Ooops! He meant well

I agree. Point taken, Jon. :+1:

You’ve quoted the article so that it looks like I put that. Those are not my words.

1 Like

I was indeed quoting the article. And I’m not really fussed about whose words they are. They’re wrong, that’s all.

It’s just the time interval that’s wrong, then, from oral ingestion to the signs of intoxication? Is this opinion anecdotal or supported by scientific evidence of some kind?

Not that it matters, the act of covertly administering a stupefactant to a person with harmful intent is a grave crime and could give rise to a long custodial sentence, I reckon, and well-deserved too.

So, Theresa, do you feel suitably crushed, now, sitting in a corner, with your pointy ‘d’ hat on, facing the wall?

I agree with the proposition that cannabis or any “stupefactant” administered sans agreement/approval of the act, is dangerous and irresponsible. The heading of the topic “oops, he meant well”, suggests a lighthearted, harmless bit of fun, that in fact, is about causing potential serious harm.

As for my final pov in the matter,
I strongly object to paternalistic put-downs.
If I approved, I might be forever making similar comments about everything alcohol related, except for quotes from Al Anon.

Alcohol misuse is a major source of fatal ailments in UK, so before picking on japesters with unthinking remarks about cannabis (and no, I know nuthin about it either) let’s have no more nudging, winking and giggling, about one single one of the over abundant, ubiquitous, liquid drugs currently drowning/murdering Britain, and costing billions.

1 Like

The title ‘Ooops he meant well’ referred to the person who took the cake in having no idea( my understanding) that the cake had been doctored.
I think some people have looked at the post as it appears on the screen without reading the article.
Am I crushed? No.

2 Likes

I read it all.
I’m glad you were not crushed.

1 Like

If I’ve learned anything on SFN it’s that a minority of posters will read a comment and decide their answer based on their opinion of the subject and what they have decided your opinion must be.
Debate is anathema to those who wish to be right regardless.
I love a good debate and if someone can back up their response I will willingly accept it even if I don’t agree.
I have had 60 years experience of a mother who thinks if you’re not with her you must be against her and sometimes derive great pleasure from winding her and similar folk up into a tight spring.

2 Likes

I’m going to “take de bait” here, Jeanette and Teresa, in the interests of polite de-bate!

No paternalistic put-downs to follow (that, of course, was the tasty bait I saw dangling over my coelocanthic head). :stuck_out_tongue:

One of my fuse-papers is the prevailing ambivalence of some men towards nurses. It’s the old “angel-tart” dualism that some men (and some women) are prone to, a sexist stereotype that has resisted anti-sexist change in wider society, and still tends to cling on. Many older doctors still hold on to chauvinistic and predatory stereotypes about nurses, and so do some, not by any means a few, patients and visitors. Sexual assaults on nurses are common, and generally under-reported.

I would be very dubious about claims to innocence by any hospital visitor who brought in as a leaving present a home made cake containing cannabis. There is very likely to have been a conspiracy around this stunt, although it would be difficult to get hard evidence.

The assumption was probably that it would be very amusing to see the nurses “off their faces”, vulnerable, pliable and “easy meat” to male predatory advances or suggestive comments. Any other interpretation is IMO irresponsibly naive. I was “in the old days” a senior nursing officer with responsibility for the welfare of several hundred young woman, and I know what indignities they had to fend off on a daily and unrelenting basis.

Offenders got more than a paternalistic put-down on my watch, I can assure you both. It can be a war-zone out there, believe me. And providing proper workplace security for women workers in the NHS is an endless battle some of us have engaged in, and still do.

1 Like

I did read the whole article, BTW. It stretches credulity to the limits. Who would take the remnants of a second hand cake to hospital as a gift of thanks?

The police have historically always acted to protect hospitals and particularly nurses from minor charges and misdemeanours on the possibly misguided but understandable grounds that nursing, like the police, is “a uniformed service”. There is an unspoken solidarity between the two professions, who ‘mind each others’ backs’.

It’s a safe inference that this operated in this stupid incident.

As I read the article the cake was left over from an 18th where it had indeed been supplied deliberately by some who have a warped sense of humour. I assume it was a whole cake.
I think that it could so easily have been me if I saw a left over cake from a party thinking that would be nice for the nurses, never dreaming it would ever be more than a harmless cake.
We’ll never know the real truth I suspect.

2 Likes

Nurses are highly skilled professionals, Teresa, and nursing is a dignified and disciplined vocation. What on earth convinces you that they would find it “nice” to be offered half-eaten left-overs from a teenager’s party as a token of thanks?

I refer you to a previous comment about posters forming an opinion and sticking to it, it seems to fit the bill here.
I posted an article, I didn’t write the article and if you think it’s fake then fine I really don’t care.

2 Likes

OK Teresa, I have no argument with that, we both have defined opinions and they aren’t going to change.

I don’t in any way hold you responsible for the act described in the newspaper, and agree you only posted it for our interest and possible comment.:grinning:

At least Peter does apologise if he thinks he’s said something out of place. Some posters could learn from him.

1 Like

Revisiting the crime scene. Too many inaccuracies to go over them all! Peter, you wove a TV tale of Mystery and Imagination!
I don’t mind any of that at all, except that there is no way to stand in any kind of judgement over anything or anyone, if you handle what might be over generously called “facts” with such indifference!
You put a spin on the story, which cast the poster, Theresa, by accident or design, into deeper shade.
No ‘nurses’ are not sure to be, or to behave as highly trained professionals!. At least a couple were recent serial killers and a few more gaoled for deaths by careless inattention, etc etc. I was briefly mistaken for_a ‘professional’ in my Brompton Hospital auxiliary nurses outfit, and what a hellish goof that was, for the poor guy who wanted a pee or something, but could only tell me in a language I’d never heard before.
And of course ‘nurses’ might be glad to tuck in to some free cake, the gift from an old gent, they had no reason to suspect of anything but his gratitude, even if it could be called “leftovers” as if crummy bits on a sticky plate! And it wasn’t.
No one said so! Was it a Harley street BUPA clinic? No, folks, it was not. There was No one to impress, eating right food in right ways.
Door opens left and in strides Jon “I was indeed quoting the article. And I’m not really fussed about whose words they are. They’re wrong, that’s all.”
Well he needs pulling back by his ear to say, “oops, sorry, my bad”!
Because he damwell ought to care, at least enough not to make bold statements about the plot, when he was just guessing.

The nurses might have been sitting eating cake for an hour, etc etc.
So oodles of time for 25 mins warm up before being off their faces.?
Can’t be arsed to check what people do when they “go off their faces”.

That’s my impression, I’m interested, in it, yet another tricky communication scenario.
I don’t hope to dismember anyone or flag any posts. I suppose time will fix everything.

Jeanette, you’re a dead ringer for Boris Johnson! Lots of swooping whooping rhetoric and blather in your last post, and putting words into my mouth (so to speak) about nurses.

For one thing, I think I may be better placed than you to know the overall quality of the British nursing profession, and able to assert truthfully, authoritatively and confidently from over a half century of direct involvement, that nurses do conscientiously strive to uphold high standards of ethical behaviour; they do do their best to avoid errors of commission and omission; and very few scoff food on duty; although there are lamentable exceptions, most nurses would regard it as piggish and slovenly to do so.

The very basic facts as reported journalistically about the Warrington poisoning was that an adulterated cake was supplied to staff at the hospital as a token of gratitude by a dear old thing, by his devoted family (Bless Their Hearts), and those who supplied it later protested it was all a mistake.

To which I say “bollocks”, a term you’ve made your own, and I cheerfully adopt for my own use here!

I make no apologies for standing up for the profession to which I still belong, although retired from active participation, and no apologies for taking idiots to task for a stupid stunt. The hospital authorities did call the police in to investigate: at least someone in authority had the nouse to see through the self-exculpatory blather of those involved, and expose it for what it was, a stupid, criminal stunt. I daresay some individuals have been given the “gypsy’s warning” about feeding their greedy faces, and taking gifts from patients, acts that might compromise their impartiality, as every sensible practitioner realises.

I acknowledge that a tiny fraction of the nursing workforce are unsuited, some are slipshod and careless, and some probably psychopathic. It is a human enterprise after all, nothing is totally beyond rebuke.

1 Like

…poor old Boris! .will he enjoy your compliment!?
I never write bollox, do I?
Could be my spell checker is a bit iffy
. I write my valued opinion, and it writes “bollox”.?

Its all wrong anyway. All you wrote.
I haven’t got time to list the errors, Pierre.
OK, you want to tell the world about a glorious profession, I can’t divide the world up into refined classifications of that kind.
And all of that has zilch to do with Theresa’s post. Plus, the drastic changes made to standards occurred, for the most part, AFTER, I did my hour and a half, quite alone, on a ward full of just post- operative heart/lung transplants.
The newer rules banned juniors, sans experience, alone anywhere in a hosp. I think. If not, they should have.
As I remember it. The guy who might have wanted a pee, had a freshly stitched up scar on his bare chest, about 18 inches long. I didnt dare
go anywhere near him, touch him, or breathe on him. And he spoke no English.
Other bells were ringing, possibly for more pees.
I think, all those with true empathy, like your good self, and with the necessary strong stomach and talent for nursing, might have worked out the needs of that guy, and all the others. Those are the Professionals.
There was no one but me, on that ward, no one to call, no one to ask, first time ever, in my part-time, aux. Nurses Outfit.
The Brompton was, I think, a private Hosp, so how much he had paid for my services, I can’t guess.
Too much, I’m sure.
I did the kind thing for everyone. I left him with his bell close by, and ran …Faster than my little fat legs would carry me.
Much as you dislike the journalist “facts” …that’s all any of us have about the reported situation.
Easy.
That’s the end of it. :innocent:

@anon78757855:. “That’s the end of it”

Aaaaamen! :innocent::joy:

Postscript to running away from pee-man in Brompton…:open_mouth:

Brompton Hospital used to be called The London Chest Hospital, not a private hospital but had a private wing. Was my first medical specialty, nursing people with pulmonary tuberculosis, like poor Mimi in La Bohème : "Your tiny hand is frozen…":cry:

TB was quite common amongst immigrants in the 1950s.

1 Like