brokerages? (Something similar to US and Canada there is Questrade, Etrade etc.)

- Tax treatment of dividends: At what rate are dividends taxed in France? Is it just added to your annual income and therefore subject to your overall income tax?

-Social Charges: Are dividends subject to social charges?

I have a feeling that this investment strategy might not be favorable/doable in France but I hope otherwise!

Thanks to anyone with any insights.

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Ravelle

I suggest you get in touch with @Brian_Furzer he’s helped out many SF members over the years, I’m sure he’ll be able to give you some pointers at the very least.

@james ok, roger that. I’ll check out @Brian_Furzer … cheers!

1 Like

Hey mate. A quick note to say gudday! Time is flying by isn’t it? Another summer in full swing. I hope you guys are doing great and if you’re ever heading towards the coast do drop by.

1 Like